Regatta vs Ocean Racing

ritak

Can anyone please explain the differences between the America's Cup Sailing Regatta and the St. Thomas Ocean Racing Challenge? The excursions are about the same price and duration, but is one more fun than the other? Are the ships different, do you get to participate on both, and do you really get to race with another ship? I have a 14, 19, and 21 year old and can't tell from the descriptions which might be a better choice. Thanks!

Can't help on the St. Thomas excursion but my husband has been on the St. Maarten challenge several times. They are the actual America's Cup actual boats, 1987 America's Cup Stars & Stripes 55 & 56 and the Canadian True North and True North IV.

One boat races another and you/your kids will be assigned one of several positions, grinder, trimmer, bar tender, etc.

There are five legs to the race and if you're on your second trip, if you wear an America's Cup t-shirt on your second time, you'll get a free bee on your next trip.

The 12 Metre folks have a decent video on their website on the Publicity page.

Either download it and play it locally, or play it twice to see it best (watching during the download is pretty choppy for me).

For the OP, we haven't done the other one, but the America's Cup / 12 Metre Regatta is a great excursion.

gary

p.s. For Sunshine, CruiseCritic has disabled the member-to-member communication function.

Archived