Does Princess confiscate alcohol?

MaggieS

As one who likes a beer or 2;) on the balcony, I usually bring a dozen or so aboard either at embarkation or from a port stop. I generally bring it aboard in the bag(s) from the store and have never had a problem.

What else ya gonna' do, call room service:p, why do they provide a fridge???

I always bring a case of champagne on at the beginning of a cruise - carry it right on, no problem. (But then this is a policy stated in the pre-cruise papers)

I also always buy tequila in all the ports in Mexico, and have walked on with them and it has never been confiscated - EVER.

In Tahiti, we brought on several cases of Hinano in several ports, and we got looks of envy, but no one touched our stuff.

I think the only way to insure your booze is taken is to buy it on the ship in the duty free shop. ;)

we like our brands not the ones usually carried on board. on most cruise lines if you buy duty free you cannot take it back to your cabin it is given to you the last evening.

we collect wine and bring some special bottles from our cellar to celebrate. if it is great wine and we always offer some to the wine steward we do not usually get charged a corkage fee. we also bring splits of champagne on, throw 4 in a bucket and have them in the movie theater while watching a movie. just wish they had popcorn too!

That's cool. So all you would need then would be some canned ice tea, orange juice etc. to make vodka drinks. I assume too then that bottles of juice, soda could be kept in the refrigerator? We still plan on ordering drinks throughout the cruise but like to have a few drinks in our room.

When we traveled Princess (about 5 rides to date) they always check at the visit ports but do not search bags at boarding. Probably not enough time... Champ and Wine are allowed anyhow, it is just the hard stuff they want to block.

This is in a LARGE part due to protecting bar sales and in all fairness, it is also due to the need for safety. If they let you bring hard stuff onboard, there is no way to cut you off if you become a problem drunk.

One of the pros to Princess is that they do try to control the 'abnoxious(sp?) drunks'. Have seen them cut of plenty of folks or give them restricted bar access to some of the smaller venues. Also seen people walked to their cabins and policy 'explained' to them in the morning. This is NOT CARNIVAL and getting bombed and barfing on they neighbor (figuratively or otherwise) is not allowed and can result in bar priv loss or removal from ship.

Moral to the story, bring what you want when you board... Plastic is good for the hard stuff as the x-ray will show the bottle outlines and they can break open in your bags. Champ/wine is a must (and allowed) as the on-board prices are assine and a bottle for the patio is MANDATORY when in the company of wonderful woman! :-)

Good Sailing!

Okay, color me confused. :confused:

From what I've read, it seems that many people ARE able to bring on wine or champagne at embarkation, and Princess clearly states in their policies that we are allowed to purchase and bring those items onboard at ports.

Not a hard liquor drinker, wine or champagne only, yet the main page for Cruise Critic has an article about liquor policies on the different lines, and they state THIS about Princess:

BYOB?

Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed. Confiscated; returned at the end of the cruise.

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Allowed if purchased during a port visit; not allowed at embarkation. May be consumed in restaurants or in staterooms. When brought to restaurants, a $10 corkage fee applies.

Purchasing liquor in port: Retained until the end of the cruise.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Retained until the end of the cruise.

I DEFINITELY plan on bringing on a few bottles of wine/champagne at embarkation and will probably have them in carry-ons since I will buy them once in Ft. Lauderdale. From those who have sailed on the Caribbean Princess, do you think there will be any issue with this?

Yes I noticed that too. Their policy states that wine/champagne cannot be brought on at embarkation but I thought I read some of the other posts that indicated people had done that. We would like to bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard with us too. I guess the worst thing that could happen would be that they would put them away until you left the ship. Probably worth it to take a chance.

Archived