Need some Quick Advice Re: Fiji

lbeck

My wife and I are booked for the Sapphire Princess Aus/NZ cruise on February 26. We decided to take advantage of a free stopover in Fiji and to spend 3 days/4 nites in Nadi. Knowing nothing about Fiji when I made the plane reservations, I assumed that it was a tropical paradise like you see in the movies (South Pacific) or like Hawaii where we have visited twice (and loved it!).

Now, after some research I find that the main island (where the airport is)is not what I assumed. I have been told that the beaches close to Nadi are murky with muddy bottoms and the entire island is somewhat economically depressed with high crime in certain areas. I'm told that the Yasawa Islands are great but there would be some logistical impediments for us. First, we're getting into NAN late on the first night and will have tons of luggage from our 12-day cruise and don't want to check in one hotel and then change - plus there's the hassle of taking all that stuff onto a small boat and trying to keep up with it for the trip back to NAN. So what I have tentatively decided is to stay on Viti Levu as base camp and to take a day-trip to one of the outer islands.

I posted to the Fiji boards here back in August and got some good replies but that has pretty much dried up. One of the posters suggested that I post to this forum since it has more activity and some of the Aus/NZ cruisers may have some good advice. I have tentatively selected Sheraton Fiji Resort as base camp. It is relatively close to the airport, the cost is within reason, and security should be adequate. I’m then thinking of taking South Sea Cruises to one of the outer islands.

I decided that since we are leaving next month I’d better start making some reservations, so any quick advice that you have will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Lee

Nada is the airport base for a lot of the resorts. The coral coast is a popular resort place but can be up to 2 hours drive depending on the resort. These resort as paradise it is the surrounds that aren't up to our westernised standards. The Shangri-la Fijian is wonderful and has a lovely beach area. It is only 1 hour from airport.

Denarau Island has a number of resort complexes and is not very far from the airport. There is Sheraton, sofitel and I think a few cheaper places. Friends stayed at the trendwest resort and loved it.

Thanks all I can offer I have had no experience with the islands, hope you come up with something.

I know someone who stayed at the Shangri-La resort and absolutely loved it especially the service. The beach looked fine from the photos I have seen. They went for a drive in a bus to some other place an hour away and they said they were glad to get back to the resort. They got a bit of a fright when youths held up big machete's at them as they drove past, probably not really threatening, but they felt safer back at the resort. It's a shame they have some problems as the Yasawa group of Islands are gorgeous.

If Nadi is anything like Suva the rumours you heard will be right. However I believe the resorts themselves are lovely. My sister & brother-in-law had the first few nights of their honeymoon at the Sheraton Denaru which is 5star & had a wonderful time.

Hi Lee

I replied to you on the Pacific Islands forum:)

If you plan now to spend your time on the mainland, and you are there for 3 days I would definatley head to the Coral Coast and stay at one of the big resorts. I have been to the Outrigger and Shangri la and they are both beautiful, when you decide where you are staying they can organise your tours to the other islands.

Have you had a look on www.tripadvisor.com they have some great info on hotels and the islands, with guest reviews.

Good luck:)

Chez

xx

Thanks for all of the good advice and opinions.

The Sheraton Denaru seems to be a better deal (189 FJD) than the Shangra-la (450 FJD) and does look nice from the photos. One concern is that Sheraton Denaru will be closed May - November for renovations. We'll be staying there in March so it would be open, but I'm wondering if they will let it deteriorate until the maintenance.

Re:...Dont buy Island cruise tickets at hotel, buy them at the wharf -- I'm planning on reserving my day-trip cruise online directly from South Sea Cruises so I'm assuming that there won't be a hotel add-on.

Thanks for confirming the crime rumors. My brother got mugged (no real damage - just stole his SLR camera and pushed him around) about 15 years ago when we menadered into a bad area in Costa Rica and I know that it can ruin the memories of what plans to be a great vacation. I'll continue to stay in the "protected" areas.

I'm still Googling some of the other information, but it's getting late here in the Eastern U.S. I just wanted to respond and thank all of you for your help. I'll do some more work on this tomorrow with the goal of making reservations this weekend.

I'm still entertaining advice, so keep it coming. This a great site!

Lee, what about the Sofitel Fiji, its at Denaru, 5 star and is an Accor partner, so if you are an Accor member you get 50% off food and other benefits. And as Denaru is the jump off point for cruises to the Mamanuca's you woulldnt have much travelling!! Lizcruising on here stayed there recently and did a review on here.

Chez

xx

I've been to Fiji 7 or 8 times and stayed at a number of differents islands/properties. My favourite is the Sheraton at Denaru. It has the best buffet I have ever eaten at anywhere in the world (just what you need when combined with a cruise ;) ).

For the Sheraton, are you looking at the Villas or the Resort? The Villas are self contained and situated near the golf course but can use the resort facilities I believe and the Resort is just what you would expect for a resort. It would be getting on a bit in years now but I have always enjoyed myself there. The beaches are dark sand but still with watercraft available for use. Not nice beaches/water at all but that didn;t ever really bother me because the pool is nice. If you are planning on eating at the Sheraton for a few days I would suggest the platinum privelage card (or whatever they are calling it these days) - I think they're still only about $250 and they give you 2 for 1 for each meal - you may even get a free night's accom thrown in - ring and ask for details. I use one of these cards as they have unlimited annual use throughout most of the asia pacific region. I'm sure they still accept them in Fiji - but ring and check.

The Accor card was also mentioned above and I actually enquired about it on the weekend. It is more expensive (like $400+) and I think it only gives the card holder a discount on meals - your partner would then to purchase a supplementary card to get the discount. This card works well for certain travellers but didn't suit the sort of travel I do. So, check them both out and see what suits best.

I have also stayed on the coral coast - the Fijian is great (as mentioned above) and a lot of the hotels there seem to offer stay/play/eat package deals - but you'll find it more difficult to get transfers there at night as most people are forced to stay a night in nadi before heading off.

Another option is to stay a night at the Sheraton and perhaps get a sea plane out to one of the islands for a night or two, leaving your heavy luggage at the hotel. Just pack a small bag for the island and then come back to the Sheraton for the night before you fly out. I think the sea planes leave from the lagoon off the Sheraton beach (well, they used to anyway...) and it is beautiful flying over the islands. In fact, it is nice to fly one way and get a boat transfer back. I've stayed at Treasure, Musket Cove, Castaway, Plantation and Mana Islands (some a looooong time ago though) so if you need anymore info just let me know.

In case you couldn't tell, I love Fiji. People who get off a cruise in Suva must wonder what all of the fuss is about though !!!!!

I hope that helps...I didn't realise I had typed so much. Have a great trip :)

The resorts on Denarau Island (which is connected to the mainland by a bridge) are within a gated community so are all quite safe. However for my money they don't really give the South Pacific island experience, for that you really do want to go to the islands.

The Mamanuca islands are quite close to the mainland and you can catch a boat from Denarau, or in some cases take a small plane from the Nadi airport. I loved Malolo Lailai island, which has the Musket Cove (great for couples) and Plantation Island (great for families) resorts. It is only about a 50 min boat trip from Denarau, and is absolutely stunning.

Hi,

We had a 8 nite holiday in fiji in november 2007 and stayed at the shangri-la mainly because of the facilities and water activities.it is the only resort that is not resticted to tides you can swim,snorkel,jetski 24/7 .unlike some resorts you can only swim in the sea at high tide.the resort wasfantastic but would recommend paying a bit extra 99.00 for meal deal as the food and drinks are expensive eg:28.50 for a hamburger and 9.00 for a crown lager.this is about standard for the resorts.Fiji is not a tropical paradise its more resort based holidays and Suva should be avoided completely.My advice stay at a resort and relax..

The Accor card was also mentioned above and I actually enquired about it on the weekend. It is more expensive (like $400+) and I think it only gives the card holder a discount on meals - your partner would then to purchase a supplementary card to get the discount. This card works well for certain travellers but didn't suit the sort of travel I do. So, check them both out and see what suits best.

:)

Hi Libby,

In relation to the Accor Advantage Plus card, a years membership is $279AUD, that includes a free night at any Accor hotel, I used mine at one of their 5 star hotels so got my moneys worth;) You also get discounted rooms, I compare price before I book with wotif, lastminute etc and the Accor website always seems to be cheaper for members. My husband shares my room and eats two for one with me, so doesnt need a supplementry card.

As you say, it doesnt suit all travellers, and I stay in other hotels if they are cheaper!! Some of us CCers just stayed at the Mercure at Parramatta for $67 and half price brekky. We didnt have any Accor hotels here in Port till recently, they just opened a Mercure, so now Andy and I can go there for a meal at 50%:p

Chez

xx

Hi Chez,

Clearly the Accor salesperson I met with on the weekend was "nuts". They did tell us about cards starting from $279 but tried to sell me on the benefits of the higher priced card at $479 and they def said that only the card holder got the discount. I enquired because I am staying at the Manly Novotel for 3 days the week before I cruise and thought the card would be useful.

The Sheraton Card is similar to what you have described and I use that because I (or my family) would eat at the Gold Coast Mirage every few weeks and the cards are transferable. Is the Accor card transferable? If we eat at the Novotel and there are 3 adults and 1 child (8yo) with one card, do you get a 2 for 1 and then the other adult and child pay full price? Do you happen to know what deal they do for kids? At the Sheraton they charge $1.50 per year of their age.

If I end up buying this card you should get commission Chez... :)

We stayed at the Warwick which is about 1/2 an hours drive on from the Shangrila...it was awesome, had a lovely beach that was great for snorkelling and would go there again for sure, on a daytrip we had from there as we boarded the boss alot of the others on board commented on how great it looked compared to theirs (inc. the Shangrila), but hey - each to their own!!!;)

Hi Chez,

Clearly the Accor salesperson I met with on the weekend was "nuts". They did tell us about cards starting from $279 but tried to sell me on the benefits of the higher priced card at $479 and they def said that only the card holder got the discount. I enquired because I am staying at the Manly Novotel for 3 days the week before I cruise and thought the card would be useful.

The Sheraton Card is similar to what you have described and I use that because I (or my family) would eat at the Gold Coast Mirage every few weeks and the cards are transferable. Is the Accor card transferable? If we eat at the Novotel and there are 3 adults and 1 child (8yo) with one card, do you get a 2 for 1 and then the other adult and child pay full price? Do you happen to know what deal they do for kids? At the Sheraton they charge $1.50 per year of their age.

If I end up buying this card you should get commission Chez... :)

I only know the price cos I just renewed my membership:) I have only been a member for a year, and it has served its purpose for me last year. I had a lot of work trips to Sydney and we used it for a holiday in Melbourne. The card can be used at any Accor hotels, which include Sofitel, Novotel, Grand Mercure, Ibis,Mercure, Allseasons and there are more, we stayed at the Chevron Renaisssance in Surfers in June and they are an affiliate member too!! oh and the Menzies where Geri, me and ADF stayed was Accor too, forgot about that one!!

I have only had the 50% off meals for dinner and brekky, I know if there are 3 dining its 33% off the bill and 4 dining its 25% off etc, I am not sure about kids though. Call their 1300 number, the times i have called they have been really helpful.

I guess there are a lot of cards like it around, I am trying to use my next free night at the Sofitel in Fiji when we are there in June on the cruise, and would you believe they are booked out already:rolleyes: luckily there is a Mercure and Novotel there, but dont think I will waste my freebie on it,

Chez

xx

My wife and I are booked for the Sapphire Princess Aus/NZ cruise on February 26. We decided to take advantage of a free stopover in Fiji and to spend 3 days/4 nites in Nadi. Knowing nothing about Fiji when I made the plane reservations, I assumed that it was a tropical paradise like you see in the movies (South Pacific) or like Hawaii where we have visited twice (and loved it!).

Now, after some research I find that the main island (where the airport is)is not what I assumed. I have been told that the beaches close to Nadi are murky with muddy bottoms and the entire island is somewhat economically depressed with high crime in certain areas. I'm told that the Yasawa Islands are great but there would be some logistical impediments for us. First, we're getting into NAN late on the first night and will have tons of luggage from our 12-day cruise and don't want to check in one hotel and then change - plus there's the hassle of taking all that stuff onto a small boat and trying to keep up with it for the trip back to NAN. So what I have tentatively decided is to stay on Viti Levu as base camp and to take a day-trip to one of the outer islands.

I posted to the Fiji boards here back in August and got some good replies but that has pretty much dried up. One of the posters suggested that I post to this forum since it has more activity and some of the Aus/NZ cruisers may have some good advice. I have tentatively selected Sheraton Fiji Resort as base camp. It is relatively close to the airport, the cost is within reason, and security should be adequate. I’m then thinking of taking South Sea Cruises to one of the outer islands.

I decided that since we are leaving next month I’d better start making some reservations, so any quick advice that you have will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Lee

2007 we were on the same Sapphire crusie and we stopped in Fiji on the way home. I highly recommend Castaway Island Resort.....it is on a small island and is beautiful.

Here are some photos I took on our stay.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558197350SErQYl?start=24

Here is their website:

http://www.castawayisland.com/accomm.shtml

Thanks to all who responded. I have booked at the Sheraton Fiji Resort with full awareness of its shortcomings. On balance, I decided it is my best bet for security and value. We will be arriving in Nadi at aroung 10 pm if the flight is on time and having transportation to the resort and someone to check us in is important. The Sheraton also has shuttle service to adjoining areas (and maybe to Nadi) and is close to the departure point (with free shuttle) for our cruise to the outer islands. The other resorts on Denarau Island are more highly recommended but at about twice the cost and the Denarau Island beaches are apparently not great no matter where you stay.

I have tentatively decided on a 9 am - 6 pm Malolo island tour that includes lunch and 5 hours on the island. This will give us time for a short hike and a dip in the more pristine waters of the Mamanuka islands.So we'll sleep in and be lazy the first day, have a long cruise/hike/swim day in the middle of our stay, and spend the final day packing and preparing for our trip back to the States after our 3-week Australia/NZ/Fiji tour.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Archived