Does anybody have a copy of what was offered to Frances Cruisers

tbrown

Hurricane Frances Itinerary Changes - Update #2 spacer.gif09/02/2004 spacer.gif

ITINERARY AND DEPARTURE DATE CHANGES MADE FOR ALL CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES SAILINGS FROM FLORIDA SEPT. 3-6

(MIAMI 9/02/04) – Based on the projected path of Hurricane Frances and anticipated port closures around the state of Florida, Carnival Cruise Lines is making the following changes:

SHIPS DEPARTING PORT CANAVERAL:

CARNIVAL GLORY – Seven-day Caribbean cruise scheduled to depart Sat., Sept. 4, will be converted to a four-day cruise to Freeport and Nassau, The Bahamas, departing Tues., Sept. 7. Guests who sail will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50 percent discount off a future cruise of up to seven days in length valid through departures of Dec. 15, 2005. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

FANTASY – Four-day Bahamas cruise scheduled to depart Sun., Sept 5 will be converted to a two-day cruise to Freeport, The Bahamas, departing Tues., Sept. 7. Guests who sail will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50% discount off a future cruise of three to five days valid for departures through Dec. 15, 2005. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

SHIPS DEPARTING TAMPA

SENSATION – Five-day western Caribbean cruise scheduled to depart Sat., Sept. 4, will be converted to a three-day cruise-to-nowhere departing Mon., Sept. 6. Guests who sail will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50 percent discount off a future cruise of three to five days valid for departures through Dec. 15, 2005. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

INSPIRATION – Seven-day western Caribbean cruise scheduled to depart Sun., Sept. 5 will be converted to a six-day western Caribbean cruise departing Mon., Sept. 6 with calls at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Guests who sail will receive a 20 percent refund of their cruise fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and 25 percent discount off a future cruise of up to seven-days in length valid for departures through Dec. 15, 2005. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or full refund.

SHIPS DEPARTING MIAMI:

FASCINATION – Three-day Bahamas cruise scheduled to depart Fri., Sept. 3 has been cancelled. Guests may opt for a future cruise credit or full refund.

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH – Seven-day western Caribbean cruise scheduled to depart Sat., Sept. 4 has been converted to a five-day western Caribbean cruise departing Mon., Sept. 6 with port calls at Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Guests who sail will receive a 30 percent refund of their cruise fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50 percent discount off a future cruise of up to seven days in length valid for departures through Dec. 15, 2005. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

PARADISE – Fifteen-day Panama Canal cruise scheduled to depart Sun., Sept. 5 has been converted to a fourteen-day Panama Canal voyage departing on Mon., Sept. 6. The only anticipated itinerary adjustment is the deletion of a port call to Aruba. Guests will receive a $200 per person shipboard credit. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

For guests who booked air on their own and elect to sail on the modified itinerary for any of the above voyages, Carnival will provide up to $100 per person in reimbursement for costs incurred as a result of necessary flight changes. Guests will be required to provide proper documentation. Guests who elect to cancel their voyage and booked air on their own, will not be provided reimbursement of airfare-related costs.

All of the ships listed above are expected to arrive late from their current voyages due to port closures.

Up-to-date information on ship arrivals and departures will be available via the cruise line’s web site at http://www.carnival.com and via recorded message at 1-800-CARNIVAL. Individuals who are scheduled to sail on any of the above voyages should check regularly for updates.

###

From reading these boards I also found that these discounts were not given to anyone who booked at the last minute.. (people who lived in Flordia and took a cruise to get away from the hurricane.) but no where did I ever find that stated in the small print)

Do you mean passengers that were delayed in returning to port b/c of Frances??? We were on Sensation for eight nights instead of five. We were not offered anything, except for complimentary use of the phone for a five hour period on that Sunday. I think all the food we continued eating and the entertainment that was provided was enough compensation.

CantWait: when did you book the cruise on the Sensation and did you take this cruise on Sept 4th??

according to the web page this is what you should have received.

SENSATION – Five-day western Caribbean cruise scheduled to depart Sat., Sept. 4, will be converted to a three-day cruise-to-nowhere departing Mon., Sept. 6. Guests who sail will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50 percent discount off a future cruise of three to five days valid for departures through Dec. 15, 2005. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

From reading these boards I also found that these discounts were not given to anyone who booked at the last minute.. (people who lived in Flordia and took a cruise to get away from the hurricane.) but no where did I ever find that stated in the small print)
That's because they got a great deal by booking the revised itineraries at the last minute. In the September 5th Sunday edition of the Orlando Sentinel, I saw the 4-day Glory cruise advertised as low as $149 per person!

CantWait: when did you book the cruise on the Sensation and did you take this cruise on Sept 4th??

according to the web page this is what you should have received.

No, I was on the Aug. 30th cruise that was supposed to return on Sept. 4th. The cruise you refer to actually ended up being cancelled b/c we were not even able to return on that Monday b/c the port of Tampa did not reopen until Tues. the 7th. That cruise was completely cancelled. The ship just restocked and then went out to sea. I was on the cruise when Frances was actually making landfall.

I would agree that being on there the extra days and the food would be compensation enough IF when we went to board we showed them that it looked like it was going to head this our way and we wanted to cancel. They flat told us no we will be fine join us and have fun and IF we could have assumed that food but due to being so damn sick food was not an option and IF we would have had a room steward that did his job and actually cleaned the room we found things from the last cruise that we know was not ours and IF when you asked a question you would get a polite employee instead of a crab ass. The only people that I can say we had any dealings with that was friendly was the entertainment staff and the waiters in the main dining room if you could make it there.

From my cruise from hell we didn't even get a kiss on the ass they were rude and didn't tell us facts from the moment we walked into the terminal.

I would agree that being on there the extra days and the food would be compensation enough IF when we went to board we showed them that it looked like it was going to head this our way and we wanted to cancel. They flat told us no we will be fine join us and have fun and IF we could have assumed that food but due to being so damn sick food was not an option and IF we would have had a room steward that did his job and actually cleaned the room we found things from the last cruise that we know was not ours and IF when you asked a question you would get a polite employee instead of a crab ass. The only people that I can say we had any dealings with that was friendly was the entertainment staff and the waiters in the main dining room if you could make it there.

From my cruise from hell we didn't even get a kiss on the ass they were rude and didn't tell us facts from the moment we walked into the terminal.

WHAT CRUISE WERE YOU ON???

Well what happened with your cruise? Was it longer than you expected or did you miss ports or what??? I don't understand what the situation was. We were not offered anything on our cruise that was extended from 5 nights to 8 nights except for complimentary use of the phone on that Sunday (we were supposed to be off Saturday). We were in Cozumel on Thurs. and were told that we might not be able to port back to Tampa on Sat. and if you had some reason that you had to be home that you could debark in Cozumel and find your own way home.

1. When we made the reservation we asked for a King bed. We asked again after being on the ship for five hours to the guy we saw in the hall he said he wasn't our steward and that he would tell them. Finally got the king bed the second night out because my husband had asked again about five times that day.

2. We told them when we got to the terminal that the storm looked as if it had jogged a little in our path and if they were offering cancellations. They told us that they were watching and for us to be assured that it in no way was going to interfere with our port of calls and to join them and have fun. So we joined them but in no way had fun.

3. The second day out to see they changed our t.v. channels to ones that doesn't have news or weather on them so we had no idea what was going with the hurricane but when you asked everything was looking great and we were on the same itenary. One hour after asking this question to the pursers desk we heard an announcement over the loud speaker or should I say my husband heard this because he was in the hall and I was in the room and they didn't make the announcement in the rooms that we were not going to Palay De Carmen because the storm had shifted (still no weather channel or news channels in the room) but it looked fine for Cozumel. Now if you look on the map they are not that far apart so how was that going to be So they took us to Progresso oh lordy was there progress needed in this area it looked so bad from the ship that we didn't even get off plus I ended up in bed from being sick from the major rocking even after the ship being tied up to port. The stories that came from other passengers were awful about this place and when the announcement was made they told us that the shopper consultant couldn't give us any ideas for this place like he did the day before for our port of calls because they didn't know. BUT have fun and good luck.

4. Set sail from Progresso headed back to Cozumel because we were going to be there the next day and they guaranteed this but about after 2 hour of sailing they came on speaker same as before and said nope we are headed to Varicruz. Now I don't know were exactly we were from Cozumel when this announcement was made but I do know that we were on the sea for approx 12 hours before porting in Veracruz again they knew nothing about this but have fun and good luck. Neither port understood us nor us them. We watched children being placed in ice chest to cool off and it was the same ice that they wanted us to purchase cokes out of. GROSS we seen bugs in the juices they made snow cones from. At one vendor they gave 4 prices for the same thing to two of us looking we were not there for an auction. At another vendor they said they didnt understand English but they were able to tell the guy his purchase was ten dollars the guy gave him a twenty and the vendor placed it in his pocket and said sorry no change and turned away.

5. Get back on to sail and they tell us we are going to Galveston to port and go through customs we would not be leaving there until Friday afternoon so if we wanted to make our own travel plans out of Galveston and stay on the ship Thursday night no problem because those staying would have a chance to get off the ship and all because we could not leave until Friday anyway. This was the plan for most and we pull into Galveston and they make the announcement that those making their on travel plans have to be off the ship between 10 and 12 because we were pulling out at 1 on the same day. Hello what about what we had already been told about staying over this is the information that our family back home and received and was attempting to get arrangements made to get us the hell off there and the website wasn't changed until we were already in port of N.O. thank goodness I purchased internet time because otherwise they wouldn't have known because nobody told or updated the website. But even the internet was a challenge because you couldn't use it in port number one and number two when we went down to the lounge we were told that everything was being fixed as we speak and it was going to be up and running at the time we were told no problem. We debarked at around 2 and couldn't get on the net until after 7. Then lost 10 minutes of time getting kicked off or stalled. Could handle getting kicked off wasn't costing me anything but the stalled time did count.

6 The day after leaving Galveston we were later told that they were offering 5 minute of free phone time if you asked how do you ask if you don't know anything about this. So we told them we were just told about this and could we use it and we were told NO should have came to them earlier in just this manner.

O.K. I understand the hurricane season and that is o.k. I guess BUT we are from Indiana when the agent from Carnival called about booking this you would think he would have said "now I feel obligated to tell you that this is hurricane season" nope never was told this and here were we live we don't think about this. These are the highlights

All you need to do is come to the boards for rudeness I don't have to pay for it. You have a point about what things we have but you know what I feel sorry for those people in the path but again we all have our problems and I wouldn't chose to live on the coast.

To tbrown:

I'm sorry you had a bad cruise and I hope you try it again sometime other than hurricane season. But........ we must all be informed travelers. Even living in Indiana one must know there is a "hurricane season." That's the very reason cruise prices are so low during the month of September. The most important thing about your cruise that I believe you overlooked is that you were SAFE! The captain and the cruiseline kept you from harms way during the storm.

No one can predict storms such as we've had lately. They change course frequently. I'm sorry you missed Cozumel. It's one of my favorute ports of call. But you were still on a cruise!

One other thing, on our very first cruise, our beds were set up as two twins also, instead of the king. As soon as we walked into the cabin and noticed the arrangement, we simply pushed one bed next to the other. Walaa! Took no more than three seconds. I can't understand why you waited two days for someone to do that for you???

I'm sorry you did not have the cruise you were expecting. Most newbies who book cruises Aug-Oct do not realize it is hurricane season. They either see the cheap rates or have a pushy TA who makes them believe they are getting a great deal.

That is why CC is here, to help newbies plan their cruises and let them know what to expect once on board. Though I can sympathize with you about the staff being hurried and sometimes rude, I would hate to have their jobs during this time of year. Most do not have any itenirary change information to give out and imagine how many people keep asking them the same questions.Try to look at the situation in their shoes: They are not psychics, they cannot tell you when a itenirary will change or how many days at sea you may experience, or even if you will debark at another port until shortly before the event is to take place. The captian does an excellent job of keeping his staff and passengers safe. Can you imagine how much pressure the captain must be under??? I can imagine how frustrated you and all the other passengers were but please understand how hard the captain and staff are working to keep you safe.

Was this your first cruise? Did you understand that this cruise was during the middle of huricane season? Please do not think I am being rude. I am just trying to understand how informed you were about cruising during huricane season. And did you not realize you could push the two twin beds together?

When you got home, we're all your loved ones, friends safe and sound?? Do you all have electricity, and open roads to drive on??

Do you have a home, and that king sized bed????

Count your blessings.

Madelaine,

I will be in Naples in a couple of weeks. How did you guys fare the hurricanes??

Colette,

Naples was VERY lucky. We had high winds during Charlie and there was only a loss of trees. In North Naples, they had structural damage.

Considering we are only 35 miles from where Charlie hit.

Frances caused a little tree damage. We had alot of people evacuating from the east coast, and Naples wasvery busy .Ivan caused high surf near the beach. We live 12 miles inland and only had rain. We consider ourselves very lucky after seeing all the damage.

Enjoy your time in Naples.

Madelaine

Tina,

I can understand your frustration especially with the mis-communication from various Carnival reps. But when you inquired in the terminal and the rep told you not to worry about the storm interfering with the ports of call you must have known that they were just trying to calm you down and that this was definitely subject to change based on weather conditions. It's just the risk you take when cruising during hurricane season. I certainly didn't expect for a six day vacation to turn into a ten day vacation and to have to take two extra days off of work b/c of being delayed, but that's the risk I took cruising during hurricane season. I don't think Carnival has any duty to warn cruisers when they book that it is hurricane season. With the way that the national media hypes up every storm it is common knowledge that Aug/Sept is prime hurricane season.

Based on looking at one of your other posts, it seems that you think that cruisers during Frances got some sort of extra compensation or something and I guess that was the main question in this post. Well I can't speak for anyone on any other Carnival ship but I'm here to tell you that on the Sensation, the only thing we got was complimentary use of the phone from 10 to 5 on that Sunday. And I tried about 200 times to call out and couldn't get a line. I eventually was able to get through to my husband that night about 11:30 and I asked for a credit the next day explaining that I had tried repeatedly during the allotted hours but I was not given one. I was thankful to receive a safe place to stay during the landfall of the hurricane and plenty of great meals. If we had gotten off the ship that Sat. morning I'm not sure we would have been able to fly out of Tampa before the storm and it would have been scary to have been trapped during the storm.

Just chalk it up to a lesson learned that you won't plan a cruise during the prime months of hurricane season again. We were cruising for my mom's birthday on Aug. 28th and we've agreed no more cruising for her birthday.

Good luck with your next cruise!

We took the Fantasy on 9/2 to a cruise to nowhere for $132 pp oceanview, because of sand couldn't get back to Canaveral so docked at Miami on 9/7 and they bused us back. I found out about it from car rental place on the beach. Had a cheap 5 day cruise and didn't have to evacuate. Will do it again.

We took the Fantasy on 9/2 to a cruise to nowhere for $132 pp oceanview, because of sand couldn't get back to Canaveral so docked at Miami on 9/7 and they bused us back. I found out about it from car rental place on the beach. Had a cheap 5 day cruise and didn't have to evacuate. Will do it again.

Just curious how long of a bus ride was it from Miami to Pt. Canaveral?

1. No we didn't realize that the bed pused together we were told that they had a strap that was suppose to hold secure them. We looked everywhere and couldn't find them. Wouldn't be so bad but asked about them being put together when placing reservations and also around one the afternoon after boarding.

2. Nope can't say I get a chance to see much on t.v. because I run three daycares and by the time I get home I don't have time to watch t.v.

3. Didn't find this website until the sixth of September so a little late to learn anything that would help

4. Lying to me to keep me calm is not the best thing to do when you are taking that many people out into the middle of no where and porting in places I wouldn't even let my husband's ex walk (and that is saying something becuase trust me no love lost there)

5. Travel agent NEVER said anything about hurricane season. To be honest I never even thought about such a thing until this year because this year is the most you have heard of anything

6. No matter what the lack of communcation or as Carnival put it today the Confusion of communication was a major problem. I don't see the confusion they say that they are going to stay over in Galvenston so that people could get there own way out but then when we get there they way if you are getting off you have two hours to do so we are not staying we are moving on into home port. What about those that planned on staying overnight and leaving the next day like they had done told us that we could?

7. The rudeness from the crew the lack of seeing the room steward, the rudeness from the headquarters today really makes me think about traveling on with Carnival again. Oh but the 10 percent they offered me on the next cruise may just put me there. NOT especially since the next cruise we were going to do was a group cruise that I was planning. Looking into another cruise line now.

Archived