Scuba certification on royal

Although the Voyager class ships do offer scuba classes, might I suggest that you take the class work at a local dive shop and then schedule your open water dives while on your trip? This is how I did it a few years ago and recommend going this route. I booked dives with shops in port ahead of time through email / internet.

Although the Voyager class ships do offer scuba classes, might I suggest that you take the class work at a local dive shop and then schedule your open water dives while on your trip? This is how I did it a few years ago and recommend going this route. I booked dives with shops in port ahead of time through email / internet.

I agree with this. What you want to do is a called a Referral. You do the class work and pool dives at home with your local dive shop, then you do the 4 open water dives while on the cruise.

HERE is the RCI web page with the information.

What you do NOT want to do is the PADI Scuba Diver certification because it isn't a full certification. You definitely want to do the PADI Open Water certification.

Thanks for the info, sounds like this would be the best way to go doing some at home, which we have plenty of places to pick form in our salt lake area. What would we expect from our dives from private shops as far as time diving and what not? Thanks again for your opinions and help.

Thanks for the info, sounds like this would be the best way to go doing some at home, which we have plenty of places to pick form in our salt lake area. What would we expect from our dives from private shops as far as time diving and what not? Thanks again for your opinions and help.

To qualify for open water certification it will take you 4 dives. You'll have to do the first two dives at one stop, then the second two dives at the next stop. The dives will probably last between 30 and 45 minutes. It will depend on the dive operator you go with, so that would be one of the questions you'd want to ask when you contact them. Or, you could just go thru the ship and do their dives. You'd have the same instructor for all 4 dives that way and you wouldn't have the work of arranging your own dives. I'd probably go that way.

do they offer refresher courses on board it has been 6 years since i have dove?
Check the link I posted above.

Trying to do it all in a week is a bit too compressed. Diving lessons at home will give you a better pace to really learn, understand, and become one with the concepts. Plus, it is nice to know other local divers to discuss dive travel, for buddies when diving locally, even if there are two of you, several divers in a group is even safer...and someone who know local sites is useful.

Sure hope you enjoy your diving.

Archived