Conquest Cat 11 or Victory 9A Wrap

NorseFarmer

OK here's the deal I'm taking GF on her 1st cruise (actually she's never seen a beach or the ocean for that matter) and I want to blow her away so she will be as hooked as I am. This will be cruise #6 for me so I have my preferences, but wanted some other opinions.

Air fare and Pre cruise stay make the Victory about 600 more expensive. I won't have to eat beans the rest of the year but 600 is 600. :eek: Don't have to fly to Galveston, it's a 6 hr drive to KC and 8hrs to Dallas so I just drive the extra 4-4.5 hrs to Galveston when I have sailed from there. And 3 star + hotels seem to be way more expensive in Miami. I way prefer the eastern Iten over the western. Have stayed in cat 12 on Fantasy class and loved the space last cruise was aft balcony (thanx to cc) and had a blast it turned into a little party community back there. The wrap would make it better yet.

I think my biggest concern on Victory is the fact she is the only ship in the fleet that still has a 9A wrap available for the 3-2-08 sailing. In fact there are still 5 0f the 6. Any opinions

Have stayed in cat 12 on Fantasy class and loved the space last cruise was aft balcony (thanx to cc) and had a blast it turned into a little party community back there. The wrap would make it better yet.

I think my biggest concern on Victory is the fact she is the only ship in the fleet that still has a 9A wrap available for the 3-2-08 sailing. In fact there are still 5 0f the 6. Any opinions

I haven't been on Victory before, but I HAVE been in a Cat 12 on Conquest and I'm sure the Cat 11 are nice too! Ask yourself-is a wrap around worth all the extra expense? I bet she will love Conquest! It is a big ship with lots to do! I also drive to Galveston, but it takes me 9 hours!:eek: I like driving because then you don't have to worry about how much luggage, carry ons on the plane, weight limits, etc. I have my first wrap around on Miracle in October, but it it were ME, i would seriously consider just taking your GF on Conquest. But that is just MY opinion, of course!:D Good luck with what you decide! To me, a cruise is a cruise, and y'all will enjoy your time together either way.

I would go on the Conquest. As much as I liked the Victory, I HATED the lines on the Victory (have they fixed those yet? It was almost three years ago that we went).

The Hotel Galvez would be a nice experience for your GF, if you can get a good rate!

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/GLSHG/main.wnt

$143 a night for that March 2 date :) Not too bad.

Also, I think a balcony room would blow her away, without the wrap :) I would be addicted between that and the Conquest, LOL :) I think I became adicted because of the Conquest, actually...at least to cruising Carnival!

Thank you for the input Sheri Conquest is the way I'm leaning, but I was really hoping someone would try and sway we towards Victory. It's a 12.5 hr drive from home so I know about the :eek: . But so much less hassle than flying. I so wish Galveston would do an eastern route.

Let me look around. There was one that looked nice -- a boutique hotel -- near the port and the strand -- we were there for a wedding in October and I remember thinking it looked pretty. I'll ask my DH and see if he remembers and let you know!

Yay for the Conquest -- your GF is going to love it!

edit: http://www.galveston.com/thetremonthouse/

Tremont House is the one I was thinking of, but it's a bit pricey -- not sure what your threshold of pain is for a hotel. $215 a night but they have availability on Mar. 1, AND they have cruise parking and transportation :)

edit again: This is the site I Googled: http://www.galveston.org/

Thank you for the input Sheri Conquest is the way I'm leaning, but I was really hoping someone would try and sway we towards Victory. It's a 12.5 hr drive from home so I know about the :eek: . But so much less hassle than flying. I so wish Galveston would do an eastern route.

Sorry! I just went back and RE-read your post! I thought you were only 8 hours away from Galveston! 12+ hours is a long drive! Hopefully you will get some more opinions here about which ship to choose. I guess you just need to decide what you want to do, what is more important to you. The wrap around would be a wonderful place to relax, but the Conquest is so much bigger with so much to do! I'm with you, i wish there could be an eastern route from Galveston! I wish Conquest, just a few times a year, could do a different route, but I guess that would throw everything else out of whack! :D Good luck with what you decide! The main thing is to get your GF addicted to cruising like you said you are, and you can do that with either ship!:D ;)

I've heard both St. Thomas and St. Maarten are beautiful, though we have not done the Eastern Itinerary before (well, DH has when he was younger -- I have not yet). There's great shopping at one of the two, from what I hear, but I'm not sure which?

I think the wrap would be awesome!

Thanks for the input. I bet if I had asked what to wear to dinner on formal night the thread would be 2 pages long already! :D Anyone want to vote for the wrape and St Thomas , St Marteen ?

TWO pages?? It would already be 20 pages long and everybody would be mad and arguing! Do you know how to post a poll? You could set up a poll and ask everyone's opinion THAT way!!:)

Thanx again I was going to book this after noon but I just had a brialiant idea. Why not just let her choose. I'll explain the trip details and the ports to her. But I'll leave out the suite vs. wrap question. She thinks were staying down in stearage like the imigrants on Titanic.:D No offence meant to the windowless crowd. :)

She thinks were staying down in stearage like the imigrants on Titanic.:D No offence meant to the windowless crowd. :)

LOL! I think letting her choose is a great idea!! Good luck, and I'm sure y'all will have a blast no matter which cruise you are on! The way I see it, being on ANY cruise is better than being at work, cooking, cleaning, etc.! :D

Thanx again I was going to book this after noon but I just had a brialiant idea. Why not just let her choose. I'll explain the trip details and the ports to her. But I'll leave out the suite vs. wrap question. She thinks were staying down in stearage like the imigrants on Titanic.:D No offence meant to the windowless crowd. :)

I think that's a great idea!

That is a great a idea..;) my 2 cents. I would take the Victory 9A opposed to the CAT11 on the Conquest. I have been in a CAT11 on the Victory and twice a 9A on the Conquest and Freedom. We have done the Eastern and Western twice each and we much prefer the Eastern. The Victory now has the big screen installed as they have on the Liberty and Freedom.. and oh you really can't beat that balcony with the 9A:D:p

Well GF was all most no help. She did the typical female thing ( on a date female thing ;) ) I don't care where ever you want will be fine. After explaining more pros and cons of each trip still couldn't get a feel for which one she really preferred. So we went to the computer to look at pictures and deck plans. Had to let the cat outa the bag on cabin choice, when she saw the balcony on the 9A the first thing out of her mouth was WOW!! so Victory it is.

I don't have any advice-I am part of the windowless crowd:( !! I spend the money on jewelry!! I think she would be amazed if you were sleeping on the deck. What a way to see the ocean for the first time. It probably does not matter to her which ports you go to if she has never been to any of them-they will all be new and exciting to her. I am so excited for her!!! I really hope ya'll have a great cruise.:D

Archived