Questions re: Paul Gaugin

jpres

Hi everyone, I need your help. We are planning a trip on the PG in 2009.

What month would be the best weather wise and price wise?

Which is the better itinerary Cook Islands or Marquesas?

Where is the better verandah suites? B or C??

How is the motion of the ocean?

Thank you and appreciate any response.

Jpres,

Your questions are similar to the ones I asked before our first PG cruise and I think you'll find answers based largely on personal opinions. That said and never one found lacking for an opinion here goes:

Weather: We've been in FP in May (Tahiti to Fiji), July (a B2B on PG's 7 day itinerery) and December (on Mariner, passing thru from Auckland to LA) and have had good weather for all three trips. We had some rain on all three trips but never cancelled or soaked an event, excursion or activity. It is the tropics and while the FP Winter (our summer) is statistically drier and cooler; you're likely to get some rain in any 10 day period; but hopefully not enough to "ruin" a particular island or excursion you've looked forward to (excuse the bad grammar).

Pricewise: My observation is that there is some small variance in pricing as a result of time of year; but, not much as a percent of the overall trip. IMHO this isn't much of a driver.

Cooks or Marquesas? Frankly we loved both. Aitutaki was one of our favorite stops, Raratonga was great (twice), and Nuka Hiva's unspoiled beauty was mind boggling. HOWEVER, it depends on what YOU want to do/see/experience. Nuka Hiva (only Marquesas I can speak to) has no shopping to speak of, few beaches (it, and the other Marquesas are "young islands" with no protective reefs. Few in the Marquesas will speak English so if you like to go "on your own" it's a bit more challenging. In the Cooks, everyone will speak English so it's easy to "get a cab" and go wherever you want. The beaches/snorkeling in the Cooks is really good. Our Nuka Hiva highlight was the Island Dance Group Regent had perform at a passenger Luau (for lack of a better word). The also came on the ship later and put on the best show I've seen. Our highlights in Raratonga were the Cook Island Cultural Center and watching the finish of the "All Polynesian Canoe Race." This was a 22 mile outrigger race with boats from all the Island Groups (Cooks, Fiji, New Zealand, FP, Hawaii and two more we couldn't tell). Turns out the Cook Island boat beat the New Zealand boat by about a boat length and the folks on the docks there went wild. Sort of what like will happen if LSU wins the BCS Championship in New Oreleans. What a party!! Bottom line, I'd recommend some research on the island groups in Frommer's, Lonely Planet etc and see what tickles your fancy.

B or C? If there are only two of you in the suite definitely C. We've been in both (got upgraded on our Fiji trip with three of us). With three the extra room in the suite was nice. We did our B2B in a C with just two and that was wonderful. IMHO (remember, I'm never lacking for one) the B isn't worth the money and if motion is an issue for you they will move more since they are higher.

Speaking of Motion: IMHO (again) in and around FP isn't bad. However, the open sea stretches in a shallow draft vessel can be sporty if motion bothers you. If you are susceptible I recommend finding a patch or pill and consider a Cat D, E, or even F. They are the same size as the C but no verandah. The PG is so small you're never far from a weather deck no matter where you are so the verandah isn't a big deal (one more time IMHO!). Mostly we used ours to dry snorkeling gear. I will admit to coffee in less than I'd wear on deck on several occassions but it wouldn't have been too hard to pull on gym shorts and a T and go on deck.

I (and many other posters here) will be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Enjoy,

Greg

Archived