NCL Dawn - 12/16 Very Negative Review

myn

I was laughing out loud. My partner has been saying "I love Winnie, she's so positive, nice, etc" (which she is). But, then I saw Winnie responding to the guy calling us, basically, "a bunch of pigs, lower class types", etc. I yelled into the den, "Hey, Chris, somebody has pissed off Winnie"...with good reason! We both read it and laughed. Way to go, Winnie!:D

As I mentioned, I have been very happy with my past cruises. This one unfortunately wasn't a positive experience.

Just to clarify a few things. The bucket in the hallway was a permanent fixture that was there the entire week..

Also to mention on past cruises, notably on the RCCL and Princess lines we never saw the number of pigs that we saw on this one.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your cruise.

I can understand not wanting an eyesore in your hallway, but I agree that the bucket was better than a wet floor... and as has been noted, until the leak can be identified and fixed, the bucket is a necessary evil. Hopefully they've taken care of it now.

Pigs... I tend to dislike words like this, but I understand what you're describing, and I have to agree with others that uncouth people are on every ship. Perhaps at the time you chose to attend the buffet, the greatest percentage of unmannered, unhygenic passengers had the same idea. I think if you've never seen 'as many' on other ships, you've probably been lucky. I've seen some things that I really wish I hadn't... let alone while trying to enjoy my own meal!! Blecch.

"While this may not be NCL's fault, it's indicative of the type of cruisers this ship/intenary attracts"

I saw this comment and couldn't believe my eyes. It is obvious to me that the OP is tacky and rude to make the generalization that was made. I must say that I am insulted, as well as others should be. The comment was completely out of line.

I think some posts may have been removed? I'm sorry to read this. While I accepted the OP's use of the word 'pigs' to generally describe people behaving in an uncouth and unhygenic way, suggesting that this type of behaviour is 'indicative of the type of cruisers' anywhere is, in my opinion, more of an indication of her attitude than the people she is referring to. Of course, as has also been pointed out, the OP is one of the people who were attracted to this ship and itinerary, so perhaps she is simply referring to herself. :p

responding to the guy calling us, basically, "a bunch of pigs, lower class types"

I'm sorry you took this the wrong way. I'm not classifying "every NCL patron ever" as a pig.. However if you choose to eat while in the line of a buffet, licking your fingers, than yes, you are a PIG.

I'm sorry you took this the wrong way. I'm not classifying "every NCL patron ever" as a pig.. However if you choose to eat while in the line of a buffet, licking your fingers, than yes, you are a PIG.

I think that you are out of line with this comment.

I said earlier that I do not think that this is good behavior. I also have seen similar behavior on other lines.

However, I think that taking pictures of people doing this and posting them online is just as bad and innappropriate in my opinion.

myn thanks for the honest review. I too, was disappointed with my NCL cruise on the Jewell in 2005. My brother and I had cabins next to each other and we had problems with our toilet all week, that they could never get fixed, so to me a bucket in the hall isn't so bad. I believe with a little extra effort and investment NCL could be a very good cruise line. I am hoping that Freestyle 2.0 isn't just a sales slogan, but a real effort in improving the line. I know there are a lot of people on these boards that are emotionally tied to NCL and can make excuses for their shortcomings, but in my experience we had more problems and complaints on NCL than any other cruise line that I have experienced. I do believe that the clientel on NCL may be a little bit more relaxed than the other cruise lines due to the optional formal nights. I personally don't see anything wrong with a cruise line that caters to the more relaxed cruiser, many people prefer this. I do enjoy seeing everyone dressed up in the dinning room on formal nights, but I don't dress up at home. NCL may not be our cruise line of choice, but it is good that Freestyle is available for those who prefer this type of cruise.

myn thanks for the honest review. I too, was disappointed with my NCL cruise on the Jewell in 2005. My brother and I had cabins next to each other and we had problems with our toilet all week, that they could never get fixed, so to me a bucket in the hall isn't so bad. I believe with a little extra effort and investment NCL could be a very good cruise line. I am hoping that Freestyle 2.0 isn't just a sales slogan, but a real effort in improving the line. I know there are a lot of people on these boards that are emotionally tied to NCL and can make excuses for their shortcomings, but in my experience we had more problems and complaints on NCL than any other cruise line that I have experienced. I do believe that the clientel on NCL may be a little bit more relaxed than the other cruise lines due to the optional formal nights. I personally don't see anything wrong with a cruise line that caters to the more relaxed cruiser, many people prefer this. I do enjoy seeing everyone dressed up in the dinning room on formal nights, but I don't dress up at home. NCL may not be our cruise line of choice, but it is good that Freestyle is available for those who prefer this type of cruise.

Excellent points! I really think you've hit the nail on the head - while NCL may not be your line of choice, it IS good that they cater to a more relaxed cruiser. I think it's possible, also, that many of the things that do appeal to a cruiser like myself, may actually be why you had more problems and complaints than on other lines. Please understand, I am not in any way suggesting that is a good or bad thing, just that the differences that lead you to prefer another line are personal and it seems reasonable that they would affect your enjoyment of NCL. I'm sure that my preference to dine when I want would cause me to notice the need to be in a traditional dining room at the same time every night; not good or bad, just noticably not my preference. :) I don't consider myself 'emotionally tied' to NCL, but I do know that some of the things I like about NCL are considered 'shortcomings' by people who prefer other lines. Again, that's not good or bad, we just have different perspectives.

I think it's a great thing that Freestyle is available to those who like it. I think it's a great thing that other lines are available to those who don't. I think the best thing of all is that cruising is available to all of us!!! :)

I was laughing out loud. My partner has been saying "I love Winnie, she's so positive, nice, etc" (which she is). But, then I saw Winnie responding to the guy calling us, basically, "a bunch of pigs, lower class types", etc. I yelled into the den, "Hey, Chris, somebody has pissed off Winnie"...with good reason! We both read it and laughed. Way to go, Winnie!:D

Thanks bunches but I still don't know what I said to be removed............oh well...... wanna hear something fabulous that happened to me today? Shhhhhhhhhh.. don't tell anyone...........

I'm vertical @ 57 !!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo! :D LOL

There's just something about being able to get out of bed in the morning that makes life just FINE!:)

Winnie <-----> widow

Happy New Year to Everyone! May you have enough!

Just went over to the Disney web site and priced out a seven-day Caribbean cruise in February: about $3500 for an oceanview stateroom for two. Comparable NCL cruises run $1500-2000 for two. Very expensive "pop" on Disney, I'd say. But, to each his own.

Obviously I wasn't try to say that it was free!!! But if you want details as to why DCL charges more...

First, if you about DCL rates, you know that getting a rate right now for Feb. 2008 is crazy!! DCL is well know for the price of their cruises going sky high the closer you get to the cruise. I purchased my last DCL cruise 625 days out, and it went up over $1000 by the time we cruised.

With cat. 12 being the lowest, cat. 12 and 11 are huge compared to most inside cabins. We have always had inside rooms with DCL. I upgraded to a balcony this last time because I was afraid of the size on Princess. I called it my Aloha closet before I upgraded.

All cabins have a 3/4 tub with a shower.

Cat. 10 and up have a split bathroom. That is a sink and toilet in one room and then a sink and the tub/shower on the other.

They have fresh water pools.

They have adult areas that are enforced. No children are allowed in the bars in the evenings, no children are allowed in the adult pool, no children are allowed in the adult restaurant.

They have a private island with an adult beach that is my happy place. There is only 1 ship ever in port.

While I love DCL, yes it is way to expensive these days. They lost me as a customer due to their lack of Caribbean 7 night itineraries and the now sky high prices. However, you do get what you pay for!!!

Archived