seasick: what's the name of the medicine?

dhmom99

and my Doc recommends the patch if we are really going to rough waters. He says for calm waters - the average person is fine with OTC products, but yes - other than ginger, they do have the frequent side effect of drowsiness. The chance of drowsiness with the patch is much less than the other meds.

I hate the thought of feeling sick on vacation. The Dramamine like pills aren't for me. Then I feel sick and sleepy. Oh joy!

A few years ago, we were sailing out of San Fran down the coast and it was in the middle of a storm. EVERYONE was sick (everywhere, I might add!) but we had the Transderm patch. The only side effect was dry mouth for us (most common side effect).

Seriously, fewer than 25% of people were in dining room and public areas - crew said this happens on rough seas - especially first night or two when people don't have their sea legs yet.

Now, I cut the patch in half - adhere it BEFORE I board the ship (4 hours before you are sailing.) Each patch lasts 3 days, cutting in half lasts twice as long. Doing this eliminated the dry mouth symptom and I was still happy and healthy. If I was headed to really rough waters, I wouldn't cut the patch. Bring on full dose!

You really need to wash your hands after touching the patch - especially avoid the eyes unless you want to have your pupils dilated insanely for several days! Generally, I only wear for 1st three days - and by then, I am set.

It works like a charm for us - and it is what diver's use. I only get 1 patch for each of us - so the cost is minimal. No drowsiness - and no nausea! http://www.transdermscop.com/

I call my Doc, he calls in the Rx - and only wants to chat to find out where we are headed and wish us well.

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.

I have used Meclizine 25 mg. I found out about this in a divers magazine. I used to snorkel alot and thought, well they would know, right? At first, Many years ago, it was available by prescription but for the last several years, it is over the counter. I get mine at Walgreens and the label, I am looking at it right now is: Meclizine Hydrochloride chewable tablets 25 mg. they are cherry flavored, yummy.

They do not make you sleepy. Imagine having a diver fall asleep.

Hope it works...

I have used Meclizine 25 mg. I found out about this in a divers magazine. I used to snorkel alot and thought, well they would know, right? At first, Many years ago, it was available by prescription but for the last several years, it is over the counter. I get mine at Walgreens and the label, I am looking at it right now is: Meclizine Hydrochloride chewable tablets 25 mg. they are cherry flavored, yummy.

They do not make you sleepy. Imagine having a diver fall asleep.

Hope it works...

Well, they don't make YOU sleepy. Sadly, it is a common side effect - one that I suffer from and still leaves me feeling seasick too.

"DRUG INTERACTIONS: Meclizine can cause drowsiness. Alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers can increase the drowsiness of meclizine and should be avoided while taking it and only after consulting the doctor. Meclizine is not recommended for children under 12 years of age.

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take meclizine and talk to your doctor if you experience

· drowsiness or dizziness;

· a dry mouth (may be relieved by sugarless gum, ice chips, saliva substitutes, or other products if bothersome);

· blurred vision;

· nervousness;

· insomnia; or

· constipation.

In fact, most of the remedies for motion sickness have the possible side effect of drowsiness - even ginger can have negative side effects. In my experience, the only one that works for me and doesn't make me drowsy is the patch. Since it works so well for me - I stopped experimenting with the bonine/meclizine types.

You will have to talk to your Dr. and see what works for you. Meclizine Hcl brand names include: Antivert, Bonine, Dramamine.

Here is more info:

http://www.drugs.com/meclizine.html

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/transderm-scop-patch.html

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/ginger.html

But the internet, of course, is not a substitute for talking to your medical professional.

Good luck!

Yikes :eek: , $79 seems like a lot, however if it's fairly certain that it works I suppose it's worth it. Has anyone else had any experience with this device? Based on the above link it seems like it's a fairly new device (there's only one customer review and it's not really for this product, but rather for its' predecessor).

Thanks,

Michael -

Where are you finding $79?? We bought ours Thur 'Magellan's' a few years ago for a Trans-Pacific crossing....they were $129! A good investment if you cruise frequently.....

I don't usually get sea sick - but since we have them - we wear them when we cruise - they seem to work for us!

I hate the 'patch' - not only does it make your mouth dry - but all your 'mucus membranes' and leaves you more susceptible to catching a cold (especially on a long sailing when everyone inboard starts to sneeze and cough!) .and you can not have a drink - not even wine! Boo-Hoo!

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/5354

You might want to try these. Not inexpensive, but they really do work.

Michael -

Where are you finding $79?? We bought ours Thur 'Magellan's' a few years ago for a Trans-Pacific crossing....they were $129! A good investment if you cruise frequently.....

I don't usually get sea sick - but since we have them - we wear them when we cruise - they seem to work for us!

I hate the 'patch' - not only does it make your mouth dry - but all your 'mucus membranes' and leaves you more susceptible to catching a cold (especially on a long sailing when everyone inboard starts to sneeze and cough!) .and you can not have a drink - not even wine! Boo-Hoo!

The product on the above link was priced at $79.00 when I clicked on it last year. You are correct, it is now listed at $129.00. Talk about INFLATION!!:eek: :eek:

Forget about the patch. I'd rather be seasick than on the wagon when on vacation ;)

and my Doc recommends the patch if we are really going to rough waters. He says for calm waters - the average person is fine with OTC products, but yes - other than ginger, they do have the frequent side effect of drowsiness. The chance of drowsiness with the patch is much less than the other meds.

I hate the thought of feeling sick on vacation. The Dramamine like pills aren't for me. Then I feel sick and sleepy. Oh joy!

A few years ago, we were sailing out of San Fran down the coast and it was in the middle of a storm. EVERYONE was sick (everywhere, I might add!) but we had the Transderm patch. The only side effect was dry mouth for us (most common side effect).

Seriously, fewer than 25% of people were in dining room and public areas - crew said this happens on rough seas - especially first night or two when people don't have their sea legs yet.

Now, I cut the patch in half - adhere it BEFORE I board the ship (4 hours before you are sailing.) Each patch lasts 3 days, cutting in half lasts twice as long. Doing this eliminated the dry mouth symptom and I was still happy and healthy. If I was headed to really rough waters, I wouldn't cut the patch. Bring on full dose!

You really need to wash your hands after touching the patch - especially avoid the eyes unless you want to have your pupils dilated insanely for several days! Generally, I only wear for 1st three days - and by then, I am set.

It works like a charm for us - and it is what diver's use. I only get 1 patch for each of us - so the cost is minimal. No drowsiness - and no nausea! http://www.transdermscop.com/

I call my Doc, he calls in the Rx - and only wants to chat to find out where we are headed and wish us well.

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.

Excellent post! Especially the warning about washing hands after handling the patch (even when removing it!) I had that happen to my eye and yes, it does last quite a while....so wash very well!

The patch works great for me...but just in case, I bring chrysillized ginger.

On the QM2, transatlantic, they serve ginger after dinner each night.

Good luck all and remember to take before you leave. Once you feel sick, it is hard to shake.

Michael -

I drink wine, champagne, etc. while wearing the patch....have never had a problem. ;)

Glad I found this post. I don't like taking meds and hubby takes heart medication, so we bought the Seabands. I think I will get some crystallized ginger or ginger capsules to take just in case.

Neither one of us has ever been sick on a boat, and I can read while I'm in the car, so hope we'll be good to go, but will still take preventative measures.

Count me as one who, after using it on six cruises, had a very strange reaction to the patch. Although I felt fine on the cruise - no seasickness, no droswiness - I found, in the weeks that followed, I have very spotty remembrance of the cruise. It is as if my memory has "holes" in it. This has concerned me so much that I'm swearing off the patch and trying ginger and Bonine for my Alaskan cruise in June.

We are going to Alaska on the Star in 81 days. Hope you will take the time to tell us about your trip! It is our first cruise and first visit to Alaska. 28 more days of school and then I can really be excited about cruising.(not that I'm not already excited... My husband gets seasick so he is a little concerned. He has worn patches before on planes and has used Dramamine. Not sure what we'll look at this time. That wristband thingy looks mighty tempting. I don't want him to not like cruising. I may want to go again sometime. Hope you have a good time in 11 days, 3 hours, and 55 minutes!

I take Bonine starting the night before the cruise, every night of the cruise and for a couple nights afterwards to prevent "land sickness"! I take it at night, so if there's any drowsiness, I just sleep through it. :)

I've used the Scopamine patch before, but had problems with my eyes getting very dilated. It was quite uncomfortable.

I haven't tried Ginger, but one thing to remember is that it is a blood thinner, so if you have any blood disorders or bleeding problems, be careful with taking it in large doses. Also, don't take it if you are trying to get pregnant, or are in the 1st trimester as it can cause miscarriage.

How many ginger tablets should you take?

How much crystalized ginger to eat? Can you take Bonine AND ginger?????????

I used the patch one time on a fishing trip in rough waters. It sure worked but my mouth was so incredibly dry I couldn't wait to get it off!

I am the world's worst motion sick person and bonine works for me! I take it one night before the cruise and I also take ginger tablets just in case. I take bonine for a couple more days and then quit. It seems I get my sea legs and all is well. My worst time is in the evening getting ready for dinner. I get a closed in feeling and the queasies can sometimes hit me. Fresh air is always helpful! We have crusied many, many times and I never let my motion sickness get the best of me!

I brought ginger Altoids along and my Doctor gave me a prescription for Promethazine gel that is applied to your wrists and rubbed into your skin. It is also used for morning sickness and low dose chemo. It comes in small syringes that you "squirt" out onto your wrist and then rub them together - it takes a few minutes to start working and lasts for a few hours. Does NOT make you drowsy.:)

I wondered about the ginger Altoids. I have some of the chocolate-ginger ones right by the computer and the list of ingredients doesn't even include ginger, though.

I used the patch on our only other cruise and I was so drowsy from it I ended up taking it off. I decided I'd rather feel a little sick than sleep through the whole cruise. The weird thing was, I really didn't expect to be sick because I never get carsick or anything but I was a little unsettled the entire sailing.

I'm going to get crystallized ginger this time and take the Altoids along, just in case -- and look into the seabands, maybe.

Rae

NCL Star -- Sept. 6, 08

Carnival Spirit NB Alaska -- May 10, 2006

Thanks to my pal Google I was researching your tips. Promethazine (phenergan) is prescribed as a sleep aid and does list sleepiness as a side effect. I also couldn't find where it is available in a gel - did you get this in the US?

I admit I haven't tried several of your suggestions and while I really would prefer to do something NOT involving medication - but I will probably chicken out as the patch worked for me and cutting it in half gave me no side effects. If you've ever suffered with a bout of seasickness - to the point of, um, vacating your stomach - then you understand! I thought cruising Inside Passage would be time to experiment with other ideas - but after reading about the Kenai Fjords tours and references to seasickness . . . back to the patch!

From WebMD - The following medicines may help prevent symptoms of motion sickness:

- Scopolamine patch (Transderm Scop) or pills (Scopace)

- Promethazine hydrochloride (Anergan, Phenergan)

- Antihistamines, including dimenhydrinate (such as Dramamine), diphenhydramine (such as Benadryl), and meclizine (such as Antivert)

People often try alternative methods of preventing motion sickness such as taking ginger or wearing acupressure bands. There is little scientific evidence that these methods work, but there is no harm in trying them.

From Drugs.com Promethazine also prevents motion sickness, and treats nausea and vomiting or pain after surgery. It is also used as a sedative or sleep aid.

Important information about promethazine

Call your doctor immediately if you experience twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs. These could be early signs of dangerous side effects

more here - http://www.drugs.com/promethazine.html

Here is a nice summary of how to prevent seasickness and the various medications - although the article is rather old (doesn't look like much has changed though!)

http://www.marinemedical.com/articles/seasick.htm

I guess I am right back where I started from.

I take Bonine and avoid drinking alcholic beverages when I feel queasy (which isn't often). On two of our three cruises from San Diego to Alaska there was some rough seas off the coast of Oregon and Washington but it didn't last long.

Thank you all for the great advice.

bamacrzer, thank you for the detailed clarification for those different medicines. It helped a lot with my confusion.

Silverjoe, jeanlyon, and wrp96, I like the idea of non-medical prevention. I think I will get try the gingers first, with the Dramamine as backup?

I get ginger root capsules at walmart for under $5 for 100 capsules.

I take 2 every 4-5 hours(except at night) and it is a miricle for me. I get extremely sea sick and since I started this I am fine!

I get ginger root capsules at walmart for under $5 for 100 capsules.

I take 2 every 4-5 hours(except at night) and it is a miricle for me. I get extremely sea sick and since I started this I am fine!

Aren't you suppose to start taking the ginger root capsules a day or two before your cruise?

Aren't you suppose to start taking the ginger root capsules a day or two before your cruise?

no, this is something that is almost immediate. Even if I dont take it and then start to feel sick I can take a ginger capsule and w/in about 30 minutes my stomach feels fine.

Archived