Thinking of switching?

Thunderwoods

I admit, our first cruise was on RCCLs Freedom. We were all hooked instantly, but the price tag was indeed a killer!

In trying to get the family on another cruise, I was pointed in the direction of the Jewel. The price is right - but we are a bit concerned of the differences between the two ships.

Now we can do with or without the flowrider, but as for the rest, it looks comparable. So, given any of you fellow cruisers that have cruised both Royal and Norwegian, some advice would be most appreciated now! :)

I'm sorry... because I'm commenting without the experience you're looking for... but I'm not going to give a 'comparative opinion'. I haven't cruised RCCL, but I intend to - if they offer an itinerary sometime that works for us. You're going to get opinions here that are positive and negative - for both NCL and RCCL. The truth, is, though, that nobody's opinion is going to tell you how YOU will like NCL.

My recommendation, as someone who believes no cruise is a bad cruise, is to go for it! Before you went on the Freedom, you had no experience with cruising at all, and found out you loved it... do you think you would have loved cruising if that hadn't been your first ship? I guess the flowrider didn't seal the deal! :) Like I said, I recommend giving it a try... but don't think of it in terms of RCCL, just think of it in terms of a vacation with your family!

Again, sorry for replying when I am not able to answer the question you posed. I hope you find my input useful! :)

I have actually cruised both lines,4on ncl 6 on rccl,IMO Rcl is a little better,if you want to experience freestyle then defintly go for ncl.The Jewel is a fine ship.The biggest difference will be the dining and you wont know if you like it unless you try it.

I've been on both, but older RCI ship (the Splendour of the Seas), older NCL Crown, newer NCL Star, NCLA Pride of America....we'd sail any of them again (but less likely the Pride of America, unless there was a heck of a deal!). We choose by itinerary and cost, pretty much. You'll figure out what's more important to you the more you cruise!:)

I admit, our first cruise was on RCCLs Freedom. We were all hooked instantly, but the price tag was indeed a killer!

In trying to get the family on another cruise, I was pointed in the direction of the Jewel. The price is right - but we are a bit concerned of the differences between the two ships.

Now we can do with or without the flowrider, but as for the rest, it looks comparable. So, given any of you fellow cruisers that have cruised both Royal and Norwegian, some advice would be most appreciated now! :)

DH and I just reached Diamond status on RCCL and we love their ships, especially the Voyager class ships. There is no better entertainment than the ice shows on those ships.

Having said that...there is no better dining than on NCL's Freestyle dining ships and that is strictly my opinion. The NCL Jewel was built for Freestyle and is a beautiful ship. I have been on 7 NCL cruises so far and I much prefer the Freestyle dining to traditional dining. The trick to Freestyle dining is not to dine at peak times (between 7:00pm and 8:00pm) and you will not have to wait on any lines. DH and I dine earlier or later but we have the flexibility to dine at either time and we are not locked into a set time to dine.

DH and I just reached Diamond status on RCCL and we love their ships, especially the Voyager class ships. There is no better entertainment than the ice shows on those ships.

Kind of off topic... but the daughter of a friend of ours skates (or at least used to) for RCCL. I'll bet you've seen her!! :)

Archived