Kona Fishing - my Blue Marlin!

Aloha_Jackie

aloha everyone - we have just returned from our wonderful cruise and another voyage with Captain Ray Jay Kalman, Wife and First Mate Vicki, and deckhand Tommy aboard the Shogun.

We had a wonderful time!

:)

RayJay, Vicki, Tommy, my husband, and I sailed down to Kealakekua to snorkel on 12/26/04. We had the lines out and although we saw lots of dolphin and of course lots of fish underwater, we werent able to snare any whoppers this run. It was a great sunny day, following a rainy/overcast Christmas on the Hilo side the day before. Water was flat and conditions were perfect. We motored on out of Honokohau Harbor, after arriving in about 10 minutes by taxi (about $8 bucks) from our tender at Kailua-Kona near the King Kamehameha Hotel. Drove down to Kealakekua and snorkeled and saw tons of fish. Drove back and were back aboard by around 4:30. What a lovely day. Plan to post pics soon. Until later - stay bent! hugs, Aloha_Jackie

Thanks for posting this thread. I just booked a snorkel and fishing combo with them in June for myself, dw and my 16 and 18 year old daughters. They are all thrilled with the idea. My wife and I have both talked to Captain Ray Jay and he was very nice and informative. Hope our trip is as good as all of yours. I do have a couple of questions.

1. is the mate included in the price?

2. are we supposed to tip the mate or captain? I live in Maryland and have chartered many fishing trips and have always tipped the mate, just wondering if it is the same in Hawaii.

Thanks, crabby1

Aloha Crabby - Tommy (the mate) has been included with our excursions with CPT RayJay as part of the fishing/snorkel combo tour. You may wish to clarify with the CPT for your particular charter. As with any good service, it is customary to tip - at your discretion. You may wish to ask about fish cleaning or anything else prior to your sailing.

• 4 months later...

Hello, just wondering if you would share what ballpark figure we should budget for taxidermy job should we get a whopper...?

Thanks and congrats on your big catch!

PS Wonder what you caught on your next trip?

Original estimates for Greys Taxidermy (recommended by the captain, Pompano Beach Florida) was $4K (US, sorry, I dont know what that is in Canadian). I paid $1570 (something like that) for a one sided wall mount of my fish. They had an older mold which I used that was 11 feet 4 inches, my fish was 11-9, but now I can always say that my fish was a tinier bit bigger than that one hanging on the wall :D

Lots of options, they do them standing up (so to speak/vertically) and add tabletops and all kinds of stuff, like the painted flames on the fish seen in the MTV "Real World" San Diego.

Keep in mind that shipping is/will be quite expensive unless you choose a local taxidermist. The crate or whatever they ship it in could also cost you a pretty penny. There are different methods for doing it, but mostly fiberglass body with automotive acrylic paint. I cant say how much I love having it! I would never get another Marlin done, but would definitely consider a dorado, rooster tail or other dream fish. I am running out of wall space!

Sadly, we didnt catch anything the next trip, had fun and actually got to snorkel that time! It was a treat! I would go again (and will) next time I am on that Island!

When are you going? Tell me what you catch! Be sure to go on the Shogun if you go out of Kona! Tell Captain RayJay I say ALOHA!:)

I forgot to mention that they charge by the inch. :eek:

If you use a mold they already have, you save money too. If you get a new mold made, it will be more expensive. You might look into local places and see what they charge "by the inch". Sounds kind of funny. But is is expensive and they earn every penny. Lots of work. If you get a chance to visit one or your local places and they allow you into the back, you are in for a treat. It is really amazing to see how the work is done and what other people are having done, flying in everything from turkeys to rare birds and antelope from Africa etc - so some people do the hides, and they have to have the certificates and all the proper paperwork - both to get it out of the country of origin, and to get it here.

When you see the detail, and the artist is painting on each scale, you will have a whole new appreciation for the art of taxidermy.

Taxidermist I used:

Lyons and O'Haver - http://www.lyonsandohaver.com/

For over 40 years, Lyons and O'Haver taxidermy located in San Diego California has enjoyed a reputation of excellence among taxidermists. We specialize in fish reproductions, bird mounts and big game taxidermy

You may call us at (619)697-3217 or

Fax at (619)463-1053

8180 Parkway Dr., La Mesa CA. 91942 U.S.A.

E-mail: lyonsandohaver@sbcglobal.net

(La Mesa is in San Diego) - they say:

We are also hunting consultants and can assist you in planning a trip anywhere in the world- from Alaska to Zimbabwe.

Jackie - Thank you so much for all your advice. I asked my husband last night if he thought this was something he would like to do in Kona and next thing I knew he was on the phone to Cpt Ray in Hawaii! So we are booked for Feb '06!! Can't wait... Jayna K

I would never get another Marlin done, but would definitely consider a dorado, rooster tail or other dream fish. I am running out of wall space!

Jackie - no kidding. Looking at that picture again, I can't imagine how you'd hang more than 1 or 2 fish up on the wall without seriously running out of space in the room!

Spleen

Jackie - Thank you so much for all your advice. I asked my husband last night if he thought this was something he would like to do in Kona and next thing I knew he was on the phone to Cpt Ray in Hawaii! So we are booked for Feb '06!! Can't wait... Jayna K
Aloha Jayna - You're quite welcome, I am happy to "pay it forward"! I am really so happy to hear you will be going on a voyage with Cpt RayJay! You're just going to love it! Its great to have the boat to yourself and not be kicked by 20 or 30 or 200 inexperienced snorkelers trying to see what you are taking a picture of. The bonus: Catching the fish of a lifetime! :D My husband isnt really a fisherman either, but he likes a hookup now and then and was willing to go along. The scenery and boatride is enough in itself, but RayJay and his wife (and first mate) Vicki and their deckhand Tommy are so very nice - you will really enjoy their company. In addition, they are able to answer questions you may have about the terrain, wildlife, sealife, etc.

Have fun!

Jackie - no kidding. Looking at that picture again, I can't imagine how you'd hang more than 1 or 2 fish up on the wall without seriously running out of space in the room!

Spleen

Aloha Spleen - its a joke. I wouldnt ever get another fish like that - I would release it. This one was injured - I hooked it in the mouth and the eye and the nature of the beast is they fight to the death - I wasnt really ready for that aspect of it. But the fish did not go to waste, it was sold to the fish market immediately upon our return. I seriously dont have room for another fish of that size, I meant that if I were lucky to catch a roosterfish or dorado (mahi mahi to you) or something else that I have been dreaming about catching, then I would think about getting one mounted. I dont want to mount everything I catch, but the dream fish....hmmmm, maybe take my mothers advice and just take the picture.....my dad would say mount it. Everyone has their opinion on what I should have done with that Marlin......

I sure wish we were able to go on that fishing trip. We were scheduled to go while in port with the NCL Wind but the tendering was to dangerous so no one was allowed to go to port. I was sooooo upset at first! Just made me realize we need a vacation to Kona and just make it a land vacation so that we can do this fishing/snorkeling trip.

Thats quite unfortunate! :( I am so sorry you didnt get to go!

I sure hope that with your cruise you were able to see other ports. Kona and Big Island is the best (just my opinion) and you will need a land vacation there to see and do all that is available. We've gone back many times and still run out of time to get everything in. Maybe try out the new Sheraton in Keauhou - its just south of Kona and try to "hook up" with RayJay again - you'll be glad you did!:)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]Aloha everyone - I have an update and an additional new webiste for Captain Ray Kalman:

[URL="http://www.konaseasports.com/"]www.konaseasports.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.shoguncharters.com/"]www.shoguncharters.com[/URL]
Cell: 808-937-6944
Fax: 808-322-4335
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Mele Kalikimaka! :D
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
After reading all your posts about catching the "big one", we just might try our luck also. How far is it from Honokohau Harbor to where the ship docks please? Would a cab ride do it or should we consider renting a car?

We took a cab and we think it was around $8 USD. You should check it out - I know you'll have a great time! The snorkel/fishing combo is a lot of fun - good luck, have fun, and be sure to tell them Aloha Jackie sent you!:D

you can catch the cab at King Kamehameha Hotel or right there at the Pier, same difference....

[CENTER]:) [/CENTER]

no problemo! I seriously hope you get a chance to go! Its totally worth it! Whether you catch anything or not....of course its always more fun to catch something. I know you have so many options when visiting the Big Island, and we've been back several times because of it. But you wont be disappointed if you go with Captain Rayjay. Its their love of the islands, the land, the ocean and the people that comes thru - you'll "see" it! Have fun! Tight lines!

[CENTER]:) [/CENTER]

• 2 months later...
Aloha Fishing Buddies.....One more thing:

I just went back to CPT RayJays website to double check on something, noticed that they put a new blurb on their cancellation policy....

[SIZE=2]"[/SIZE][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000066][SIZE=2][B]Exception: [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]If arriving by cruise ship and, within 48 hours due to sea conditions, there is a change of itinerary, or disembarkation is not allowed, after notifying us, only $100 will be charged to your credit card."
[/SIZE]

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 1 year later...
Thanks Jackie,
I certainly hope we are as lucky. I would love it if my husband could catch a marlin. This charter is my gift to him for our 25th anniversary. I don't know if I can afford a private charter for just the two of us though. We may have to settle for one of the share charters unless we can find some other cruisers on the Pride of America 9/01/07 sailing who would like to join us and share the cost. Your fish is amazing!!! How exhausted were you after boating that baby? Thanks again.
Sue

Archived