HAL vs RCL

We are trying to decide between HAL and RCL for a December cruise with our 18 month old and was wondering if anyone can comment on the in room babysitting? I think both lines offer it, but I would like anyone’s comments that have actually used it on either line.

Also, I know RCL it geared more toward families or at least that is what I encountered, but we can get a lot more cabin on HAL for the money which I think will benefit us more given our son can participate in the kids programs anyway. Thoughts??

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed on RCL last Christmas with our 10 month old daughter. We stopped at the purser's desk on the 1st day and told them when we needed a babysitter. My husband and I scuba dive so we wanted a sitter when we were in port. They ask the crew if anyone wants to earn extra money. We had no problem getting a sitter and had the same sitter the entire cruise. I think the cost was $8 an hour. We are sailing HAL this Christmas for a 21 day cruise with our now 20 month old. As far as the child's activities, they aren't old enough to partake in any activities so it doesn't matter what ship you take. Also, they won't let them in the pools, even with a swim diaper and rubber pants.

Since HAL is part of Carnival Corp, and since Carnival doesn't provide in room sittting, you might have to look for group sitting on HAL. RCCI and Celebrity are the only lines that offer in room sitting, due to liability concerns. Also, being your son is only 18 months old, he cannot participate in any of the kids programs on either HAL or RCCI. The minimum age for HAL is 5 and for RCCI it's 3, so there are no kids programs for infants or toddlers on either of those lines.

Archived