Canopy Tour?

helicopter

Cricket-If we just get a taxi to tabanya beach, can we just do the canopy from there? For the $35 is the drive there included? Sure would be better than hiring a driver for the day to just take us to canopy, then beach. What do you think. Thanks!

For the poster who asked about her 12 y.o. doing the canopy tour, --my 9 y.o. just did it and they were wonderful with him - no problems at all. On the one really fast line, they guide took him down and my son got to "fly" like superman....he loved it, but had the guide there so he didn't have to worry about stopping by himself.

• 2 weeks later...
On the Canopy tour, can anyone tell me how you control your descent - or however you get from platform to platform. I understand the concept but do you have control of how fast you go down? - and how you "land" on the platforms. One of the members of our group has bad knees and a bad shoulder -- do you have to pull or hold the line to control your speed? And do you land hard on the platforms? My friend said it sounds like fun but not sure if she's in physical shape to tackle it.

The answer would be yes and no to the question about controlling the speed. One hand stays on the clip right in front of your tummy and the other hand stays on the steel cable above and a little behind your head. In order not to spin, you have to stabilize yourself by touching the cable. In order to stop, you need to pull down on the cable. It does take some strength. On the other hand, there were two young men who stayed with us the whole time. One went first and helped us glide onto the next platform. The other hooked us up and sent us on our way. However, he was open to going with me if I wanted to have someone do all of the controlling. In this case, I didn't have to hold onto the cable; he controlled us, both. This would only be possible with one person in each group, however, since everyone went ahead of us on each platform and then he went with me. I opted for this on only a couple of the stretches--those that were particularly long and high. I was a little bit of a wimp. Any more questions, just ask!

• 4 weeks later...
I really want to try the canopy tour - Had no idea one could do it and still have beach time. Tell me how safe it is ...! I know the hook is plenty sturdy, but how about the wires that are strung across the trees - well-anchored? Do they assure you of your safety prior to going ...? CB

[quote name='shannonh']On the other hand, there were two young men who stayed with us the whole time. One went first and helped us glide onto the next platform. The other hooked us up and sent us on our way. [/QUOTE]

Wow! What a dream job these guys have got - to spend every day doing something they love and sharing it with others who are experiencing it for the first time!

• 4 weeks later...
Regarding the safety...my husband is 6'4" and weighs apprx. 280 lbs. and he did fine. So trust me, the harnesses and lines are VERY sturdy, don't think any risk of falling or whatever. It really sounds scarier than it is. There's a guide always waiting for you on the platform, so even if you come too quickly, he'll stop you with no problems. You won't crash or anything. Regarding the question about birds, monkeys, etc. We didn't see any (I don't think there're monkeys on the wild in Roatan). The canopy tour is more about going down the lines, not really about sightseeing the fauna in the forest...trust me, you go pretty quickly down the line. You can appreciate the beauty of the forest and it's really pretty, but you're paying attention to the platform and making sure you stop yourself on time, etc. You're in each line apprx. 10-20 seconds. Doesn't sound like much, but it is a lot of fun. It does take like an hour since you do have to wait for everyone, get connected, zip down, get un-connected, etc. It's LOTS of fun and safe.

Has anyone been on the tour lately(last few weeks) that was not offered by the cruise ships?I am going to Bay Island Beach resort for our day in Roatan and when I asked about going to the canopy tour first on our way, he said there is some discussion that the owners are limiting the canopy tour to those on cruise ship tours. There apparently is a smaller one that may remain open on cruise ship days to everyone else. He is checking around and when he gets back to me I'll let everyone know, but wondered if anyone here had first hand info....I know that when I first booked the cruise with norwegian there wasn't any excursion offered that had a canopy tour, now there is one on their website..so they may have some sort of "arangement" with the owners..

We had a group of 4 do the tour on 10/5 from the Norweigan Sea. It was not offered as a shore excursion on our cruise-so we grabbed a taxi for the day 12-6:30($100). Canopy Tour cost $35 a person. That was our first stop-beat the crowd. You can email the Canopy Tour operators at [email="akr@globalnet.hn"]akr@globalnet.hn[/email] with any questions :) You don't want to miss this- It was a blast the guides are very accomodating.

Can anyone tell me how long the canopy tour takes from the time you get into the taxi or van until you arrive back near the ship. My husband and I will be booking a resort scuba course and I would like to know if we have time to do both because the canopy tour sounds great!

Hi..... we are travelling with a 10 month old infant. Is it possible for both of us to do the canopy tour, but separately? What I am wondering is if one of us can go down the line, then go back up to fetch the child and then somehow get down to the bottom (by walking or car) while the other spouse goes down the line. Can it be done, or should we just forget about doing it and go spend our day on a beach?

Archived