Balmoral

Cosmic Rays

Phew thank goodness we didn't book it - we were close to doing that! This ship stretching seems pretty dodgy to me - but I love Fred Olsen - hope they get things going soon for everyone who is planning to sail with them.

The Fred Olsen web site tells us that the Balmoral inaugural cruise has been cancelled because of technical difficulties and money has/will be returned. The next one is still going ahead at the moment. I am going to check alternatives just in case! Wonder how much notice the passengers were given?

Maureen

Looks like the 13 February departure has been switched from Dover to Southampton - Fred Olsen sailed the ship to Southampton overnight and she is due to remain there until the scheduled departure. Not only is the berth much more sheltered than at Dover (where winter winds have recently shut the port for several hours on a couple of occasions recently), but there are more shipyard assets available as they work to fix the problem of getting the new and the old parts of the ship to 'talk to each other' electrically speaking.

Mike

It could be that the repair facilities are more available at Southampton. I must go and see if I can see her.

When I was on the Queen Victoria in December, we saw a ship being refitted in Hamburg. Since there was only one, I assume it was Balmoral.

Maureen

I have just looked at the Southampton shipping movements and it shows Balmoral in Berth 101 and says that she departs on 12th February presumably to reach Dover to pick up passengers on the 13th. She is in the berth that the Queen Victoria used the first time so should be visible from the shopping centre at West Quay.

Maureen

i saw Balmoral to-day in Berth 101 in Southampton - same berth the Queen Victoria went from on her maiden voyage. She is rather like a small block of flats - in other words more modern looking than his other ships. However, unlike some modern ships, she does not dominate the city skyline. There was smoke coming from the funnel so the engines must work.

Maureen

We are leaving now to fly to London and spend the night in Dover before sailing on the 13th. Fred Olsen confirmed to us (48 hours before sailing) that Balmoral will sail from Dover. Don't believe they'd change their plans inside of 48 hours unless something is really wrong and they just can't sail her at all. Looking forward to a great month on board. Ta Ta all.

Balmoral did not sail at 3pm. I waited until four, walked along the shore in the sun and ate an ice cream!

I have just looked at the shipping movements and the time has been changed to 7.30pm and it says that she is underway (just) and arriving in Dover at 7am to-morrow.

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wishing to keep check on Balmorals progress needs only to go onto "Fred Olsen Cruise Lines" Click on "Balmoral" in list on the left and then click on "Ship Locator" on the right,now you can see just how far she has got. I hope this helps you all. Roy

Archived