Guaranteed Balcony cabin category or Guaranteed Balcony Cabin???

upgrademe

That's kind of a tongue twister.....

So I guess my question to all you Cunard regulars is do I take a chance on the lower fare guaranteed balcony category or pay a bit more for a specific guaranteed balcony cabin? A1 verses A7 on the QV

I've never been on the Cunard line, so am not familiar with the ins and outs of good balcony cabins verses maybe not so good. They have an odd way of showing their category's by color alone and sometimes it's hard to differentiate between subtle shades of the same color.

Thanks in advance for what I know will be an on target answer from a savvy Cunard afficianado:)

We are on the Queen Mary Feb 2nd. Never been on it before. A couple coworkers were on it last year one in March one in September.

One loved the "Hull Balcony", They had a toddler with them and would have needed an inside cabin for satety, but the hull cabin was very safe for the toddler.Only comment very dark!

Another was on the ship in a "Hull Balcony". They found it very dark and not the usual air movement that you have with the open balcony and no great views. Did not recommend it to me because they know that I like bright and a lot of air.

I did upgrade to the Britannia Club AA on Deck 12. Very costly compared to the hull balcony. Near the pool, top deck, great views, away from the crowded lower decks[look at the deck plans] and best of all and worth the cost for us,open seating dining!

Make sure what type balcony you want. Hull, obstructed or open!

Also, they will serve you diner in your room, that is what they told me!

Any help from this?

That's kind of a tongue twister.....

So I guess my question to all you Cunard regulars is do I take a chance on the lower fare guaranteed balcony category or pay a bit more for a specific guaranteed balcony cabin? A1 verses A7 on the QV

I've never been on the Cunard line, so am not familiar with the ins and outs of good balcony cabins verses maybe not so good. They have an odd way of showing their category's by color alone and sometimes it's hard to differentiate between subtle shades of the same color.

Thanks in advance for what I know will be an on target answer from a savvy Cunard afficianado:)

Depends on how important location is to you. If you don't really mind where you are - then go for the guarantee. If location is important (some like to be mid-ships if there is a chance of rough weather - not likely to be much of an issue with most QV itineraries - others with impaired mobility like to be near elevators) then go for the specific cabin.

As location is not an issue for me, I almost always book guarantees....and spend the difference in the Commodore Club!;)

If you book an A7 guarantee, you will get an A7 or better. Keep in mind that an A7 is a steel balcony, not plexiglass.

If you book say an A5 guarantee.. you'd get A5 or better.

If you are at all fussy about where you are on a ship, never ever book a guarantee.

I booked a B5 obstructed balcony for $699 and was upgraded to an A-2 for the upcoming 4 nighter to the Bahamas. I had a hull balcony on 2 previous QM2 cruises and found it to be dark. I recently got another upgrade from Caronia to Britannia on last week's transatlantic crossing. I guess the upgrade fairy is being super nice to me!

Good Luck!

Archived