When to cruise Hawaii

Ann&Chris

We are from England and are thinking of cruising Hawaii next year. We had thought either June or early September on NCL Wind but I've been interested to read various comments on other lines leaving from North American ports. Of particular interest would be Princess from LA, but since they only sail up to April, then from late September, I would appreciate any comments on what the weather would be like in the later part of the year, and any thoughts on the relative merits of NCL and Princess in that part of the world.

Grateful for any advice.

Ann

We are also interested in cruising to Hawaii in 2005, possibly March with Princess from L.A. Would greatly appreciate any recommendations regarding this time of year for cruising to Hawaii as well as the 14 day sailing out of L.A. on the Island Princess. We have been on the sister ship the Coral Princess to Alaska and loved her, just not sure of the 14 day itinerary for the Island Princess, please advise....

This will be our 1st time to Hawaii:D

I would stay off NCL for a while. It is a notch below Princess, and there are still a lot of problems on the POA cruises.

We are going on the Island Princess from LA in November, so will report back when we get home. We have done this on HAL before from San Diego and had a great time. Celebrity should also be looked at seriously...we love their ships and they are adding more Mainland to Hawaii routes next year.

The first day or two out of LA or San Diego will be cool in the winter, but it will warm up after that. September is still Pacific hurricaine season, which could give you some rough weather. I would lean more towards November through March to avoid problems with this. Hawaii is lovely all year around!

I can't comment as to sea days from the mainland to Hawaii, but you would have no problem in the islands weather-wise. The weather doesn't change that much throughout the year. Summer is somewhat hotter and December/January are somewhat wetter (with Kona storms, etc.) Hurricanes do strike from time to time, but rarely anthing like what's been going on in the Atlantic this year. No matter when you go, the weather will be warm and you will almost certainly have periods of rain, usually short duration.

beachchick

I'm sorry to say but June or September or in between would be my last choice of dates to cruise Hawaii. For all the reasons mentioned:

1. Basically, only NCL does cruises there at that time. Some of it's

ships (Pride of Aloha specifically) doesn't have it's act together

yet;

2. More chance of storms although one can never truly rule out bad

weather at any time. Hurricanes are more prevalent in Sept, e.g.

3. Whale season is a simply fantastic time to be in Hawaii -- Dec-March but also into April. That's when most cruise lines cruise Hawaii also (from the mainland).

In addition to Princess, HAL, and Celebrity, don't forget RCL (in case it didn't get mentioned). Some of these will start cruising in late Sept if you must go in September. Decide if you think you like one of those products instead of NCL. NCL does have other ships doing that itinerary that you might check out if you think you'd like the NCL product.

Just my opinion.

Sammy

I am also thinking of a Hawaiian cruise. Specifically a round trip from either LA or San Diego.

I had a travel agent tell me that fall is better than spring to Hawaii because there is less chance that weather will affect being able to get to ports.

Does anyone have any comments about that? I don't know whether she is right or not, but based on that I'm looking to cruise in late October.

Lori

I really don't think fall and spring are all that different, in terms of ocean conditions. Summer can be bad with potential for hurricanes and winters can be pretty rough depending on ocean status but fall and spring are about the same. Of course, there's always the possibility of an unseasonal storm ...

Spleen

Hi, this will be our first cruise to Hawaii, our TA hightly recommended that we not go earlier than Feb. due to rough water from La to Hawaii, the threat of big storms are over in December, but seas can be high until Feb. She also recommended Princess (we love sailing on Princess -I am an amputee and use an electric scooter to help get around on the ship). According to our TA POA does not have its act together yet..she sailed on it last year. My husband and I love sea days so this is going to be great.

The staff on Princess have always been very helpful, and the food is always great, plus we have always enjoyed thier recommended tours.

We were in Maui 20 years ago for 5 days and cannot wait to return.

I am not too anxious for winter to come, but can't wait for this cruise. We are having an amazing string of beautiful weather in Chicago now (very rainy spring and cool summer) so we are injoying our dry 80 degree weather now.

Wish I could send this beautiful weather to those in the gulf states..our prayers are with them.

Aloha...Arlene & Paul in Illinois

Many thanks to all for the helpful replies and comments. Unfortunately we are unable to travel during the winter months - our latest departure would have to be towards the end of September. We were actually looking at the 10 or 11 day itineraries with Norwegian Wind - the trip down to Fanning Island appealed to us. I've read about the problems with PoA and would certainly avoid that ship for the time being, and although not everyone is entirely happy with Wind, there doesn't seem to be so much negative comment. However, we will look at all the options.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy your cruises.

Ann

P.S. for Arlene and Paul - have a special fondness for Chicago, having visited a few times. I have a cousin living near there. Agree wholeheartedly with your wishes for the Gulf States (and the Caribbean - we cruise there in November).

Ann & Chris...I think you made a good choice. Fanning Island really appeals to me too and Norwegian has been doing that run since 1998 or early 1999. So it knows its stuff there.

Originally NCL sent the then Dynasty to Christmas Island (instead of Fanning) but the ship was too small, probably among other reasons. The stretched Windward (nee Wind) replaced her and Fanning Island became the stop. I know, because I strongly considered that itinerary but the Dynasty didn't have balcony cabins and I wanted one for Mom, who couldn't walk far. We chose Vision of the Seas instead.

Have a wonderful cruise. You'll be fine in September

Sammy

Archived