8/28 Zuiderdam

lmf914

Hello, I just got my internet connection back up from Frances and wanted to post some of my thoughts on the extended cruise of 8/28.

We got to the port at 11:30 and were on the ship by 11:45. This is definitely where the extra money for an S made it worth it to us. No line, no

wait. We were on the same ship last year in an SS and could not beleive how huge the room was this time, enough storage for 8 people or more I bet.

We were not diappointed with the cruise at all except the fact that I had to spend $100.00 in phone calls & internet fees. We live on the west coast of Florida and at several times the weather showed the storm going right over us. I was worried about my mom who was pet sitting all alone. I went to the neptune lounge to ask if they would be giving any discounted rates or free calls to people who needed to contact home because of the storm, their answer was "oh no we couldn't possibly do that." Well that made me very upset because we were on RCCL during 9/11 and recalled how they went out their way to ensure people could contact relatives in the affected states.

One minus for Holland America.

I did enjoy the extended days at sea since we work 50 plus hours every week relaxation is very hard to come by, I was perfectly content sitting at the pool doing nothing. I just wish we had known more of what was going on at home. CNN international is not the best place to get up to the minute weather.

I thought the food was so-so but I knew that going in as I did not care for it last year either. We did have some wonderful tablemates though that made it worthwhile. Bobby was our waiter and as nice as he was we always seemed to be the last to eat.

All of the ports were great and I picked up some new jewelery in St. Thomas at my favorite store. We went to Cruz Bay and the beach was beautiful, despite the shacks behind the beach.

We were the first group off the ship which again was worth every cent. Thank goodness we filled up with gas before we left as there was none to be found without 100 plus cars in line. We also parked on the third floor of the parking garage just in case!!

Aside from a lack of communication and news reports the cruise was great.

Also anyone who is worried, THE AIR WORKS JUST FINE....almost too good as I froze the whole time...my husband kept making jokes that he thought the air was broken.

Like I said this was a great time to just rest and relax and we enjoyed the chance to have a huge room but there are many areas that I enjoyed better on other ships.

Once again though we did not break our streak, we have had a hurricane on every cruise we have been on except one. I was disapponted there were no waves this time though even though we were 150 miles from the storm at one point. Everyone thought it was so rocky but trust me that was nothing......

Well I guess it's time to start looking at our cruise for next September.....

Take care and I hope everyone stays safe from Ivan, looks like we will be spared here but the panhandle doesn't look so lucky.

Looks like most of your review was lost somewhere!!

:confused: It sure looks like I can see all of the post....

We were not diappointed with the cruise at all except the fact that I had to spend $100.00 in phone calls & internet fees.

That does seem to be the one thing everyone agrees was HAL's biggest failing on this cruise. But you did seem to make the best of the situation!

-dave

Archived