Train from Rome port of Civitavecchia

We are going on an cruise that departs from Civitavecchia. Has anyone taken the train from Rome to Civitavecchia? If so, which train station did you leave from in Rome? How close is the train station in Civitavecchia to where the ship may be docked? Last but not least, what is done with our luggage, can we carry it on board the train, is there a place to store in?

Thank you in advance for any responses and hope you all have a very happy new year and wonderful cruising experiences!!!!!

Keep smiling.

You might check the "Purchasing Italy (Rome) Train Tickets" thread. (I bumped it!!) Not that my experience is the 'end-all' but it's there along with the advice of others.

There is one other option too. If you're game for the train ride but not the walk and free port bus, there are cabs that will take you from the Civitavecchia train station to the ship...we saw several cabs sitting outside the station when we exited and started our trek to the port entrance. We never entertained the idea of taking one though as it was a beautiful, sunny day and the walk turned out to be a very easy and pleasant one. 'I THINK' it's been said on these boards that the cab from the Civitavecchia station to the ship or vice versa is 20-25 euros but hopefully someone who sees this and knows for sure can confirm that.

Have a wonderful time.

I'll try to keep this short. From Rome Termini you can purchase a train ticket to Civitavecchia for 9 Euros. The local train leaves at platform 28. There is usually at least one departure per hour. There are probably 6 to 9 stops on the way but the last stop is Civitavecchia. We were able to manage our luggage without too much difficulty (12 day cruise). Once you get off the train at Civitavecchia go out the main rail station to the main road and head in the direction of the port (To your right as you get off the train). Its about a 3 or 4 block walk where you will come to a dead end. Just past the wall and down the small hill there will be "Free busses to take you to your ship". I have not heard of any transportation cheaper than this. I hope this helps. Tim

I'll try to keep this short. From Rome Termini you can purchase a train ticket to Civitavecchia for 9 Euros. The local train leaves at platform 28. There is usually at least one departure per hour. There are probably 6 to 9 stops on the way but the last stop is Civitavecchia. We were able to manage our luggage without too much difficulty (12 day cruise). Once you get off the train at Civitavecchia go out the main rail station to the main road and head in the direction of the port (To your right as you get off the train). Its about a 3 or 4 block walk where you will come to a dead end. Just past the wall and down the small hill there will be "Free busses to take you to your ship". I have not heard of any transportation cheaper than this. I hope this helps. Tim

Just remember if you are going in the summer, that the local trains that I have been on did not have A/C.

Archived