Veranda in Alaska

ol'bob

I have read comments by quite a few people who say that a veranda is very desireable when sailing to the Carribean or Alaska. I can understand wanting a veranda in the Carribean, but isn't it too cold to enjoy in Alaska? I can't imagine sitting out on a veranda for too long a time in the cold. I would enjoy any comments you have on this subject. I hope to be sailing to Alaska in 2008. I am already booked on the Galaxy for the Carribean. :D

Merry Christmas and a very healthy new year to all!

Bob.

I was on the Mercury to Alaska back in 2004, and had a balcony. We never found it to be too cold to enjoy the balcony, and made best use of it when we sailed the Hubbard Glacier, when everyone on the ship (and I do mean EVERYONE) showed up at any open space where the glaciers could be seen. Having the balcony gave us a private viewing space without the pushing and shoving. Of course, once we had our view from our balcony, we went upstairs to join the crowds and enjoyed the view again, this time with a hot chocolate sold by the X crew. I was happy I had a choice to do this.

We did use the balcony every day at every possible chance, and when we felt a bit chilly, we put on our light rain jackets, which you'll need in Alaska anyway.

Either way, balcony or not, you'll have an unforgettable experience.

IMHO, a balcony is imperitive in Alaska. The scenery is outstanding and can be appreciated at all times of the day. We did not find the weather to be at all uncomfortable in September. I don't remember even needing more than a light jacket at any time. Granted, it may not always be that way, but it is worth the cost just in case.

I used the balcony very sporadically both times in Alaska. For me, it was too cold to spend a lot of time lounging out there. I would go out for a few minutes multiple times a day, but didn't really hang out extensively. I don't regret the cabin choice, as I had a corner FV one time and a former FOV the other time. The extra space and the bifurcated layout were worth it, with or without a balcony.

I did have a balcony and although I enjoyed it, I did not feel it was worth double the price of an interior. I would pay more for a balcony in Alaska, but not near double if I were to cruise Alaska again. It was nice having my private viewing area, but the views from the top deck of the ship are better; more of a panoramic, less obstructed view. The weather was chilly at times (I went in May) but was never so cold as to render the balcony unusable. Since it is light fairly long in Alaska, there is definitely more viewing time available.

If you can get a good deal on the balcony or if money is not a concern, then go for it. Otherwise you can still have a great experience in Alaska without a balcony.

We have been fortunate to cruise Alaska twice, once in June and another trip in September.

We spent hours each day on the balcony, especially when we were transiting the Inside Passage and Hubbard Glacier. We could never get enough of the views and pristine air.

The aft are the ultimate, but hard to get. We waitlisted for 15 months for an aft for one of the cruises and no one back there budged! They were all taken by members of our CC board. It was a love-hate kind of thing.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Join your fellow sailors on the boards when you book.

We've only cruised Alaska twice.Both times with a balcony.The balcony is surrounded on both sides.You really don't feel the weather because you're out of the wind.My husband is normally colder than I at home but on a cruise he spends a huge amount of time on the balcony.It's all about how much private time you need.Some people are sociable 100% of the time and some people need their private space.We are budget minded people but my husband has said he wouldn't cruise without a balcony.I might have to cruise without him in the future but hope not to.Our first cruise we had an ocean view stateroom and it was fine.Totally hooked us on cruising.Once we booked a balcony that was it.It's all a matter of your personal comfort level.I hope this helps...Kathy

Hi to MCNYC, beaudammit, Drew B, Gonzo70, alcpa1, Norcal Criser, and ruthandmike. Thank you all very much for your replys about verandas on Alaska cruises. They were very helpful. I am new to this board and I am happy that most of the people on the board are so friendly and willing to help those of us who need information. :confused: Thanks again, Bob.

We have cruised Alaska in an inside, an ocean view and a balcony! The inside was first and I wouldn't go back to that. Most trips have been in ocean view since some trips have been booked last minute and no balconies were available. Last trip was an ocean view after having a balcony for the previous trip and I found I really missed the balcony.

I love being able to go out their in my robe whenever something strikes me to be seen. With only an ocean view you must be dressed and run out and up the stairs and by then the viewing may have changed. With those long days there is a lot to be seen!

Along with the balcony you get a huge window,fantastic veiw.We loved going out in our robes in the morning.The steward will bring blankets if you feel you need them or want to get cozy.The veiws for us made the balcony worth it.Got plenty of use and would want one when we return..........Frank:)

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the works, but.... My (and Randy's) sincere recommendation for a cabin for an Alaska cruise is a Celebrity Suite on an M class ship. We LOVED our CS. Yes, the suite itself is VERY NICE, but the "bubble wall" of windows defies description. We could see many empty balconies, while we sat around in our robes and slippers, sipping drinks, utterly relaxed and content while the magnificence of Alaska (Hubbard Glacier, more forest and wild life than can be believed!) was on display. Life in the "bubble" is Very, VERY good. Should you decide to consider a CS for Alaska, be prepared, they go fast and run substantially more $ than a balcony.

Whatever type of cabin you decide to book for Alaska, you won't be disappointed. Alaska is incredible! I hope you enjoy your Carib cruise as well!

Happy cruising and Happy Holidays!

Denise

Archived