New Passport Cards

Amok

Does anyone have any experience using the brand new passport cards? I called RCCL to ask but they never heard of them. So the person on the phone could not tell me if they were ok instead of the regular passport. Not sailing til June so hopefully they will be OK by then, but can't wait too much longer to get passports.

The cards were just available for the first applications on Feb 1. They are not even going to send them out until spring or summer.

If you do send away for it make sure you have another birth certificate in case it doesn't arrive in time.

It is a great idea to get one but it is not required as of now for Caribbean cruises and only need a birth certificate and driver's license.

If you carefully read the information about the new passport cards you will see that their only legal standing is for reentry into the US. They have no standing in International Law and they do not have to be accepted by any other country. They also cannot be used when flying, their legal status is for ID when returning by land or by sea.

The Canadian government has not made a single statement about if they are going to accept them or not, since it was done entirely without consulting any other country. If you travel frequently over the land border you best bet is still a Nexus or CanPass card. If you miss your flight, it won't get you on to the plane to the next stop to join your cruise. Basically, it's not a real replacement for a passport, just a convenience for getting back into the US, only.

If you carefully read the information about the new passport cards you will see that their only legal standing is for reentry into the US. They have no standing in International Law and they do not have to be accepted by any other country. They also cannot be used when flying, their legal status is for ID when returning by land or by sea.

The Canadian government has not made a single statement about if they are going to accept them or not, since it was done entirely without consulting any other country. If you travel frequently over the land border you best bet is still a Nexus or CanPass card. If you miss your flight, it won't get you on to the plane to the next stop to join your cruise. Basically, it's not a real replacement for a passport, just a convenience for getting back into the US, only.

Wow, they might not be accepted for Canada? My son goes to school very close to the Canadian border and I was planning to get him one to make it easier when they go there.

Wow, they might not be accepted for Canada? My son goes to school very close to the Canadian border and I was planning to get him one to make it easier when they go there.

Canada will still accept Birth Certificate and Photo ID for entry (the Passport card will be accepted as the Photo ID, and probably as Citizenship document too). It is the United States that now requires the Passport for re-entry (and not yet by land or sea)

The Passport Card will not be accepted by Air either. Might as well just get a real passport.

Canada will still accept Birth Certificate and Photo ID for entry (the Passport card will be accepted as the Photo ID, and probably as Citizenship document too). It is the United States that now requires the Passport for re-entry (and not yet by land or sea)

The Passport Card will not be accepted by Air either. Might as well just get a real passport.

He has had a passport since he was born (now almost 20) I just wanted something for him to carry in his wallet which would be easier and more convenient.

He has had a passport since he was born (now almost 20) I just wanted something for him to carry in his wallet which would be easier and more convenient.

If I am reading correctly he is walking or driving across the border? Has he actually had to prove citizenship to Canada?

It has been a while since NotSoDeareXFiance and I crossed the border a few times, she was from up there I from Texas... and we only had to state citizenship...and do a fair bit of explaining to the US Border agent who couldn't believe we were together I guess. We almost got the car searched which would have been a laugh because all we did was take a shortcut thru a state to another area in the same provence.

DW and I were at Niagra and they let her just state she was Texas (er USA citizen) and I flashed the border agents, my passport that is. DW forgot hers at her house...we were at the airport and didn't have enough time to go back to get it.

Now when flying to go see NSDXF (c above) I always used my passport to zip thru the airport.

Now my new passport issued a few weeks ago...there are Longhorns in a stampeed on one of the main pages used for visas...I get it at least twice since I have extra pages sewn into the passport. I discovered those pictures yesterday as I did my check in for NOS. :)

Well, when the US government doesn't consult (in fact refuses to consult) the Canadian government you end up with problems. I guess it will depend on if the Canadian government is given access to the RFID chip information and who will pay for the RFID chip readers and their implementation. Bust legally speaking at the moment the only thing the US government can guarantee is that they will speed reentry to the US.

Luckily my province issues wallet sized birth certificates. I keep it next to my driver's licence and it's all the ID I need when going through a land crossing.

If I am reading correctly he is walking or driving across the border? Has he actually had to prove citizenship to Canada?....

Legally, they could always demand it. But there was a time where we imagined we had good and honest neighbours and didn't. Today I get asked when I return to Canada, each time I cross.

If I am reading correctly he is walking or driving across the border? Has he actually had to prove citizenship to Canada?

It has been a while since NotSoDeareXFiance and I crossed the border a few times, she was from up there I from Texas... and we only had to state citizenship...and do a fair bit of explaining to the US Border agent who couldn't believe we were together I guess. We almost got the car searched which would have been a laugh because all we did was take a shortcut thru a state to another area in the same provence.

DW and I were at Niagra and they let her just state she was Texas (er USA citizen) and I flashed the border agents, my passport that is. DW forgot hers at her house...we were at the airport and didn't have enough time to go back to get it.

Now when flying to go see NSDXF (c above) I always used my passport to zip thru the airport.

Yes they drive across as they are 45 minutes from the border. I honestly don't know who requires the documentation (US or Canada) but he brings his birth certificate now because he hates the passport in his pocket and the BC folds into his wallet and it is a copy (have a bunch more) so if it is lost it is not the end of the world. That is why the passcard would be wonderful because it is the size of a credit card and would just fit in the wallet. It would only be 20$ since he has the real passport and it is strictly a convenience for us.

Yes they drive across as they are 45 minutes from the border. I honestly don't know who requires the documentation (US or Canada) but he brings his birth certificate now because he hates the passport in his pocket and the BC folds into his wallet and it is a copy (have a bunch more) so if it is lost it is not the end of the world. That is why the passcard would be wonderful because it is the size of a credit card and would just fit in the wallet. It would only be 20$ since he has the real passport and it is strictly a convenience for us.

We pay $10 for a birth certificate, so $20 isn't so bad. But I would call Canadian Border Services and ask if they are going to accept them as ID and proof of citizenship because they just have no legal standing in International Law.

If he does cross often, then Nexus is a better bet. It's $50 for 5 years and in some cases there is an unmanned lane to pass through. It does require an in person interview to verify documentation. All you need after that is your Nexus card to cross.

Just an FYI on these, I actually called the State Department the other day because I'd seen so many different dates as to when they might ship out..they're taking pre-orders now (effective Feb 1st), but they are not quoting a date to start processing them, the state dept admitted they'd also heard as far out as this fall.

Archived