Sailing to Tahiti - Oct 14/04

winesfine

We are off to Tahiti in 5 short weeks (11 ppl). I've booked most of our excursions and changed one to Marc's Moto picnic/4x4 excursion based on many of the comments on this website and some of the reviews. Is anyone on the site going at that time? Also, which port is the best for buying black pearls. I just want to buy a simple pendant for every day wearing not a string of pearls.

Thanks

winesfine,

Rarotonga is good for buying pearls, as the exchange rate is great! It's the NZ dollar, and you can check out the rate online, to get an idea.

The Marche` in Papeete is pretty good, too. You can find a nice loose pearl, and at the back, upper level, is a shop that will drill or set the pearl for you. And if you look good, and can find a pearl with only a flaw on one side, it can be set to not show, and be much less expensive! They will drill or set any pearl, regardless of where purchased.

I had found, in that shop, 3 pretty, but somewhat flawed pearls. They were the same size, and kind of teardrop shape. Three colors, one pinkinsh, one silver, and one a bit greenish. I had them drilled, and put one on top of another, and made into a pendant. It was very reasonable, and I get lots of compliments on it! It has one better side, and I can wear it that way! :D

We are also sailing on the Tahitian Princess October 14th. ;)

See you on Marc's Tour winesfine, we have that booked also!

You will all love Marc's tour! It was such a fun day! The snorkeling is better on the other islands, but the picnic in the water is something else! Aaaaaaaah, my favorite tour of all! :D

Thanks so much for the pearl advice. I had heard Raro was the best due to the $ exchange .. of course, Canadian $s don't have any value these days LOL

I like to drink dry white wine, but heard that selection of wine on the islands isn't great. My hubby makes most of my wine so I'm not very educated on brands ... any ideas?

There is 9 of our group going on the Marc excursion ... we'll be the loud ones from Canada, eh ;o)

We checked out the wines on the islands last time we were in Tahiti and there just wan't much to choose from. Hopefully the ships selection will be as it usually is, we can always find something we like there.

Also, remember that the prices are quite high in Tahiti and you would probably get a better deal buying it on the ship instead of on the islands.

• 3 weeks later...

hi my husband and i are also on this cruise, first time on princess. it is our 30th anniversary....how did we get so old??!! anyway, we are soooo looking forward to it and have enjoyed all the info we found here. hope to see you all onboard...14 days and counting!! susan

Archived