Rough seas on South America cruise?

moveup

We're thinking about a South America cruise (Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, around the cape), next January in case that matters. We have only sailed in very calm waters, and we're concerned about seasickness on a South American cruise. If you've been there, what was your experience with rough seas?

Our cruise friends have done it twice and both times it was rough, but it only lasts for a few hours from what they told us. Take a Bonine the day before and that day and you should be fine. Bonine is my cruise medicine of choice. I used to get so sea sick now I can enjoy everything!

We had force 10 winds on the Beaufort scale, and waves of 45ft. Things falling off shelves, bottles breaking in the bars and all that. Drake's Passage, which is the area that goes around the bottom of the continent, is considered the second worst area in the world for rough seas.

We just got back from same trip on the Infinity. Had two really rough days at sea, one day it was really hard to stand upright!! I stayed in the cabin, mostly laying down or reading my book. It's such a great trip I highly recommend it...don't think it really matters what month you choose. We couldn't make it to the Falklands (BIG disappointment) due to high, rough seas..tender couldn't have handled it. Definately get a cabin midship, we were aft and felt a lot more movement than midship.

Been twice around the Horn. Once on Mercury-it was REALLY rough (we loved it). Instructions about hanging onto railings, most of the stairs blocked off, don't wear anything but flat shoes. Theater was closed one night. About 1/2 the ship was sick.

On Infinity, it was rough but not nearly as many people sick. And no particular warnings except be careful walking.

You will have more times with rough water than smooth. How rough is rough depends on how much you can tolerate. We race jet boats, so rough to us means being completely out of the water and hitting hard. But most people must take some kind of preventative to avoid the queasies.

Archived