Upgrades upon checking-in

ErieCruiser08

My husband and I are sailing the Millenium in June to Alaska. We are first time cruisers and were wondering about upgrades. I have read some other posts where people have gotten upgraded (to their surprise) to a veranda room upon checking in. Does that really ever happen? Or does is happen very rarely?

We booked an oceanview stateroom, but if we asked upon checking in if there are any veranda rooms available, would we be able to upgrade at that time? Also, (if anyone has done this) what was the extra cost?:)

With the cruise industry running at 104% occupancy, the chances are not good. I would always ask when you check in.

I did on my last sailing and the ship was booked. However, I was told that half way through the cruise 54 passengers were getting off, and only 27 checking in. They told me that if an upgrade became available at that time and I wanted to move, there would be no charge. Otherwise, it an upgrade is available at check in, it sells for prevailing prices.

Good luck.

Alaska in June will surely be sold out. I don't think I have ever been on a ship that was not full..:confused:

If after final payment a particular cruise is not selling well then they will go at interline rates, and they can sell out the ship that way...

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

My husband and I are sailing the Millenium in June to Alaska. We are first time cruisers and were wondering about upgrades. I have read some other posts where people have gotten upgraded (to their surprise) to a veranda room upon checking in. Does that really ever happen? Or does is happen very rarely?

We booked an oceanview stateroom, but if we asked upon checking in if there are any veranda rooms available, would we be able to upgrade at that time? Also, (if anyone has done this) what was the extra cost?:)

Upon check in on our Medi cruise on Millie in Sept 04 we were upgraded from an aft cabin to a Royal Suite. We had booked our aft cabin at least a year in advance. We were REALLY surprised to say the least....

Hi Erie !

Sorry to say, but I wouldnt get your hopes up. Even if Cabins are available, Celebrity rarely offers "free" upgrades these days. Yes, it can happen, but the upgrade fairy isnt very generous at Celebrity. If any cabins are available, you can inquire about an upgrade at the pier, that you would pay for. Sometimes, they are excellent deals, sometimes not.

As the other poster said, the ship will probably be pretty full, so I wouldnt expect either option to be available. However, it never hurts to ask. I wish I had better news for you. Have a great Cruise !

Archived