June family cruise - Adventure or Freedom?

akcruz

Trying to decide between 2 cruises and looking for some advice. We are a family of 4, DD 17, DS turning 13 when we would be cruising. Looking at sailing mid June on either Freedom Eastern or Adventure Southern – Aruba/Curacao routes. This will be a cruise to celebrate both DD’s high school graduation and DS’s birthday so their enjoyment is high on the list. Both cruises are similarly priced, Adventure slightly less, however the air is about $100 pp more to get to San Juan. Freedom has the flowrider, 2 teen areas with lots of activities for the kids, but only 3 ports one of which is San Juan late in the day so not really sure how much we can do there and if there is anything much for the kids. Adventure has 4 ports plus it sails from San Juan so this is kind of like another port, but doesn’t have as much for the kids and only has the 1 teen area. I have heard that at times the Adventure can have a large number of passengers from Puerto Rico on board. While I do like the diversity and don’t have an issue with this, I have read that on some cruises the teen area can be ‘overtaken’ and if you don’t speak Spanish the kids/teens can feel like outsiders. Both kids love to meet others while on board, is this something I should be concerned with or is this truly not the case? I’ve been looking at some of the more recent reviews and this has not happened, is it more likely during the summer months or any other specific time of the year? DH and I would prefer the Adventure itinerary, but since the kids will be with us on the cruise not sure which way to go. For any who have sailed both, any advice?

The two ships are almost idnetical. The Freedom, for the most part, is a stretched out version of the Adventure. I think your kids will have an awesome time on either ship, but the itinerary on the Adventure blows away Freedom's Eastern itinerary..... Just one guys opinion

Thanks, that's MY issue, DH & I would much prefer the itinerary on the Adventure. We did Mariner last year and both kids loved it, but they had the 2 teen areas (and yes my kids prefer it this way, they see enough of each other at home). I am also concerned about them having enough kids their age they can interract with on Adventure. Anyone been on Adventure in early summer? What is the makeup of cruisers on board?

I think it's going to depend on what is most important to you - ship or itinerary. The Southern Carribean is by far my favorite. I haven't been on the Adventure, but as far as I know it should be pretty much identical to the Mariner. Freedom, of course, has a couple of different things - the flowrider & h20 zone for kids. Judging by the ages of your kids, the h20 zone is probably out. The flowrider was a lot of fun for my kids, but it also has long wait times. If it was my choice I would go with the Adventure doing the southern route. I think your kids will have a great time on either ship. Good luck deciding!:)

We are cruising on the Freedom this summer. We chose ship over itinerary because of our kids ages 12 and 13. We decided we only have a few years left with them so vacations are more geared to family fun than itinerary. We will have many years to travel without them and we plan on doing alot of it. We have been on 15 cruises with and without kids so for now it's about the kids.

What sort of stateroom were you planning on booking?

If you were thinking of an inside room or an outside view, then the room will be similar on either ship. If however, you were thinking about a balcony, you may find that those on the Freedom are a bit nicer, with full plexi walls to the sea and a bit more room in general.

In understand about the lure of the Southern itinerary.

Good luck in choosing and bon voyage~~

Leslie

What sort of stateroom were you planning on booking?

If you were thinking of an inside room or an outside view, then the room will be similar on either ship. If however, you were thinking about a balcony, you may find that those on the Freedom are a bit nicer, with full plexi walls to the sea and a bit more room in general.

In understand about the lure of the Southern itinerary.

Good luck in choosing and bon voyage~~

Leslie

We did a balcony for us and promenade for the kids last year on Mariner. Looking to do something similar this year. That worked very well for us, so yes, the differences in the balcony does also play in. But again, if you are island hopping not as much time on the ship to worry about it. More important with an itinerary such as Freedom.

Still not sure yet, keep flip flopping but need to make a decision before we don't a choice! Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Been on both..IMO Freedom much nicer than AOS..Don't forget Freedom also has the Karoeke video recording booths where kids can make their own music video-pretty cool...and the Flowrider is terrific..cabins,balconies MUCH nicer on Freedom and Freedom has BOTH Chops & Portifinos while AOS has only the latter......we loved the AOS but we also thought the Freedom,especially for youngsters was WAAYYY cooler than the AOS-Just my o.....BTW,we NEVER cruise for the ports of call,rather the ship is MY destination now,UNLESS you want to see a particular place or places ..we've been on 17 cruises,6 Western,6 Eastern,2 Southern,etc...so there aren't too many islands we haven't seen.....

Big Al

Trying to decide between 2 cruises and looking for some advice. We are a family of 4, DD 17, DS turning 13 when we would be cruising. Looking at sailing mid June on either Freedom Eastern or Adventure Southern – Aruba/Curacao routes. This will be a cruise to celebrate both DD’s high school graduation and DS’s birthday so their enjoyment is high on the list. Both cruises are similarly priced, Adventure slightly less, however the air is about $100 pp more to get to San Juan. Freedom has the flowrider, 2 teen areas with lots of activities for the kids, but only 3 ports one of which is San Juan late in the day so not really sure how much we can do there and if there is anything much for the kids. Adventure has 4 ports plus it sails from San Juan so this is kind of like another port, but doesn’t have as much for the kids and only has the 1 teen area. I have heard that at times the Adventure can have a large number of passengers from Puerto Rico on board. While I do like the diversity and don’t have an issue with this, I have read that on some cruises the teen area can be ‘overtaken’ and if you don’t speak Spanish the kids/teens can feel like outsiders. Both kids love to meet others while on board, is this something I should be concerned with or is this truly not the case? I’ve been looking at some of the more recent reviews and this has not happened, is it more likely during the summer months or any other specific time of the year? DH and I would prefer the Adventure itinerary, but since the kids will be with us on the cruise not sure which way to go. For any who have sailed both, any advice?

I was on the Freedom last September, but have never been on the Adventure. With that in mind, I'd suggest the Freedom. The Flowrider is amazing and will definitely have you AND them standing in line to experience it for yourself. If your son is into performing stunts (I started on my second go-round), you'll be able to capture video and pics for YouTube and Facebook.

I didn't see any teens complaining about a lack of things to do.

As for San Juan, I met up with a local and we went on a tour of the island. It wasn't a tourist excursion (we stopped off at a Toyota dealership to buy some truck parts that a friend of mine will use in the upcoming Baja race), so we got to see a lot of Puerto Rico that most tourists don't see.

Oh, get this -- we went to the Bacardi factory FOR FREE. Apparently, all tours are free, whether you are a local or tourist -- the cruise line just charges you $20-$30pp for the tour and $80pp for the tour plus dinner. We went to dinner at Ahili Mojili (have to check spelling in my phone's pics), which is supposed to be a higher standard restaurant; it was nice, but not five star nice.

Everyone I talked to on my cruise said they had the worst time in Puerto Rico. We personally had a great time, but again, we met up with a PR native and did some everyday type things while we were there. I can't remember the name of the fort and park we went to, but that was a great place to take pictures during sunset.

I don't think your children will be disappointed with whichever you choose.

Kids are kids they will make friends and have a great time. We did Freedom on its 4th sailing with our 17yr old son and he had a blast. He had no other teens that he knew going.

We are now doing Adventure, minus DS, as he's in college, and he wanted to know why we didnt book for his spring vacation? LOL. I quess he's not getting the hint!

Carol

Archived