Can beds be elevated? Please help

Imhokie

We will be traveling on the Radiance starting Jan. 27. My sister is suffering some pretty severe stomach problems, and has to sleep with the head of her bed elevated 6". Can the beds onboard be physically elevated, or are they bolted in place? And if they can be elevated, will the cabin stewards help get this done? Or will she have to make other arrangements, like bring a bulky wedge pillow onboard?

Also, I wonder if it is too late to notify them of special dietary needs. Rice and chicken is about it right now. Bummer.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy

We will be traveling on the Radiance starting Jan. 27. My sister is suffering some pretty severe stomach problems, and has to sleep with the head of her bed elevated 6". Can the beds onboard be physically elevated, or are they bolted in place? And if they can be elevated, will the cabin stewards help get this done? Or will she have to make other arrangements, like bring a bulky wedge pillow onboard?

Also, I wonder if it is too late to notify them of special dietary needs. Rice and chicken is about it right now. Bummer.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy

I would think that they could roll one of those egg crates to form the type of elevation you are talking about. I would call RCCL and ask them for the email of the hosekeeping manager for your ship as well as the dining manager. I've had to email the latter before and our dietary needs were met. It's just nice to give them a heads up to be sure they can make you comfortable and happy.

the mattresses are not attached to the frames. Don't know what safety issue you might be thinking of to make a company want to tie down the mattresses...but if a mattress is going to fly off the frame then I'd think the captain has more serious issues to contend with at that moment!

My Mother in Law suffers from severe stomach problems as well, and she also needs to sleep with a large wegde under her. She found a great solution to this for travelling... it is a large blow-up wedge. It looks like a giant triangle. She is able to blow it up to use, and then compact it to store back in her suitcase. I do not know where she got it, but perhaps if you google 'air pillow wedge' you will find something along those lines.

I emailed special needs for a bed wedge for my mom but never received it in the cabin. We asked our steward for one and he either did not know what it was or they were all in use. He did give us extra pillows to prop the mattress up - between the box spring and the mattress - which seemed to work well.

My aunt has the same need and does not travel without her bed wedge. So I guess it depends on whether you want to "make due" or be assured that you have what you need.

In both cases, they were fine and we all had a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy

Royal Caribbean has begun a multimillion-dollar access project to upgrade and add to our offerings over the next three years. To customize your accommodations to meet your specific needs, call (800) 722-5472 x34492 (voice/TDD), send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com , or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys are great. I think we will order the inflatable one (lots of google hits - some interesting ones I must say :eek:)

I will also put in a request with RCCL but I think it would be best to have something just in case it doesn't work out. Will talk to them as well about the special diet.

Kathy

Maybe something like these furniture risers will help you? You can put two under the head of the bed, and nothing under the foot, which will tilt the whole bed. We use them and it works great (just make sure the feet of the bed will fit into the risers, there are MANY different styles available.)

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2256040&cp&kw=riser&origkw=riser&sr=1

My husband has to elevate both his head and his legs!! We just ask the cabin steward for extra pillows so we end up with 6 pillows on the bed. I get one, he gets 5.

I love the suggestion of the inflatable wedge. I'm definitely going to look into it for our March trip.

Has your sister tried drinking Ensure daily to help her stomach?

Glad you found the inflatable wedges - I was going to suggest that, as I've seen them in catalogs. I hope it works well for her and that she has a wonderful cruise despite her current health problems! :)

Ensure might be a great idea. I don't think she is getting enough nutrition with the limited diet anyway.

We have ordered the wedge and it will be here before we sail on 1-27.

Thanks again for all the help.

Kathy

Ensure might be a great idea. I don't think she is getting enough nutrition with the limited diet anyway.

Kathy

Spreaking of ensure, here is the email I got from RCCL special services in regard to my inquiry about rice milk for my toddler... just email special services and ask!

Good Afternoon,

Please provide your individual booking number your request cannot be processed without it. Unfortunately we do not have rice available on board our ships or within our inventory , however we do have Soy milk, lactose free milk and vanilla-flavored Ensure they are free of charge. If you would like for me to order any of these alternative drinks please let me know. Your request for these alternative drinks will be forwarded over to ship. Please note we do not specify brand name, type or flavor for the Soy milk or Lactose free milk.

If your child is unable to have the alternative drinks that we provide, you may bring with you the rice milk. Please make sure it is in the original container unopened upon boarding. Please note there is a mini-bar refrigerator in the stateroom to store this item.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Best regards,

Kendra Prince

Dietary Culinary Coordinator

Royal Caribbean International

Kathy

I hope it helps her! I drink the High-Protein Ensure (vanilla some days, chocolate on others) every day and it has helped my digestive system (now I'm stuck taking it, though, LOL!). And, yup, the nutrition factor is also important (the reason I started taking it). The docs also recommended it for my late cousin when she was in cancer treatments to help keep her weight on and keep her nutrition up. So, it is good stuff. :)

I have to elevate my legs when I sleep. I have found that I can fit 2 plastic soda cartons(the kind that holds the big bottles) in my suit case. Outside of the additional weight they do not take up any space because I can put all my belongings inside the cartons. When I arrive I stack on on top of the other under the mattress and it gives me the necessary lift. Pillows don't provide enough support or lift. This could also work for the head of the bed. Good Sailing, Murf.

Has your sister tried drinking Ensure daily to help her stomach?

Glad you found the inflatable wedges - I was going to suggest that, as I've seen them in catalogs. I hope it works well for her and that she has a wonderful cruise despite her current health problems! :)

There are lots of causes of stomach problems, not so easy to diagnose long distance. My acid reflux was very bad before I went sugar/starch free, and then it was gone in days. Only time it comes back is when I am very bad and eat that stuff. I did have to prop myself up also. But that does not mean her sister has the same problem.

But that being said, buy the wedges, never hurts to be prepared.

There are lots of causes of stomach problems, not so easy to diagnose long distance. My acid reflux was very bad before I went sugar/starch free, and then it was gone in days. Only time it comes back is when I am very bad and eat that stuff. I did have to prop myself up also. But that does not mean her sister has the same problem.

:rolleyes: I didn't say her sister had the same problem - in fact, I'm sure she does not. But, the Ensure might help her, plus it will give her the nutrition and weight she is not getting from eating only rice and chicken. You don't know unless you try - if it doesn't help, no biggie. If it does, then that is great!

My Mother in Law suffers from severe stomach problems as well, and she also needs to sleep with a large wegde under her. She found a great solution to this for travelling... it is a large blow-up wedge. It looks like a giant triangle. She is able to blow it up to use, and then compact it to store back in her suitcase. I do not know where she got it, but perhaps if you google 'air pillow wedge' you will find something along those lines.

They sell these through the magazine that they have on the American Airlines flights also. http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=96981577&c=10980 That magazine promotes it as helping you sleep on a plane. You inflate it and put it on your lap. Then you can lean forward and put your head and arms on it/ Kindof like putting your head down on your desk at school, only the incline of the wedge keeps you from having to lean forward so much.

They also have this: http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102182896&c=10980

Archived