Canopy Tour?

helicopter

I believe I was told the age limit was 10 - not 100% sure though. As for price, I know it was posted about a month ago - I want to say there was two prices, depending on if you did the whole tour or just half. Maybe something like $35 or something like that. Scroll down to several weeks ago and someone has the exact price. It's supposed to be fun! We definitely want to do it when we're there in June.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Paradise 6/27

Hey there.
We just got back from the Sea on 4/10. We did the canopy tour and it was AWESOME. Hightlight of the trip. It cost $35 dollars and we had a guide take us to it, most of them will know about it.
I just got my pictures back from the canopy tour. The second to last "swing" is the best, you come out over a bridge and there are waterfalls to the right, amazing!
There were four of us in the group that did it, and so we weren't rushed and could go at our own pace.
We had two guides with us and they were great. Definitely do it!!!

Does anyone here have the email to the company who runs the Canopy Tour? Sounds like an awesome place to visit...... Thanks =)

[img]http://animatedgif.net/animals/wateranimals/trwhalebm_e0.gif[/img]

I will be on the Carnival Paradise on June 15th and am looking forward to finding this canopy tour. When you got there did you ask a cab to take you to the Canopy Tour or had you prearranged a tour? If you prearranged, how did you do it. Apparently there are two locations on the island that offer this, what was the name of the one you took? Did you post your photos?

We did the canopy tour last week and it was awsome.This was the best excursion we did all week. When we got off the ship the first lady we talked to offered us a price of $15 per person for a cab for the day. We told her we wanted to do the canopy tour and go snorkeling. The driver and a tour guide drove us up to the Jungle Canopy Swing and we were able to leave our stuff in his van, he met us at the bottom of the Swing. We paid $35 per person for the Jungle Canopy Swing and I believe it was 12 platforms, including one line where they bounce you on and one line where you can go upside down. We were told that the other Canopy Swing location didn't offer the bouncing line and only had about 5 or 6 platforms, but was unlimited and only cost $25. I don't think the company has an email and most likely can't be pre-arranged. There were only 4 other people doing the lines during our visit since most tourists don't know this attraction exists.

***Bring your camera along for the canopy swing... We took some great pictures.

We were taken to a beach (I think it was called the Mayan Princess Resort) and snorkeled at the reef nextdoor at Tabayana. Reef was in pretty shallow water and you could stand up for parts of it.

Until we cruise again........NCL SEA 4/17/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;4;17;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

• 2 months later...
If you just get off the ship and ask-will they know you want the one with many platforms? Also did you have to pay the driver to get you there? How much to take a taxi and are there taxis around when you get through. We really are interested in this! Thanks!

We just returned from Roatan - and the Canopy tour was the highlight of our trip. We paid a van driver $80 for 8 of us for the day (make sure your driver speaks English - and agrees to be paid at the end of the day) He took us to the canopy tour first. We didnt specify which tour (I had read earlier that there were 2) but if there is any confusion just say you want the one with 11 platforms. The tour was fantastic!! Our driver met us at the bottom, took us to the beach for a couple of hours then took us back to the ship. I was very apprehensive about this port, but it turned out to be very hassle free. Let me know if I can answer any more ???

We paid $35 each and because there were 12 of us going together (our 8 + 4 others) it probably took over 1 hour. We did not arrange it ahead of time - just asked our van driver to take us there. There is a group of about 5 young men that were there waiting for us. They were very professional and fun. I remember reading somewhere on this board that the canopy tour in Costa Rica was better, but I cant compare. All I can say is that this was awesome!

What if you don't want a driver for the day? If you do is it only $10 per person? There are three of us and just want to canopy. Thanks! I know we are there till 8 pm, but probably want to go to the beach on the west side of the island. Not as crowded as tabanya beach. Thanks!

Im not sure that I understand your question. I believe you will be paying around the same price if you have one driver take you to the Canopy tour and beach, and a 2nd cab take you back to the ship (probably even more because the 2nd cabbie knows you are stuck at the beach!) As far as what to expect to pay a cabbie, I have read on these boards that folks pay as little as $3 per person each way to up to $8 per person each way (so $6 - $16 total, per person). I thought that we did well with the $10 per person, especially since we were in a clean, airconditioned van and the driver spoke English.

[quote name='soopermom']I thought that we did well with the $10 per person, especially since we were in a clean, airconditioned van and the driver spoke English.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember your drivers name or cab #? Did you just do the canopy tour and beach and he stayed with you the whole day (how long)?

Okay, so we get a driver for the day and he takes us to canopy and whtever after for a set price per person. Will he take us to the ship to cange for the beach? Waht would he charge for the whole day and what would we expect to pay for him to take us just to canopy and back?

Hi Charyoung - I would recommend that you just wear your bathing suit on the Canopy ride (or under your clothes) - it is quite a drive from the dock to the start of it. I have no idea what the cab driver would charge just to take you the the Canopy and back. The beach is wonderful, though, I wouldnt miss it!

Jlines - The drivers name was Omar. Our friends that went with us have his phone # and they will be here this weekend. I will post it then - he was great! We actually shared him with another group - he picked us up, took us to the Canopy tour, went back to the dock and got them, took them to the beach, came and got us and took us to the beach. He had to take us back to the dock first (they had prearranged timing with him) but we were ready to go. Cant say enough about how great the day was!

It is fun!!!

What is the canopy tour??

You arrive at their parking lot (a dirt pull over off the road)

They attach each of you to a harness (a contraption that goes between your legs and around your waist with a mega hook attached)

They then explain what you will need to do to survive:D

You are then taken to a platform where they take that mega hook, attach it to a cable and send you on your way.

Eleven 'attachments' later, you are on the ground.

Some of the 'rides' are fast, some are slower, some you can flip upside down, and some they bounce you!

The young men that run the place are very professional, yet nice and fun also.

Do this first, then spend a few hours on the beach - a great day in Roatan!!

I'm on the Sept. 25th sailing of the NCL Norwegian Sea. Their shore excursion page does not offer anything on the Canopy tour - any ideas why? Are the safety/liability issues?

I've never planned a shore excursion on my own, so I'm a little nervous about checking into this, but I've seen tons of glowing remarks about this Victor guy.

How exactly does it work? Do I just tell him what ship I'm on, what day and times, and what I want to do, then wait for a quote? What do most people do? Is it realistic to want to try the Canopy Tour plus a little driving tour of the area, plus an hour or so at the beach (would I ask to go to Tabyana, or is that beach private?)? How much might I expect to pay for that?

Help! :)

Thanks,
Mark

FYI - Some ships do offer the canopy tour but only the shorter one - you'll pay more money for less platforms. You're better off going on your own - you can go to the 11 platform tour and it's only $35.00.

Mark,

Write to Victor at [email]Victorbodden@yahoo.com[/email]. Reserve him for you day. When you arrive Victor will take you around for the day. He will take you to the canopy and pick you up at the bottom. For us, not everyone wanted to do the canopy so he dropped us at the beach (uses the beach at the Mayan Princess --- same area as Tabyanna) and then took our boys to the canopy, waited for them at the bottom. We then did a tour of the island and he took us to the iguana farm ($5 per person --- fun if you have kids --- we had a 10, 13, 15, and 18 year old and they all enjoyed). He also took us to a grocery store where he went in with me to buy vanilla ($1 for 16 oz vs. $3 for 1 oz here in the US). This was our second time using Victor. He is great. We also went to his home and met his family. It is very humbling to see how some people in the world live. Use Victor, you will have a wonderful day.

Lisa

Victor charges about $20-$25 per person ($25 if only 2 people, but $20 if 4). This is about his only source of income and during the low season (now), they only get 2 ships one week and 1 the next. Not much opportunity. Believe me, it is well worth it for an entire day. You will not be disappointed.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
We took the canopy tour in Roatan and it was the highlight of our cruise. We ended up booking the Tabayana Beach tour through Carnival. Once at the beach there is a place there where you pay 35 dollars for the 12 stops or 20 for 5 stops. I do not recommend the 5 stops. Everyone who did that wished they had spent the rest of the money to go the whole way. It is really fun. Go upside down if you have a chance! My 12 year old son even did it. You will not see any animals or anything- you really concentrate on watching when you have to "put on your brakes". The whole ride takes about 1 hour. The beach is very nice also. The snorkeling is also pretty good. Long way out though-wear your fins even if it is hard to get into them!

Archived