Trying to Narrow Down Excursions

Sprocket Rocket

First, I have to thank the long term dedicated members who actively share their experiences. I have read through websites from Merced Mike, Yukon and others and although our interests don't always tie in, the opinions and reviews are priceless.

Now, onto our planning. We will be on the Serenade leaving on 8/2/08 on the Hubbard Glacier itinerary. First stop is in Icy Strait (Hoonah) where we plan to do the whale watching with FISHES. Hope to polish off some crab and beer at The Office and spend some time wandering around town.

Next stop is Skagway, where we have already rented a car through Avis using our Costco discount. We have read through Murray's Guide (thanks Yukon!). If anyone has suggestions for can't miss stops I am all ears. My wife and daughter would really like to check out the sled dogs. They are not interested in a sled ride, they just want to interact with the dogs. Any suggestions? We are in Skagway from 7am to 8:30pm.

Last stop is Juneau. The plan is to take the shuttle up to Mendenhall and walk some trails. We may take the Mt. Roberts tram but have not decided. Any other suggestions that are reasonably priced? We are only there from 7am to 3pm.

I love these boards, so I'm here asking for help. I see many posts from Budget Queen and am trying to sort through them. We have a 12 night cruisetour booked with Princess. We wanted to extend in Kenai, at their lodge. It's supposedly booked and the hotel and rail group are almost impossible to get to, let alone speak to. Would I be better off transferring my resv. to my old agent and make my own arrangements? I thought paying Princess prices would help me get the trip I wanted, but I'm afraid I'm wrong. Can I get some help in how to plan this great big trip? We will spend a few days in Seattle before, want to extend in Alaska at least a week. Can I get in touch with Budget Queen direct for help?

At Caribou Crossing, you do not have to do a cart ride to see the dogs. There is a small admission.

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

contact them directly for current information. Their web site only mentions the cart rides??? I went 2 years ago and they had the availablity to just see the dogs without it by purchasing the museum admission.

I love these boards, so I'm here asking for help. I see many posts from Budget Queen and am trying to sort through them. We have a 12 night cruisetour booked with Princess. We wanted to extend in Kenai, at their lodge. It's supposedly booked and the hotel and rail group are almost impossible to get to, let alone speak to. Would I be better off transferring my resv. to my old agent and make my own arrangements? I thought paying Princess prices would help me get the trip I wanted, but I'm afraid I'm wrong. Can I get some help in how to plan this great big trip? We will spend a few days in Seattle before, want to extend in Alaska at least a week. Can I get in touch with Budget Queen direct for help?

Yes, feel free to email me, if you wish budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

The problem with the Kenai Princess and touring Seward from there is it's 45 minutes away. You are far better off staying in Seward locally- plenty of accomdations and booking the Alaska RR direct yourself. Not sure, if you would consider independent travel for all of your interior Alaska, but, it may make the best use of your time, starting over??

Plenty of factual, accurate help is available if you need it. Plenty of people have done it. :) And never do you ever hear back from any of them, they wished they'd taken a cruisetour. :)

If I can get more information, I will try and figure out a better plan for you.

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

contact them directly for current information. Their web site only mentions the cart rides??? I went 2 years ago and they had the availablity to just see the dogs without it by purchasing the museum admission.

You can still cuddle the huskies for free once you've paid the park admission that includes the excellent wildlife museum.

Archived