Kauai - Nawiliwili to Waimea Canyon

cruisesusie

We drove there and back, plus stopped for sight-seeing (scenic views and Kauai Coffee Company) in less than 4 hours. Then we drove to Wailua River / Falls for the afternoon.

Kauai was spectacular and we loved having a car to get around and see it. (Bring us with you and we'll be chauffeurs!!!)

We did the same thing GottaLuv did, but we stopped for lunch near the river at a local "joint" and did the Fern Grotto...plus stopping at Walmart and Hilo Hatties in about 5 hours total.

To do it over, we probably wouldve done the Canyon and then skipped the Grotto and gone north to Hanalei (sp)....we still had about 2 hours to spare.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Suebee: would we be pushing it to drive to Waimea Canyon from the pier and get back for a 1PM sailing.....If we left the ship at 8AM?. We are debating doing the MovieTour on the 1st day cause it runs from 8:30AM to about 3PM and Waimea Canyon the second day. Whaddya think? And, as always thanks! Bob

Bob, most certainly doable....Waimea is 1 hour 15 from Lihue. I would suggest that you save any additional stops for the way back though, just in case.

When we went, we didnt drive to the end of the canyon's road....we stopped at the first of the major lookouts. I dont know if the other lookout is any more spectacular...but it was a few more miles up the road and by then we were ready to get out (It is about 25 more minutes up the road)!

The rental company will give you a map...to enter the park, we followed the street signs I belive up 552 but took 550 (waimea canyon drive) back down...and the views were wonderful.

You should have time on the way back to make a stop...

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

It's 30 miles from Lihue to the start of the Waimea Canyon. The length of time depends on how often you wish to stop.

If you go to the canyon, make sure you drive to the extreme north end. The view overlooking the Na Pali costline is absolutley spectactular.

Before going to Hawaii I would definitely recommend you picking up a highway map at AAA or book store. Also read everything you can get your hands on about the islands before you go. That is important.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sun Princess - Feb.7/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;02;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Going as far as the canyon you must go to the Na Pali coastline lookout . . . fabulous!!!!!!!!!

On your way back a stop at "Spouting Horn" is fun . .. can take as little as 10 minutes to 30-45 minutes if you want to check out the locals selling their goods. Great prices on pearls here!

ANother quick stop is in front of the "Beach House" resturant . . . great surfing goes on here & the area is grassed with benches to relax & take in the view.

Enjoy!

Laurie

Archived