Stopping for a break

little miss s

Does anyone ever just stop and take a break from all that flying?

I'm looking at flying Barcelona to Boston via Dublin. By the time I get to Boston at 4 p.m., it will feel like 10 p.m. Barcelona time, and I'll still have a short airport layover and another 5 hours to get to my final destination. I think at that point I'd rather just check into a hotel and go to bed. Does anyone else ever do that?

I know a lot of people who do take a break in their journeys, although usually only after more flying than just Barcelona to Boston.

However, connections and stops are more tiring and stressful than flying more directly, which is one of the reasons why non-stop flights are usually more expensive than indirect routings. Personally, I have a strong preference for getting there in as few steps as possible, in part because it's much easier and much less tiring. But I know that sometimes it just doesn't work.

Yes, I sometimes do it. For example, next month I'm stopping overnight in NYC after a 12+ hour flight from Egypt. I admit, though, that I usually simply tough it out and get to where I am going ASAP.... unless of course there is a reason to stop. I have friends here, there and everywhere, so if there is no or minimal extra cost, I will spend a night at the transfer city to spend sometime with them.

One of the reasons I am staying overnight is that there is not an interline arrangement between the airlines I am using. Since I have to schlep and recheck my bags anyway, a main reason why I usually do not do this is not present.

Final notes: As I get older I find myself stopping over more often... not a surprise, I guess. When traveling with my wife we will often stop for the night as she has trouble with flying with 18+ hours. I can not imagine why.:)

Paul

Archived