Roll away bed question - help please

nstr

Hi all. I have been reading the boards awhile and like it here alot ! I am going on our 3rd cruise - 2x with Carnival - this time will be with RCCL on the GOS. On the Carnival cruises we always had oceanviews which were spacious and accomodating. I do spend time in the room - my hubby and son roam the ship and use it to shower and sleep.

Anyway we have an inside cat M with pullman. My question is:

Can I request that they take that tiny couch out and give us a roll away bed instead? My DS will fall out of the pullman and hubby and I are just about the weight limit for it. This is for hubbys 40th and I had to budget the cruise so can't afford upgrade this time around. Thanks for the help :)

He is 11 and a restless sleeper. I have read that some kids have fallen out even with the rail :eek: . I was given an upgrade option for 100.00 to a much higher deck with a few more square feet of space but still only pullmans. I get seasick higher up so need the lower deck midship. I can only hope that if an upgrade fairy doesn't visit us and we can't get a roll away - that DS doesn't fall out of the bed !

I don't know if this possible, but you might consider just pulling the mattress down from the pullman and letting him sleep on the floor. Of course that would leave you with absolutely no floor space but it would satisfy your fears over him falling out of the bed.

Does he fall out of bed at home? Maybe they can give you an additional railing ( not sure on that), have you considered bringing a blowup mattress. Granted it would be an extra piece of luggage but it might be worth it.

I don't know if this possible, but you might consider just pulling the mattress down from the pullman and letting him sleep on the floor. Of course that would leave you with absolutely no floor space but it would satisfy your fears over him falling out of the bed.

I wonder if that mattress would fit inbetween the two beds on the floor. I am not getting the beds pushed together. Cabin is so small to begin with LOL

Never heard of a roll-a-way bed in a cabin, I think it would be a fire hazard anyway! It won't fit. There is barely enough room for 2 let alone 3 people in an inside. My DD started cruising with us when she was 9 (13 now) and has slept up on the pullman every time and has never had a problem. The rail is pretty high, I really doubt he would fall off. I have slept up there once, pretty comfy actually! Maybe you could get a room with a sofa sleeper, Cat D I believe? Good luck and happy cruising :)

What if you request some extra pillows and create kind of a bumper up against the rail? That will make it a lot harder for him to roll out. I can understand why you are nervous, my 17 yr old is a restless sleeper too. We have only booked a sofabed instead of a pullman because I am afraid what will happen to US if he rolls out and falls on us:eek: :D

Does he fall out of bed at home? Maybe they can give you an additional railing ( not sure on that), have you considered bringing a blowup mattress. Granted it would be an extra piece of luggage but it might be worth it.

I read that someone used the ladder as an additional railing. Will def look into that. My blow ups are huge full sizes w/ bottoms unfortunately

What if you request some extra pillows and create kind of a bumper up against the rail? That will make it a lot harder for him to roll out. I can understand why you are nervous, my 17 yr old is a restless sleeper too. We have only booked a sofabed instead of a pullman because I am afraid what will happen to US if he rolls out and falls on us:eek: :D

What catergory is the sofa bed option? This is a Spring Break sailing Tampa to Coz. and Progresso 3/29 to 4/5. I wonder whats left on the ship now. The pillows is a good idea too ! Thanks for all of your replies. Please keep em coming :)

I read that someone used the ladder as an additional railing. Will def look into that. My blow ups are huge full sizes w/ bottoms unfortunately

Buy a cheap twin, you could even do it when you arrive in port if there is enough time. Walmart, target, etc all carry them.

I haven't yet cruised with Royal (three more weeks!) so forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion, but if he's 11, couldn't he sleep in the couch?

The sofa in an inside stateroom is a small loveseat, barely big enough for two people to sit next to each other and not very deep.

I haven't yet cruised with Royal (three more weeks!) so forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion, but if he's 11, couldn't he sleep in the couch?

I think its like a little tiny couch seat where half your butt hangs off when you sit on it LOL. Thats the idea I get from the cabin video tour. This is my first time on Royal too. My kid is built like a line backer. I am hoping some cruisers who have done an Inside Cat M can weigh in on the couch/seat in the cabin. Would be great if he could fit on it ! Otherwise may take Sue up in her suggestion and bring a twin inflatable with me. If we don't use it I can always return it.

I wonder if that mattress would fit inbetween the two beds on the floor. I am not getting the beds pushed together. Cabin is so small to begin with LOL

The last RCC I took with my parents back in 2005 was on the GOS. It was just the 3 of us and I slept up in pullman (I was 20 at the time). My parents had to keep their beds apart in order for me to get up and down without having to step on their bed.

Why don't you put your bed in a queen config. underneath the pullman your son is going to be sleeping in that way if he does roll out he lands on the soft bed instead of the floor?

The last RCC I took with my parents back in 2005 was on the GOS. It was just the 3 of us and I slept up in pullman (I was 20 at the time). My parents had to keep their beds apart in order for me to get up and down without having to step on their bed.

Why don't you put your bed in a queen config. underneath the pullman your son is going to be sleeping in that way if he does roll out he lands on the soft bed instead of the floor?

It would more likely he would fall on TOP of them:eek::eek::D

What catergory is the sofa bed option? This is a Spring Break sailing Tampa to Coz. and Progresso 3/29 to 4/5. I wonder whats left on the ship now. The pillows is a good idea too ! Thanks for all of your replies. Please keep em coming :)

It doesn't look like there are sofabeds until you get up to a D1 balcony which would be a large price increase. Hopefully, he will be so tired from having a great time and will sleep like a log, firmly cemented in place:p

Have a wonderful cruise.:)

I think its like a little tiny couch seat where half your butt hangs off when you sit on it LOL. Thats the idea I get from the cabin video tour. This is my first time on Royal too. My kid is built like a line backer. I am hoping some cruisers who have done an Inside Cat M can weigh in on the couch/seat in the cabin. Would be great if he could fit on it ! Otherwise may take Sue up in her suggestion and bring a twin inflatable with me. If we don't use it I can always return it.

The cheapest ones are in the camping dept not the bedding section.

If it works out with the rails or extra pillows or both I may keep the beds apart. If not I can try your suggestion also except that DH sleep closer to the pullman LOL ! Thanks for all the replies - I feel a little more @ ease knowing we do have options - even in the bargain cabin :o

Archived