"Street" Food in St. Martin?

greghoffman

I'm a big fan of dining at "stands" - from various street/small shop vendors that cater to people out shopping/sightseeing and, more desirably, to the locals out for a quick, cheap lunch/snack break. I love to just sort of wander around, pick up a bratwurst/schweinebrotchen (Dusseldorf), some yakitori (Tokyo) - things like that - local specialties - picking up a bite here and there at several places.

My question is - is there an area of St. Martin that would cater to that kind of experience? Any particular places to recommend? Any St. Martin/Caribbean specialty foods not to miss? Most of what I've seen discussed so far on these boards have been sit-down-type restaurants - I want to eat and walk at the same time... :)

Thanks,

Greg.

definitely try the lolos in grand case. these are permanent outdoor stands along the boulevard and face the ocean as well. they have everything from ribs to whole grilled snapper at great prices. the prices are $ = euros in cash. we got a whole grilled snapper, an order of ribs, a side of rice, macaroni and cheese and fried plantain. total price was around $20. everything was great.

steve

I'm a big fan of dining at "stands" - from various street/small shop vendors that cater to people out shopping/sightseeing and, more desirably, to the locals out for a quick, cheap lunch/snack break. I love to just sort of wander around, pick up a bratwurst/schweinebrotchen (Dusseldorf), some yakitori (Tokyo) - things like that - local specialties - picking up a bite here and there at several places.

My question is - is there an area of St. Martin that would cater to that kind of experience? Any particular places to recommend? Any St. Martin/Caribbean specialty foods not to miss? Most of what I've seen discussed so far on these boards have been sit-down-type restaurants - I want to eat and walk at the same time... :)

Thanks,

Greg.

Greg...You will absolutely love the port area in St.Martin. The ships dock on the Dutch side called Phillipsburg. There has been a multi-million dollar upgrade to the port and and Phillipsburg Area, also known as "Great Bay". When you debark in St.Martin you can take the water taxi directly to Front Street ($5.00 p/p r/t) or, you can simply walk the pier to the Area as well. My DW and I honeymooned here in 1994 and fell in love with the island. We have returned 16 times since. Everything you desire is in walking distance from the ship. Front Street is the main street in the port area. There is plenty of shoping (Best prices on jewelry and luggage in the Caribbean by far), there are many cafes, eateries and street vendors along the street as well. A beer costs only $1.00. DW and I agree that it has more to offer for those who want to stroll along and enjoy the atmosphere than any port in the Caribbean. Trust me, we've been to them all. Of course every island has there specialties, but make no buts about it. St.Martin to us is our favorite island and we always make sure our itinerary includes it. If you want to venture out farther, take a taxi to Marigot (The French side of the island). There is some great shopping there as well. I think after your visit to St.Martin, you will definitely want to return.

jcruise

I'm a big fan of dining at "stands" - from various street/small shop vendors that cater to people out shopping/sightseeing and, more desirably, to the locals out for a quick, cheap lunch/snack break. I love to just sort of wander around, pick up a bratwurst/schweinebrotchen (Dusseldorf), some yakitori (Tokyo) - things like that - local specialties - picking up a bite here and there at several places. <snip> - I want to eat and walk at the same time... :)

Thanks,

Greg.

I'm afraid that the 'street food' of choice on St. Maarten is going to be a Heineken. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:)

The only 'walking' food that comes to mind is a Johnny Cake, and there is a wide variety of choices; plain, cheese, gouda cheese, with or without ham, etc. They can be quite tasty, but I can't think any place easy for you to pick some up along the tourist walking/shopping areas of Philipsburg. We buy them at the grocery stores and bakeries.

You do have a choice of Burger King or McDonalds downtown for walking food.

That said, don't miss the food at the lolo's, even if you have to sit down to eat it. Usually wonderful ribs, chicken, seafood with sides and salads.

gary

There are several food trucks scattered all over the islands selling a variety of food. Many sell Spanish food. Many sell local food. there is even a Suriname food truck on the Pondfill.

the lo los in grand case as mentioned before are super.

If you are in Cole Bay, be sure to stop at Lido. they sell grilled ribs and chickens with all the fixings for $11.00 a plate. it's huge, enough to feed 2 people.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll have to try out some of these places.

The johnnycakes have me intrigued - are they similar to American johnnycakes - cornmeal cakes fried on a griddle/skillet?

It looks like there are a lot of jewelry stores in the area - personally, I'd much rather look around in a local grocery store. I just really enjoy seeking out the little differences - seeing how the "average" people live. I know it's usually a little tough, since so much of the local economies in these places seems to be driven by the cruisers/tourists, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the info so far...

Greg.

Then check out Sang's Supermarket. It's kind of on the walking path into Philipsburg from the Cruise Facility. When the path turns to the left near Bobby's Marina, Sang's is across the street to the right.

They MAY even have Johnny Cakes.

Here's a recipe. Sometimes they include corn meal, as well.

From Sang's, if you head towards downtown Philipsburg, off to the right (North) there is also Afoo market, if you're interested in that, near #3 on this map. Sang's would be at about the 'd' in Boulevard along the right hand side of the map.

There also usually a couple of food trucks, as mentioned earlier, along Walter Nisbeth, seen across the top of the map.

gary

Then check out Sang's Supermarket. It's kind of on the walking path into Philipsburg from the Cruise Facility. When the path turns to the left near Bobby's Marina, Sang's is across the street to the right.

They MAY even have Johnny Cakes.

Here's a recipe. Sometimes they include corn meal, as well.

From Sang's, if you head towards downtown Philipsburg, off to the right (North) there is also Afoo market, if you're interested in that, near #3 on this map. Sang's would be at about the 'd' in Boulevard along the right hand side of the map.

There also usually a couple of food trucks, as mentioned earlier, along Walter Nisbeth, seen across the top of the map.

gary

Aah, _this_ is the kind of information I'm looking for - that recipe looks really good, too.

Any other data in this vein would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again,

Greg.

I agree...go to either Sang's or Afoo's.

Afoo's is the better choice I think if you are looking for local stuff. It's where a lot of the islanders shop.

many of the food trucks scattered along the Pondfill Rd.. ( Walter Nisbeth Road but no one calls it that) may have johnny cakes for sale.

They are a SXM staple.

Afoo's is the better choice I think if you are looking for local stuff. It's where a lot of the islanders shop.

many of the food trucks scattered along the Pondfill Rd.. ( Walter Nisbeth Road but no one calls it that) may have johnny cakes for sale.

They are a SXM staple.

They are a SXM staple.

I'll definitely try those two places out.

Are there any other local products that are noteworthy? I've read elsewhere about some local soft drinks, for instance. I'm looking for things I won't normally be able to pick up (without effort) in the US - candy, snacks, drinks, etc. I've also seen a few of the local rums mentioned - I plan on looking at those, too.

Thanks again,

Greg.

Archived