Has anyone traveled with a child with high functioning autism?

Cruise Babe Sabrina

There is a cruiser on the Carnival boards (her user ID is LHP) that has lots of information on traveling with a special needs child. I will post a link to your post here to see if she can chime in, but you could also do a search for Special needs in the Carnival boards and most likely find several of her posts as well. Her son has done over 10 cruises I believe.

We wanted to know if adventure ocean was accomodating or discriminating? I know that Spencer will want to participate but not sure how they would react.

thanks,

Sabrina

Hi! Since you mentioned Adventure Ocean...are you talking about RCCL?

We have only cruised Carnival, but have done so with our youngest son since he was 5. He also has autism and is also high functioning.

The following is a website I found about RCCL and Celebrity and children with autism.

http://www.alumnicruises.org/Autism/Autism%20Individual%20Booking/Autism_Ind_homepage.htm

Perhaps it can be of some help to you, if RCCL is the cruise line you prefer.

Carnival has always done a wonderful job, but we (as parents) have also kept our expectations realistic. Our son is now 16 and enjoys Club O2. He is headed on his 20th and 21st cruise later this month (we are doing a B2B).

The good news is that it can be done and done well. The "not so good" news is that it does take work. For years, "special needs" on Carnival has meant considerations needed for the older generation...oxygen, special diet, a fridge for medication.

Now, "special needs" is being expanded to include children. We have been through the pioneer phase of this because when we started cruising with our son 10 years ago...no one knew that much about autism or the wide range of spectrums. Carnival certainly did not have any specialized counselors onboard. But over the years, we learned together what worked and did not work. Unfortunately, no "one program" is going to fit. Each child has individual needs as unique as the children themselves.

I will see if I can find some past posts and link them here to give you an idea of what our experiences have been. But again, this was with Carnival. We don't have any experience with RCCL...although I have no doubt they would do just as good a job!!

My son has Asperger's syndrome, although as he gets older (he's 12), it seems to be mellowing. He is learning what to do and say when, so he is more readily accepted. He still carries on an almost constant stream of conversation with himself, especially when doing something he enjoys. (We have finally curbed this in the classroom!:)) This is one thing that most people find odd, but the people that know him come to expect it.

He has done several cruises, and one with RCCL. I have observed him in the programs, and he does very well. You have to realize that those people (usually girls) that work in the programs are very educated and experienced with working with all kinds of children. They see a whole new batch every week with new challenges and personalities. I have seen them handle even the most difficult situations that would make any kindergarten teacher run screaming from the room. :D Not all parents are as careful as you about their child's care, and they just dump them there without considering the child or informing the workers of potential problems.

Now, keep in mind that you never know what kinds of kids are going to be in there with your child. But usually, I think they are so busy that they don't stop to make fun or be mean to another child. The workers wouldn't allow that anyway, I don't think. They will draw him into whatever activity they are doing, but they won't make him participate if he clearly doesn't want to. You may sometimes find a worker who is less patient, but you can easily find someone else who is that your child can better relate to.

So, that being said, I think you'll find that they are very accommodating. You may just need to explain any special needs or situations with them, and they can probably even give you a pager if you're worried that he may have a meltdown or something. But chances are, he'll have the time of his life.

Cruising with a Special Needs Child (from one Mom to another)

As the mother of a son with autism, we have cruised for 10 years (starting when he was 5, almost 6 years old). When we first started cruising with him, there was not much known about autism and the wide spectrum it contains.

There are some recommendations that I, as a Mom, would give any parent considering cruising for the first time with a child with Autism.

First and foremost, know your child! Know what they can and can not handle and keep these limitations in mind when planning this vacation.

The planning starts when you book your cruise. Contact the “special needs” department of your cruise line. With Carnival, it is specialneeds@carnival.com.

Think about all the considerations your child will need. Again, (and I will say this many times) we (as parents) must be realistic. No cruise line is going to provide one on one care. No cruise line’s Children’s Camp can keep a child that is violent or aggressive towards the other children. The cruise line must take the safety and well being of the other children into consideration. However, fortunately, that is just about the only limitations. Again, all references from now on will be about Camp Carnival, since this is the only cruise line we have cruised on with him.

Some considerations are as follows:

For us, our son can not sleep in an Upper. So it is important that we book a cabin that has a couch/bed (along with the two twins) or book a ship where a cot is allowed. Some of the newer Carnival ships do not allow cots to be brought in.

Another consideration for us is our table in the formal dining room. Our son is not comfortable eating around a lot of strangers. We get a table for four (for our family) to accommodate him. We always get the early (5:45pm) dinner seating. Try to keep your routine as close to “home” as possible.

Another consideration may be the “age group” your child is placed in. If your child is 9 and you know they are not ready for that age group, you can request they be placed in the 6 -8 age group. However, make sure you get this in writing from the special needs department.

Whatever accommodations need to be made for your child, be sure to list them completely.

Unless you live very near a port, travel to the cruise will require a tiring drive or an airline flight. Both can take its toll.

I always recommend driving or flying in a day ahead. This way, your child has a chance to rest up before boarding the ship. Embarkation can be a very stressful time for a child that does not deal with chaos well. Some cruise lines (like RCCL ) may offer a “disability” check in like they do with older folks in wheelchairs. We have never had to ask for this, because we are Platinum and get VIP Check In automatically. Generally, they will allow the disabled person (or child) and one attendant (parent or guardian) to go through VIP with them. If VIP is going to be necessary for your child, I would make sure I have it IN WRITING from the Special Needs Department. That will mean less confusion on Embarkation Day.

Once you are on the ship, the cabins are generally ready by 1:30pm. This is an excellent time to familiarize your child with their new living arrangements for the next week. If your child is tired, a nice nap may be in order. Our son always takes a nap for about an hour after we arrive. Once he has done that, then he is ready to leisurely walk around the ship and get familiar with it. I can not stress enough how important it is for the parents not to get overly excited during this time. My husband and I take a very low key approach and keep a very calm manner.

Your next hurdle will be the Muster Drill around 4PM. Again, any time there are a large crowd of people and chaos, this may trigger some anxiety. RCCL has a special location for children with Autism. I do not know if Carnival does. We have always just handled it ourselves. I look and see where our Muster Station is. If it is where we are simply going to be seated…like a large lounge or theater…then we arrive early to get a spot near the door. Our son prefers being by the door. If it is where we are going to be standing outside against a wall, then we wait to the very last minute.

Our son usually wants to go back to the cabin after the Muster Drill to relax and calm down. We always have the early dinner seating 5:45PM, so going back to the cabin gives him a chance to get ready for dinner.

Depending on the age of your child, Camp Carnival orientation is usually around 7pm.

Club O2 (15-17) generally meets up around 5:00pm.

If your child is in Camp Carnival, I recommend that the parent attend the orientation and fill out the one page information sheet. This is where you reiterate the needs your child will have. These counselors do not know your child, so you must be specific. The more you tell them about your child, the better equipped the counselors will be to handle whatever situation may occur. These orientations are generally full of kids and can be chaotic, so I used to attend and have my husband stay outside the door with our son until it was over. Then I would bring our son in and introduce him to his counselor.

Again, this is where parents must be realistic. For example: when our son was Camp Carnival age, he LOVED the Swim Parties they would have. The water was over his head and he could not swim. The counselors offered to take him, but I felt that was putting an undue burden on them with so many other children to watch. So, I would go with him. That way, he got to attend these Swim Parties he loved so much and the counselors did not have the added burden of watching a special needs child that could not swim. I was there to watch him.

Over the years, the counselors and I have worked together to provide the best and safest cruising environment that we could. Again, they can not provide one on one care. And they can not care of a child that will harm other children. But, other than those two restrictions, Camp Carnival has exceeded our expectations time and time again.

Later on during the evening on Embarkation Day, generally around 8:30pm, Camp Carnival has a Sail Away Party. This is for children AND their parents. And it gives a wonderful opportunity for parents and children to get to know their counselors a little better. However, there is loud music and a lot of chaos…as parties for kids can be…so we always hung out by the door. Depending on your child’s level of tolerance for chaos…you can decide how “involved” you want them to be in this celebration. However, afterward, do take one more opportunity to have your child talk with the counselor they will have.

Camp Carnival starts at 9AM the next morning. And this first day is really a matter of playing it by ear. Camp Carnival (and I am sure other cruise lines) have the beepers so that the parents can be reached at any time. There is a deposit that is fully refunded when the beeper is returned and no charge (at least on Carnival) for this service.

I can only relate the experience our son has had. The counselors have always been attentive. Our son has panic attacks around mascots and after Funship Freddie was introduced in 2003, we thought we would have to stop cruising. But the counselors worked with us to assure as little exposure to FF as possible…and they still do. We have actually been able to use this cruising experience as a learning tool to teach our son how to remove himself SAFELY when a mascot appears. And now he has learned that he can be on the same ship as Funship Freddie and still have a good time. Each cruise has our son watching FF more and more. He still won’t get near him, but now he can view him from a distance without panicking.

Usually by the first day, we are on a good schedule that allows for our son and ourselves to have a wonderful cruise. Now he is 16 and goes to Club O2 and I can not praise those directors enough. This is an awkward age for any child, much less one with special needs and these directors have performed nothing short of miracles. On more than one cruise, our special needs son has gotten to be a “normal kid” for an entire week…thanks to the hard work of the Club O2 director, the entertainment staff, the Camp Carnival staff and the Cruise Director.

It has been a few years since our son was in Camp Carnival and I know there are probably some additional tips and hints that I have forgotten…so if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at musicalcruiser@hotmail.com .

My son has Asperger's syndrome, although as he gets older (he's 12), it seems to be mellowing. He is learning what to do and say when, so he is more readily accepted. He still carries on an almost constant stream of conversation with himself, especially when doing something he enjoys. (We have finally curbed this in the classroom!:)) This is one thing that most people find odd, but the people that know him come to expect it.

He has done several cruises, and one with RCCL. I have observed him in the programs, and he does very well. You have to realize that those people (usually girls) that work in the programs are very educated and experienced with working with all kinds of children. They see a whole new batch every week with new challenges and personalities. I have seen them handle even the most difficult situations that would make any kindergarten teacher run screaming from the room. :D Not all parents are as careful as you about their child's care, and they just dump them there without considering the child or informing the workers of potential problems.

Now, keep in mind that you never know what kinds of kids are going to be in there with your child. But usually, I think they are so busy that they don't stop to make fun or be mean to another child. The workers wouldn't allow that anyway, I don't think. They will draw him into whatever activity they are doing, but they won't make him participate if he clearly doesn't want to. You may sometimes find a worker who is less patient, but you can easily find someone else who is that your child can better relate to.

So, that being said, I think you'll find that they are very accommodating. You may just need to explain any special needs or situations with them, and they can probably even give you a pager if you're worried that he may have a meltdown or something. But chances are, he'll have the time of his life.

I am glad you were able to give some input about RCCL. They just implemented a specialized Autism program which I think Carnival also does...but has not advertised it.

We have really been blessed to have worked with some excellent counselors.

The Club O2 director on the Victory was from Britian and her family did foster care for children with disabilities all her life. So she had a lot of "on the job" experience and you could tell. She was wonderful with our son!!

I will be leaving on Freedom of the Seas in 2 weeks with my son who is 11 1/2 and has higher functioning autism. I plan on putting him in Adventure Ocean with the Voyager program (9-11 years) because he will know 2 other boys in that same age group that will be traveling with us. I really don't plan on using it much, 2 or 3 times but who knows, he may really enjoy it and want to go there. I did not know about the new program RCCL has regarding autism, in fact, I left a message to find out more about it. I like the fact there is a separate lounge for him to go to when the muster drill is going on (it is kind of loud and he has me cover his ears with my hands-even with ear plugs in!!) He has been on 1 short cruise before and I really planned ahead to make sure he had an enjoyable experience.

RCCL did help me with his limited dietary needs. I was able to have a letter sent via e-mail so I can bring aboard some of his foods and drinks. I will have to take food off the boat when we do excursions. If you have any specific questions regarding Adventure Ocean you would like me to ask, let me know and I will check it out. I leave Jan. 20, 2008 and would be happy to ask any questions. I will also let you know how he does in that age group too!!

Sue

My son has PDD- he is 7 years and just completed his 7th cruise. His first on RCI (Serenade) was when he was 3 1/2 and it did not go so well. One of the counselors complained to us because he was not a "joiner" as he preferred to go off to the side of the group and play by himself or just watch movies. I tried to explain why he was like this but they did not seem willing to accept that he did not want to participate in loud, large group activities. After the first night, we chose to keep him out of AO. This past November we were on the Liberty of the Seas and it went much better. He participated is most activities but was also allowed down time when needed. We have always had wonderful experiences with Carnival's program though (starting when he was age 2).

My son has PDD- he is 7 years and just completed his 7th cruise. His first on RCI (Serenade) was when he was 3 1/2 and it did not go so well. One of the counselors complained to us because he was not a "joiner" as he preferred to go off to the side of the group and play by himself or just watch movies. I tried to explain why he was like this but they did not seem willing to accept that he did not want to participate in loud, large group activities. After the first night, we chose to keep him out of AO. This past November we were on the Liberty of the Seas and it went much better. He participated is most activities but was also allowed down time when needed. We have always had wonderful experiences with Carnival's program though (starting when he was age 2).

Thanks for the input. I believe this shows how much has changed for the better just in the past few years. Cruise lines are recognizing that families travel and that some of those families have special needs. I am glad to see that RCCL and Carnival are doing their part!!

I will be leaving on Freedom of the Seas in 2 weeks with my son who is 11 1/2 and has higher functioning autism. I plan on putting him in Adventure Ocean with the Voyager program (9-11 years) because he will know 2 other boys in that same age group that will be traveling with us. I really don't plan on using it much, 2 or 3 times but who knows, he may really enjoy it and want to go there. I did not know about the new program RCCL has regarding autism, in fact, I left a message to find out more about it. I like the fact there is a separate lounge for him to go to when the muster drill is going on (it is kind of loud and he has me cover his ears with my hands-even with ear plugs in!!) He has been on 1 short cruise before and I really planned ahead to make sure he had an enjoyable experience.

RCCL did help me with his limited dietary needs. I was able to have a letter sent via e-mail so I can bring aboard some of his foods and drinks. I will have to take food off the boat when we do excursions. If you have any specific questions regarding Adventure Ocean you would like me to ask, let me know and I will check it out. I leave Jan. 20, 2008 and would be happy to ask any questions. I will also let you know how he does in that age group too!!

Sue

Please come back to this thread on your return and give us a full review. We would all love to hear how it went!!!

Have a great cruise!!!

What a terrific thread... We first sailed in 1997 with our PDD son who was 19 at the time. Developmentally - he is functioning at about a 24 month level. I took him up to Camp Carnival (not to leave him -- but to take a look and too see if anything interested him) and the staff were wonderful. They offered to allow him to stay during the down times (we never left him) and actively tried to find items or toys that would interest him. We signed out toys each day and on two occasions the Camp Carnival staff even found us on Lido to bring him a new toy.

This is the primary reason that we have stuck with Carnival. Like others have said -- consistency is the key. We go to muster drill -- but speak with one of the staff and they usually allow us to stand or sit just outside of the rest of the group. We always ask for a small table for 4 - as he doesn't do well dining with strangers, and he loves the sofa's for sleeping. On our last cruise we took an attendant along and our son was in a different cabin with the attendant -- and he still opted to sleep on the sofa rather then in the bed.

We sail again the 1st of May and we are taking along my sister and her 18 month old daughter as our DS attendant (we'll end up with the baby - but at least there are 3 adults to switch off the walks and he is really beginning to interact with the baby very well). We may end up having to switch the cabin assignments - who knows (we have side by sides - but not connecting cabins.)

Perhaps this kind of dedication is available on other cruise lines -- be everyone on Carnival has been amazing with our son - so our loyalty lies with them.

What a terrific thread... We first sailed in 1997 with our PDD son who was 19 at the time. Developmentally - he is functioning at about a 24 month level. I took him up to Camp Carnival (not to leave him -- but to take a look and too see if anything interested him) and the staff were wonderful. They offered to allow him to stay during the down times (we never left him) and actively tried to find items or toys that would interest him. We signed out toys each day and on two occasions the Camp Carnival staff even found us on Lido to bring him a new toy.

This is the primary reason that we have stuck with Carnival. Like others have said -- consistency is the key. We go to muster drill -- but speak with one of the staff and they usually allow us to stand or sit just outside of the rest of the group. We always ask for a small table for 4 - as he doesn't do well dining with strangers, and he loves the sofa's for sleeping. On our last cruise we took an attendant along and our son was in a different cabin with the attendant -- and he still opted to sleep on the sofa rather then in the bed.

We sail again the 1st of May and we are taking along my sister and her 18 month old daughter as our DS attendant (we'll end up with the baby - but at least there are 3 adults to switch off the walks and he is really beginning to interact with the baby very well). We may end up having to switch the cabin assignments - who knows (we have side by sides - but not connecting cabins.)

Perhaps this kind of dedication is available on other cruise lines -- be everyone on Carnival has been amazing with our son - so our loyalty lies with them.

Your son is so blessed to have such a loving family!!! Our son is only 16 years old....we have just started the guardanship paperwork. We have been told it takes about a year and a half. I hope you have a great cruise on the Miracle. She was one of our best!!

Please come back to this thread on your return and give us a full review. We would all love to hear how it went!!!

Have a great cruise!!!

Thanks, we are all looking forward to getting away and I'm sure it will be fun for everyone!! I will definitely come back and let you know how it goes with my son!!

Thank you so much for all the great information. I feel so much better taking him with us. Spencer does really well around other people and the one thing that we are concerned with is that he needs verbally prompted to do things like reminded to go to the bathroom, wash hands ect. I am not sure if they will take the extra time with him but we will see. Another thing is in the evening he sometimes gets a little hyper but we will just work around that.

Thanks and God Bless,

Sabrina

• 3 weeks later...

Archived