Calling all snorkelers (& zipliners)....

tropicaltammy

We will be sailing to Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and Santo Tomas on 2/3/08. Our family wants one great snorkel that week (2 boys -12 & 15). We are looking for pretty coral and pretty fish. To me Belize being near the 2nd largest barrier reef screams "snorkel here", but I don't know if that is what I am hearing on these boards. Is it better in Cozumel, and if so, where? I've heard Roatan is good, but we are not due to arrive until 3 or 4 pm!! The other activity we want to try is zip-lining. Thinking Santo Tomas would be a good place for that, but is it available there? The cave-tubing in Belize also sounds like a kick! So many excursions.....so little time!! Anyone been there, done that?

We just got from snorkeling in Cozumel and cave tubing/zip line in Belize. The snorkleing in Cozumel was challenging. I had dove in Cozumel and thought it would be great to snorkel. However, we found that the wave action made it more difficult snorkeling. We had a great day in Belize doing the cave tubing and zip line. But I had heard that Belize has a great reef and snorkeling would probably be good there also.

In Belize we snorkeled only along the reef in front of Caye Caulker, but I think in a very limited time you will find everything you are looking for. PLENTY of fish in PLENTY of color combinations. A BEAUTIFUL REEF! Spiny rock lobsters, large conchs and helmet shells, moral eels, rays, sharks, sea fans, many species of coral, Christmas Tree worms. Everything. Possibly even a manatee or a whale shark, depending on where you go. Generally the water is NOT noticeably in motion: the water in two of three sites we visited is clear as glass, and the third had suspension in the water which made it difficult for underwater photography but not hazardous. I believe that these conditions obtain pretty generally down the reef in the Bay of Honduras as far as Roatan. Cozumel is notorious for many currents and enormous depths--even my doctor, who loves scuba diving, did not like the conditions he met with there.

The guides are in very good shape, though, and they will induce you to swim very far so that you can see everything they have to show you. If you are hesitant about swimming a half a mile or so in an hour and a half, tell him before you get in the water to take it easy. Large groups should be fairly safe, of course . . . . :rolleyes:

We just got back from Belize and went snorkeling. We booked at the dock after we tendered. They had several youth in our group and they seem to enjoy the snorkeling. The company we went with provided life jackets so swimming for a long distance was not a problem. They also took us to Shark Alley to swim with the stingrays!!! What a blast. I think if your sons enjoy the water and are adventurous, I say go for it.

We also went snorkeling in Roatan-we arrived at 3:30 and took a fast trip over to Fins and Flippers (about a five minute boat ride) and got to snorkel. We only had a small amout of time, but the snorkeling was really nice.

BoBrandy---since I posted my question I have booked the cave tubing and zip line combo with shoretrips.com and we will go to Fins & Flippers in Roatan.

What time did you get done with your tubing and zipline? Did you go back to the ship? Did you have enough energy to take in a short tour of Belize?

Sheila77--On a scale of 1 to 10 how was the coral and fish when you snorkeled F & F in Roatan? I love to see the coral, but do tend to get nervous about getting too close to it and getting cut. Do you think I will be able to relax at that site? Do you think beginners will be able to navigate and snorkel with ease? Were you nervous about not getting back to the ship on time?

Driftwood--do you think we will have time to discover Belize after our combo tour? We will already have $500 into that excursion...so looking for a cheap way to take in as much of Belize as we can before dark.

Thanks to all of you for your input!

We just got back from Belize and went snorkeling. We booked at the dock after we tendered. They had several youth in our group and they seem to enjoy the snorkeling. The company we went with provided life jackets so swimming for a long distance was not a problem. They also took us to Shark Alley to swim with the stingrays!!! What a blast. I think if your sons enjoy the water and are adventurous, I say go for it.

We also went snorkeling in Roatan-we arrived at 3:30 and took a fast trip over to Fins and Flippers (about a five minute boat ride) and got to snorkel. We only had a small amout of time, but the snorkeling was really nice.

Sheila:

Thanks for the information. It sounds like you had a great experience in Belize. Can I ask what company you booked with? We are also considering going to fins and flippers in Roatan. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

IMHO you have chosen the best introduction to Belize, and you will not have to worry about anything. You will travel for some time from the port through savannah land, which if you have not seen in the United States, you should find interesting, with many large birds to be seen, and low trees in virtual grassland. Even jailbirds are available as you pass the "Hattieville Radisson." Off to the left you will then begin to see the foothills of the Maya Mountains, strange great lumps on an otherwise flat landscape. You will turn off at the national capital Belmopan and head toward the Caves Branch River, which begins the rainforest area, and is I think one of the most beautiful areas of Belize. It matters little whether you do the ziplining before or after the cave tubing--the things you will see are all breathtakingly beautiful, and if you don't own a waterproof camera now, at least buy yourself a disposable with a flash just for this experience (after all, you already have $500 invested, and you want to record that investment, as it is well worth the money)!

If your guide suggests that you all go to Amigo's for lunch, I suggest you go for it, as the food is good and clean and definitely homemade, and the beer and other softer drinks are good and cold. By that time you will have "seen Belize" in more ways than one, and if you get back to Belize City and it is still early, grab a cab and go to The Museum of Belize--upstairs especially, for a shot in the arm of Mayan art and history, and downstairs for the modern history and natural history of Belize. I think admission is $10 Belize for adults, so it is AN IMMENSE BARGAIN! Behind the Radisson Fort George, next to the taxi drivers' bench, are the best things to purchase in Belize, at the fairest prices (fixed--don't dicker): small sculptures hand-carved of mahogany and other hardwoods, and jewelry of black coral (which the vendor is licensed to sell--an important feature).

No matter what happens, your day will be very rich and full, and you will have no regrets! Have a wonderful time, and don't worry about a thing! :D

Archived