Private tours in Samana?

tcrny

Hi everyone. We will be visiting Samana in April (NCL Spirit). Has anyone used a private tour company for any excursions in Samana? There isn't much info posted on Samana - other than use the ships excursion or don't get off the ship. I understand this is an undeveloped country, and heard many mention about harassing vendors/etc. I am interested to see Samana for what it is, and spend the rest of the time at a beautiful beach. Since this is a port that has been on the cruise tours for couple years now, just wondering what your experiences are. I have found the CC boards so helpful in many other port stops, but doesn't seem to be much about Samana. Thanks for your help.

not gettin much either, give it a while, maybe people are just traveling there.. some research ...im lookin at las terrenas , its not to far from samana, pretty beach town , swaying palm trees... go to colonialtours.com there is information on samana.:cool:

not gettin much either, give it a while, maybe people are just traveling there.. some research ...im lookin at las terrenas , its not to far from samana, pretty beach town , swaying palm trees... go to colonialtours.com there is information on samana.:cool:

Thanks ... I think we'll have to wait until the recent cruisers have returned with some feedback. There is also another another website on tours at casadorado.com with excursions in Samana.

Hi everyone...

DH and I just got back from our cruise. went to Samana, took another couple with us, and we all wondered why in the world did we even get off the ship... I had read another posting from someone, saying, why not check out this part of the Dom. Rep. while its still undeveloped.... Believe me... unless you have an excursion planned with the ship, DONT EVEN GET OFF THE SHIP!!! there is nothing to see.. the shops that are there, you have to walk about a half mile or less, but the prices are REDICULOUS!!! I found a cute little something, it was to make spiced rum... what it consisted of is this... 1 - 2oz bottle of spices, 1 - 2oz bottle of grenadine, and one bottle of plain rum to mix with the others to make your spiced rum. it was in a cute leather thingy, with a little handle on the top. the price??? LOL a whopping $28.00. U.S. dollars at that!!! I said to them when i found out, "WOAH!! NO THANK YOU"!! and put it back on the shelf. EVERYTHING was too pricey. walked back to the ship and spent a nice day on board. and yes, lots of begging too. wanting to shine your shoes, sell you shells, and throw money in a can for the band that is playing to the side of the sidewalk.. the sidewalks are great!!! shops are very pretty, what there is of them...

I understood too, there are other places that are nice, just not in town. spend your money on a tour.

We were there on a sunday too. it may have been slow that day. not too many cars on the road.

listen to others. take their advice. but do what you want.

good luck on your excursions.

swtpnk :)

I've also been looking for options to do on our own and sent out several emails yesterday to get information. I was able to get a couple of responses. I'll post them below. We are interested in the 1st tour operated by Bavaro Runners even though it says you get back to the ship at 5:30 and we leave at 6:00. After asking them about this, they said that they will adjust the return time to 4:30 or 5 to fit my comfort zone!!

Casa Dorado - r_guzman2@yahoo.com

Thank you for your interest in Casa Dorado!! Below is the info on our excursions. All prices are based on up to 10 people, not per person. The Limon waterfall is on the other side of Samana and we do not offer that trip. Unfortunately, the whale watching season ends March 15th.

Playa Rincon Excursion - Conde Nast Traveler ranked this beach as one of the world's 10 best. It's so splendid, in fact, that many Dominicans refer to it as the most beautiful on the island. Over three miles long, Playa Rincon is surrounded by coconut palms and almond trees, not to mention a 2,000 foot mountain on one end. The best way to get to this isolated beach is by boat; a ride that is definitely worth it.

Round-trip boat ride from Las Galeras main beach to Playa Rincon is $140 for up to 10 people. There are several small restaurants on Playa Rincon, where you can order a fish, lobster or chicken lunch.

Snorkeling at La Playita/Playa Rincon Excursion - Round-trip boat ride to la Playita to snorkel followed by swimming at Playa Rincon. We provide all snorkeling equipment and ice cold water. The price of the trip is $220 fpr up to 10 people. Lunch can be ordered in La Playita and cooked while you snorkel.

We can reserve a taxi that will be waiting for you on the Samana boat Dock and will bring you straight to Las Galeras main beach and return you at your leisure.

The taxi is $70/roundtrip for up to 8 people and $80/roundtrip for 9-10 people. The taxi is a large van/small bus that easily fits 10 passengers.

Bavaro Runners- fabiola@bavarorunners.com

These are the two options for Samana,

11:00 am..............Pick Up at Samana Dock

OPTION 1 : On board our Safari Trucks, take to the road towards Boca del Diablo,

Stop at Bahia de Las Flechas

Visit a local fishing village Los Cacaos

Have lunch at a local beach club Cayenas del Mar.

visit a typical home.

visit a small waterfall.

cigar demonstration.

Back to the docks by 5:30 pm

OPTION 2 : On boards our Safari Trucks, begin the tour with a visit to Rincon Beach visit one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, timeto relax and bathe, then have lunch. After the beach,

visit a typical home.

visit a small waterfall.

cigar demonstration.

Back to the docks by 5:30 pm

** Both options include: Beautiful scenery, Lunch, bottled water, sodas, beer and rum, guide.

Some hiking, 10 minutes. U$ 55 per person. 10 max minimum

we will be in Samana on 4/10/08 on the Spirit-- My wife and I would be interested in tour 1-- but i think we need to get back by 4PM. What cruise are you on??

Big green

We are with NCL Pearl and supposed to leave at 6. I didn't like the 5:30 arrival back at ship time, I'd prefer to be there by 4:30 or 5 at the latest. I contacted Bavaro Runners and they said they could adjust the return time to make sure we are back early. We haven't booked it yet, but we are also interested in doing tour 1 and will probably do that.

thanks for reply-- we will be in Samana in April off the Spirit--we leave Samana at 5pm--I sent an e-mail off to the tour agency-- lets see what they say.

I was on the Pearl last July in Alaska--greta ship--great crew.

Thanks

Big Green

Thanks for the replies and the websites for these private tours. I am not traveling in a large group, just the 4 of us. I've checked on roll call for our cruise, and they have booked the beach excursion thru NCL. Casadorado sounds like a great way to go and reasonable price if you can gather a group of 10. I do want to make the most of this stop, so most likely will end up booking thru the ship. I do not want to stay on the ship since we are at sea 4 of the 8 days. Thanks for everyone's advice.

• 4 years later...

UPDATE as of 2012

There are many excellent Licensed Tour Operators at the Cruise Port of Samana offering Independent & Private Tours.

Their prices are way LOWER than what you are going to pay with your Cruise Ship.

These 4 Tour Operators are the Most famous here in Samana :

1) Razor Tours & ATV Adventures

2) Tour Samana with Terry

3) Cayenas del Mar

4) Marivanna Tours

With anyone of these Tour Operators you can't go wrong.

There all easy to find on the Internet, just GOOGLE them.

Enjoy our Beautiful Samana Region :cool:

We were a group of six and travelling on the Holand American ship the Noordam and arranged for the ATV tour with Melvin. I have been on numerous excursions in many ports and to me this was my favorite of all of them. Our ages ranged from 48 to 67 and all of us enjoyed the tour tremendously and had a blast. Melvin and his cousins made sure we all had a great time and made us feel safe. We rode through the countryside and did some off roading also. We stopped at a local school, a local farm, a beach for a drink and to use the restroom, and took a short walk to a waterfall. I can not sing Melvin's praises enjoy and highly recommend this trip to anyone with a sense of adventure. The scenery was wonderful and the tour is one not to be missed. If you E-mail me at Talulah40@aol.com I will send you a link to my book of the trip on shutterfly. Trip not to be missed. Loved, loved, it.

I would tell u to contact Tours with Terry for Samana, This was by far one of the best excursions I have taken......... Really got to see Samana up close & personal.........beer, water & soft drinks included..... as well as a lunch made by locals which was excellent!!

Archived