Re: Bringing a clock

shipgirl56

Last time we cruised, we brought a regular clock, but it didn't keep correct time on the ship. Is the ship's electricity different. I have a battery travel clock, but don't like it. At night you have to push the button for it to light up to see the time. Will a regular plug in clock work on Carnival? We sail in 6 days!

Last time we cruised, we brought a regular clock, but it didn't keep correct time on the ship. Is the ship's electricity different. I have a battery travel clock, but don't like it. At night you have to push the button for it to light up to see the time. Will a regular plug in clock work on Carnival? We sail in 6 days!

We usually bring a battery powered that lites up, but have before that brought a travel alarm type using AC and no problems on the ship. Just remember that limited outlets in the stateroom so you may want to invest in a power strip as they do come in handy !

Have a great cruise :D

Well, depending on the itinerary, you may NOT want to use your cell phone alarm!

I did this and couldn't figure out why there was no one down at the theatre when it was time for us to clear immigrations at St Thomas. Doh! I was an hour early, since my phone had automatically changed to the local time (an hour ahead of ship time)!

We noticed this too, had to constantly reset the time. Next cruise we are taking a battery operated clock.

We usually bring a battery powered that lites up, but have before that brought a travel alarm type using AC and no problems on the ship. Just remember that limited outlets in the stateroom so you may want to invest in a power strip as they do come in handy !

Have a great cruise :D

So very true!

You'll only have one 120v outlet available to you. If you need to have something else plugged in, say a battery charger, you'll need to bring an extension cord or some type of small power strip.

I did and I couldn't have managed without it.

You can get a battery operated travel alarm clock) that sets itself to the atomic clock (whatever that is - I'm no techy so I haven't a clue). I'm not exactly sure how it works (maybe it has a GPS thingy) but it seems to know where it is in the world and adjustes itself accordingly. You can also set it to show you EST all the time. It's pretty nice to have along. We can't iamgien traveling without a clock, I like to know what time cocktail hour is :D

While on our first cruise the one thing that drove my husband crazy was not knowing the time while we were in the cabin. He turned the tv on to check the time but it was difficult to see the small numbers. While in port in San Juan he bought a souvenier type clock that ran on batteries. Great little thing has a frog on it and says Puerto Rico on it. We took it on the next cruise and will keep taking it. The hands glow in the dark so you always have an idea of what time it is if you pop your head up to look at it during the night. Now the rest of the time having a clock/watch we could have cared less about :)

My wife and I always bring a Samsonite battery travel clock and a small flashlight that we keep on the nightstand. That way, if we want to know the time in the middle of the night, we just use the flashlight. The flashlight is also handy for checking under the bed on departure day. I've been told that the reason that regular electrical alarm clocks don't work is that they require AC electrical current with 60 cycles and ships current has 50 cycles, or something like that. Hope this helps.

Neither of us wear a watch, we just use our cell phones. So we end up every cruise buying a $10 watch just to keep track of time both in the room and when we are out and about. Don't have a clue what happens to that $10 watch between cruises cause now it is a tradition to get that cheap watch.

Battery powered clock is best. You don't want anything that self adjusts the time, as you will get really messed up with the ships time that may be different. Ships time rules. You can get these little LED key chain flashlights, quite bright too, in the flashlight dept at the stores, sometimes around the checkout at Home Depot too. Some companies give them out as promotional items (I have 9 of them from a trade show I was at). The travel clock and the little flashlight (or a bigger 2 x AA flashlight) will do the trick. Also, the flashlight can be handy when going to the bathroom at night.

Ken

I wear a watch and Barb wears a watch. There are clocks all over the ship. You can do wake up calls on your cabin phone at anytime. You can place your breakfast card on the door at night for your wake up call. We do OV's or BAL's so if I wake up [always] I can see what time it is. Its either DARK, DAWN, or MORNING. That's as accurate as vacation time needs to be. :D

Ships electricity DOES vary.

Dan

Good read, http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Electrical_Outlet

Look at the bulleted line (above the pictures) and the link at the end of it as well.

I wear a watch and Barb wears a watch. There are clocks all over the ship. You can do wake up calls on your cabin phone at anytime. You can place your breakfast card on the door at night for your wake up call. We do OV's or BAL's so if I wake up [always] I can see what time it is. Its either DARK, DAWN, or MORNING. That's as accurate as vacation time needs to be. :D

Ships electricity DOES vary.

Dan

Actually, my "clock" has some different settings..

Breakfast - Snack - Lunch - Snack - Dinner - Snack.....:D

Those are also important clock settings.

Do You use Daylight Savings Snack Time or Eastern Standard Snack Time?

Dan

hey...just like my watch!;)

OP: buy one of the $10 watches on the ship. I still have the one I bought on the Elation in 2005. I don't wear a watch at home, but I hve taken that one on almost all my cruises since. Still keeps good time.

We bought an atomic travel clock from Radio Shack last year. It has settings for our home and then the other setting changes with the time zone. It was funny how it knew we were in England before I even took it our of the suitcase! We also enjoyed watching how it changed as we crossed the Atlantic. However, we really cracked up when it gave our time as being in Rio de Janeiro when we were in Newfoundland. The other nice thing about the atomic clock is that it reads the temp. all the time. Really helps me regulate the temp in the cabin.

:cool: :cool: Love your answer - we Canadians have a similar one but it goes:

Breakfast - beer - snack - beer - lunch - beer - dinner - wine - snack - beer - midnight snack - whiskey - hot tub - sambuka. Who needs a watch or clock when you have my scedule. Cindy:cool: :cool:

Archived