Can we visit Brimstone Fortress on our own?

missguy

It is our first time in St-Kitts and we were wondering if we could visit Brimstone on our own. Is it very far from the cruiseship terminal (Basseterre)? How much would it be for a taxi for 4 (2 adults and 2 children 8 & 10)? How much time does it take to visit it? Please any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

G.

Yes, you can visit Brimstone on your own. It is about a 25 minute drive from Port Zante to the fort. You can probably see it all in about an hour or less. Admission is $8 USD for adults, children $4 USD.

Thank you for your reply Paul58. We are still undecided whether to book our Brimstone excursion with Carnival or with a private tour guide (I have written emails to about 10 tours companies but no replies yet) or simply on our own by taking a taxi. I wish I knew how much it is from the cruise terminal to Brimstone.

Any suggestions?

It would be about $50 round trip. There are plenty of taxis. I would wait until I got off the ship. I know don't know what booking through Carnival is but they are getting a cut instead of putting all the money in the local drivers pocket.

My husband and I did this on our own and boy were we glad we went. I can't remember how much it was for the two of us - sorry - but we just grabbed a 'cab' from the many that were waiting at the terminal and went. Yes, it is about a 25 minute drive, but well worth it as you get to see a bit of the island and the bay where Columbus was 'parked' on his third trip to North America. The fortress itself is breathtaking, as is the view, and we would go back in a heartbeat.

We were on a HAL cruise, and we were the only ones from our ship who made the trek.

Archived