What do you want to know about Balmoral?

Hi, BigTed. Will get back to you with specifics re smoking. I know it's prohibited in cabins and dining rooms but seems to run rampant everywhere else....

Yes, there are self serve facilities like Black Watch. Coffee and tea are always available, at least during the day, and I like that cabins all have their own hot pots to make your tea and coffee as you please.

Now what I miss is the chance to get a Diet Coke at breakfast! Unusually (for me, anyway) bars don't open until 11 a.m. or later! I'm used to ships where there's always one bar open at 7 a.m. or so. And without a bar open, can't get my sodas. Wished I'd brought 'em onboard....

CSB

PS Someone asked earlier about soda cards. Well, I asked. And the bartender looked at me as if I had 12 heads. Had to repeat myself six times before he had a glimmer of what I wanted. So I'd hazard a guess that no, they're not available....

Would be interested to know which areas are smoke free and which are shared with part for smokers and part for non smokers.

Would also be interested in facilities for Tea/Coffee during the day. Is there a self service area like that on Black Watch.

So far, the shore excursions operation on Balmoral has been one of the low points. Tours are frequently booked. They're too limited in number and variety for a ship of 1,300 passengers. The staff members I've come across aren't terribly pleasant or informative (they rank right up there with the not-so-helpful pursers' staff).

For instance, the first tour I tried to book (you can't book online so have to do so onboard) on our first day was already full. Already! No others appealed (and as I heard from other passengers, most of them were booked too). In the end, it didn't matter because we ended up canceling our call at that port (Samanna, Dominican Republic).

Second tour I wanted to book -- a catamaran cruise in St. Barth's that was listed in the voluminous book we got with our cruise documents -- inexplicably wasn't being offered. No explanation, no apology, no nothing from the girls behind the desk. So I booked another tour, a fast boat ride around the island. Okay, fine....

Then the itinerary changes and my tour is slated for 1:30 p.m. when we're leaving St. Barths at 2 p.m. Obviously has been rescheduled, right? But no information whatsoever has been delivered to cabins. Poor communication....

So I go to ask and am rudely asked if I have read my messages on the interactive television. Well now that you mention it, I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS SUPPOSED TO! Were passengers given instruction on this? I didn't hear it if so.

Again, and this is a sticking point with me always, a good attitude and positive customer relations goes oh so long a way.

It's perhaps understandable that Fred. Olsen's having challenges with tours on this ship because it's the biggest in its fleet by a fairly significant margin. So the lack of tour availability, while annoying and rather bad management, happens...it happens everywhere. Just would be nice if while it's happening the staff could at least be pleasant about it.

Re selection, it's pretty much same old with a few nice twists (like the fast boat ride around St. Barths -- that one surprised me because it's really a youngster's kind of tour!).

You can book the tours through the interactive television by the way and I did use that to book the St. Barths tour and it worked flawlessly.

CSB

Hi Carolyn! I was just wondering about the excursions they'll be offering from the Balmoral once you start hitting some of the ports on your Caribbean itininerary. Does it seem like the roster of available activities will be the "same old, same old" for these Caribbean islands? Or is Fred. Olsen putting a more British spin on them and tailoring them for a European passenger base? Can we expect anything at all different from sailing the Caribbean on Fred. Olsen or will our experience in port be the same as it would on any U.S. line?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks for promising to get back re smoking. Normally Neptune is smoke free, Lido and observatory half smoking half not ( but smoke drifts). Interested to know situation in Morning Light pub and other lounge areas.

Re soda card, we have travelled with Fred Olsen on a number of occasions and they do not do any form of drinks package.

Don't know if this is of any help to anyone (other than me lol) but this is a copy of an email I sent to FO:

I have a reservation on Black Watch for August and have a few questions that you could possibly answer:

Will the ship be leaving from the QEII berth at Southampton or elsewhere? 15th August

Does Fred.Olsen offer 'soda cards' for purchase in the way other cruise lines do? If so, how much do they cost?

Can I sign up for auto-tipping or is that not possible on Black Watch?

Is there a lower age limit for leaving children on board ship without a parent during port days? - my daughter will be 14 and doesn't 'fancy' all of the excursions.

Thank you in advance

And their prompt reply:

Good Morning,

Thankyou for your below email. At this moment in time we still have not details as to which terminal the Black Watch will be docking at in Southampton. The finalised details of this will be on you embarkation leaflet. This will be in your ticket pack, sent 2-3 weeks before your cruise.

Onboard we do not have soda cards to purchase. We do have an onboard account system. Everything you purchase will be charged on to your onboard account. This is then settled at the end of the cruise.

Unfortunately we do not offer the auto-tipping service onboard out cruise ships. However as a general rule, £2 per person, per day for your cabin stewardess, and restaurant waiter is always appreciated.

On port days the age limit for leaving children onboard without parental guidance is 16.

I hope the above is ok for you,

Yours Faithfully

Kai Algar

Administration Assistant

Fred Olsen Cruise Lines

Didn't really tell me anything that I didn't already suspect iykwim but at least I have the official answers.:D

Don't know if this is of any help to anyone (other than me lol) but this is a copy of an email I sent to FO:

I have a reservation on Black Watch for August and have a few questions that you could possibly answer:

Will the ship be leaving from the QEII berth at Southampton or elsewhere? 15th August

Does Fred.Olsen offer 'soda cards' for purchase in the way other cruise lines do? If so, how much do they cost?

Can I sign up for auto-tipping or is that not possible on Black Watch?

Is there a lower age limit for leaving children on board ship without a parent during port days? - my daughter will be 14 and doesn't 'fancy' all of the excursions.

Thank you in advance

And their prompt reply:

Good Morning,

Thankyou for your below email. At this moment in time we still have not details as to which terminal the Black Watch will be docking at in Southampton. The finalised details of this will be on you embarkation leaflet. This will be in your ticket pack, sent 2-3 weeks before your cruise.

Onboard we do not have soda cards to purchase. We do have an onboard account system. Everything you purchase will be charged on to your onboard account. This is then settled at the end of the cruise.

Unfortunately we do not offer the auto-tipping service onboard out cruise ships. However as a general rule, £2 per person, per day for your cabin stewardess, and restaurant waiter is always appreciated.

On port days the age limit for leaving children onboard without parental guidance is 16.

I hope the above is ok for you,

Yours Faithfully

Kai Algar

Administration Assistant

Fred Olsen Cruise Lines

Didn't really tell me anything that I didn't already suspect iykwim but at least I have the official answers.:D

Hey, Have a look at www.southamptonvts.co.uk under the leisure section is the full cruise ship schedule for 2008. 105/106 is the mayflower cruise terminal that P&O mainly use, 38/9 is the QE2 terminal and 101 is the City Cruise terminal right beside Mayflower Park.

Hope this helps

Ian

Carolyn, in response to your question about crusing British-style, the answer is YES. Like you, my favorite place in the whole world is London. The Balmoral sounds good, except for the few glitches you've mentioned and the pervasive cigarette smoke.

How are the ladies dressing for formal night?

Mrs Muir (glazed-eyed Anglophile)

Just checked, you are on 38/9, the QE2 Terminal

Ian :D

Yeah that's where I got my info from - I was just hoping that they would confirm it :D Just have to wait I suppose - I don't wait very well though:D

Actually, I wanted to book parking - do you know if I still do it with c and p (or whatever they're called lol) and does it matter if they change the departure terminal later on.

Thanks

We will be on board 13 march can you say whether we should bring powdered milk for the cabin as my hubby is a "tea pot"alsowhat is the price of say a bacardi and coke or a brandy?. Thanks for the tip regarding hairdrier. Are there plenty of sunbeds when the ship is at sea?

Hi, BigTed. Will get back to you with specifics re smoking. I know it's prohibited in cabins and dining rooms but seems to run rampant everywhere else....

Yes, there are self serve facilities like Black Watch. Coffee and tea are always available, at least during the day, and I like that cabins all have their own hot pots to make your tea and coffee as you please.

Now what I miss is the chance to get a Diet Coke at breakfast! Unusually (for me, anyway) bars don't open until 11 a.m. or later! I'm used to ships where there's always one bar open at 7 a.m. or so. And without a bar open, can't get my sodas. Wished I'd brought 'em onboard....

CSB

PS Someone asked earlier about soda cards. Well, I asked. And the bartender looked at me as if I had 12 heads. Had to repeat myself six times before he had a glimmer of what I wanted. So I'd hazard a guess that no, they're not available....

Hi,

We are a couple of Floridians who are booked on the March 13th cruise. We did so because the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra is performing and we experienced the delight of dancing our way through a cruise on another ship. Now that you've been at sea for a few days, how would you compare it to an American based ship?

We've been told that the cabin is made up in late afternoon instead of the morning. That towels are sparse and flimsey. Is the main dining room available for all meals, or do we have to endure cafeteria style dining for some of the meals?

What is the mode of dress in the evening? Are the ship's personnel atuned to the passengers expectations or do they ignore the basic premise of a pleasant association with their customers?

These and other questions will determine if Fred Olsen can compete in the American marketplace.

Awaiting your reply.---Thank you

As a seasoned Cunarder, I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise on the Balmoral. My cabin was always made up while I was at breakfast - I did put the sign on the door.

Most people dressed smartly even when it was casual. I believe someone was sent to get a tie one day.

The dining room is available for all meals. You can choose between self-service or waiter service other than at dinner. The china used in the restaurants is specially designed Wedgewood. There are tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin and, I was most impressed when I had cabin breakfast as my tea came in a tea pot and they had even taken the tea bag out. On the Queen Victoria, it was a jug of hot water and a tea bag!

The worst part was trying to get out of Miami airport! We queued for two hours and then the authorities delayed the flight for four hours.

I was very impressed with the smartness of the staff particularly the girls who wore long skirts on formal evenings.

We actually spent the last two nights in a hotel. I was in the Miami Hilton at Fred Olsen's expense with 200 dollars to spend for food, two days money returned and 20 per cent off another cruise for the inconvenience.

i think that when the QE2 goes, I shall probably choose Balmoral as she will have all the single cabins. I had a great time.

Maureen

Hi, planning massive sessions in answering questions and posting impressions today and tomorrow...so do keep checking back. And beginning Monday we'll be posting photos in the thread, so come back then, too!

I was thinking about some of the differences onboard (American vs. Brit ships) and there are plenty of similarities. I feel right at home. But the differences:

*No bingo, no art auctions (but superb art collection that I'll address later).

*Loads of places to sit undisturbed without having to buy a drink. That's a major difference; the line doesn't seem to be looking under the coach cushions for ways to increase onboard revenue. It's more relaxed.

*Magnificent library (though could have more books, expected more books) but the library, along with a capacious games room, is nicer and larger than you'd expect.

*More restrictive dining. Though there are three dining venues, all serve the same menu and all are set seating at dinner. The only option for a change is the Palms which is the buffet venue. And there's no casual lunchtime grill. They're trying to make an effort re importing some US foodstuffs (iced tea, pancakes and waffles, for instance) and are offering burgers and fries on the buffet steamtable...but er, not the same thing.

*Very interesting menus that blend adventurous, regionally-focused food (some fantastic Caribbean dishes so far and will provide more details later) but also some hearty, down home stuff. Last night for dinner, for instance, spaghetti bolognaise was on the menu (and it was perfect).

*Only the cabins in the new section (standards, not talking about suites) have beds that can convert from twins to queens. In the older parts of the ship, though cabins have been refurbished (and are quite comfortable), you can't move the beds.

More later.

CSB

Hi,

We are a couple of Floridians who are booked on the March 13th cruise. We did so because the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra is performing and we experienced the delight of dancing our way through a cruise on another ship. Now that you've been at sea for a few days, how would you compare it to an American based ship?

We've been told that the cabin is made up in late afternoon instead of the morning. That towels are sparse and flimsey. Is the main dining room available for all meals, or do we have to endure cafeteria style dining for some of the meals?

What is the mode of dress in the evening? Are the ship's personnel atuned to the passengers expectations or do they ignore the basic premise of a pleasant association with their customers?

These and other questions will determine if Fred Olsen can compete in the American marketplace.

Awaiting your reply.---Thank you

We sailed on the final sailing of the Norwegian Crown and loved the ship. Somewhere along the line we would love to see pictures posted so that we could see how the ship has changed. Wanted to sail on her as the Balmoral but it doesn't look like that will work out. Have fun.

Hoping you have! If the blog is not featured on the home page (it is intermittently on the U.S. site, and is residing through Tuesday in the reviews page spot on the U.K. site) just click on Community, then Cruise Lines A - O, then Fred. Olsen!

I'm taking photos so will have some for you Monday....

CSB

Having cruised on the Royal Odyssey in 1995, I'd love to see what it looks like now. Please post lots of photos.

How do we in the U.S. see the virtual cruise if it's on the UK site? Will there be a link on the U.S. home page too?

Thanks.

Hi, would love to see YOUR photos, LOL, to see how she has changed.

I think the ship is beautiful. Can say what's not terribly different and that's the lobby area. The Neptune and Lido got freshened up but are still pretty much the same. Ditto for the aft pool on deck 7. But the mid-section -- WOW! It isn't any nicer on Seabourn or Regent Seven Seas. It's beautiful....

CSB

We sailed on the final sailing of the Norwegian Crown and loved the ship. Somewhere along the line we would love to see pictures posted so that we could see how the ship has changed. Wanted to sail on her as the Balmoral but it doesn't look like that will work out. Have fun.

Americruser asked some good questions, so I'll keep going!

Re towels and sheets. All good quality but the towels, including a separate set for pool use, are definitely too small. If you like bath sheets, well, these aren't them. Also an oddity: cruise documents tell you to bring your own beach towels as the ship doesn't want you to take pool towels off. Heads up on that as the pool towels are too small to be any use on the beach anyway.

The service is good and getting better all the time as the crew gets used to each other. After the first day, a bit rocky, it got really nice, with crew making an effort to remember your name. Sometimes at dinner it seems like the waitstaff is short on a few people but pleasant and helpful and sweet. As good as I've seen anywhere and better than a lot of bigger ship cruises.

CSB

Hi, planning massive sessions in answering questions and posting impressions today and tomorrow...so do keep checking back. And beginning Monday we'll be posting photos in the thread, so come back then, too!

I was thinking about some of the differences onboard (American vs. Brit ships) and there are plenty of similarities. I feel right at home. But the differences:

*No bingo, no art auctions (but superb art collection that I'll address later).

*Loads of places to sit undisturbed without having to buy a drink. That's a major difference; the line doesn't seem to be looking under the coach cushions for ways to increase onboard revenue. It's more relaxed.

*Magnificent library (though could have more books, expected more books) but the library, along with a capacious games room, is nicer and larger than you'd expect.

*More restrictive dining. Though there are three dining venues, all serve the same menu and all are set seating at dinner. The only option for a change is the Palms which is the buffet venue. And there's no casual lunchtime grill. They're trying to make an effort re importing some US foodstuffs (iced tea, pancakes and waffles, for instance) and are offering burgers and fries on the buffet steamtable...but er, not the same thing.

*Very interesting menus that blend adventurous, regionally-focused food (some fantastic Caribbean dishes so far and will provide more details later) but also some hearty, down home stuff. Last night for dinner, for instance, spaghetti bolognaise was on the menu (and it was perfect).

*Only the cabins in the new section (standards, not talking about suites) have beds that can convert from twins to queens. In the older parts of the ship, though cabins have been refurbished (and are quite comfortable), you can't move the beds.

More later.

CSB

Hi, Maureen, thanks for checking in. I'll second the fact that cabin service takes place in the morning (sometimes stretching past lunch) but no big deal there. And yes, people tend to dress smartly but in a low key way. Did see one man in a kilt at formal dinner. That was nice.

Cabins are full and so only spying I can do is to skulk around hallways during housekeeping times :) but I did get a tour of a colleague's single cabin. It was 8061, had one twin bed (they removed the other to give you more room) and a darling small balcony. Bathroom with a mini-tub! Charming.

CSB

quote=EMSOMICH;13684015]As a seasoned Cunarder, I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise on the Balmoral. My cabin was always made up while I was at breakfast - I did put the sign on the door.

Most people dressed smartly even when it was casual. I believe someone was sent to get a tie one day.

The dining room is available for all meals. You can choose between self-service or waiter service other than at dinner. The china used in the restaurants is specially designed Wedgewood. There are tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin and, I was most impressed when I had cabin breakfast as my tea came in a tea pot and they had even taken the tea bag out. On the Queen Victoria, it was a jug of hot water and a tea bag!

The worst part was trying to get out of Miami airport! We queued for two hours and then the authorities delayed the flight for four hours.

I was very impressed with the smartness of the staff particularly the girls who wore long skirts on formal evenings.

We actually spent the last two nights in a hotel. I was in the Miami Hilton at Fred Olsen's expense with 200 dollars to spend for food, two days money returned and 20 per cent off another cruise for the inconvenience.

i think that when the QE2 goes, I shall probably choose Balmoral as she will have all the single cabins. I had a great time.

Maureen

Hiya

Great to read all about it before we go and I'm really looking forward to seeing the photographs when they come online!

I'm horrified at the prospect of taking 3.5 hours to get through immigration at Miami though - especially after a 10 hour flight from Stansted in cattle class (we were told we could upgrade our seats to something like Premier Gold when we booked, only to find that this option would not be available months later...)

I'll be doing my packing this weekend and have a few questions....

Q.

Maureen (I think) mentioned something about a gentleman being sent to get a tie before he was allowed into the dining room? :eek: Now, although my husband likes to dress up for the Formal Night on other nights he prefers to wear short sleeved shirts, no tie and smart trousers and most certainly no jacket! Is he going to have a problem getting into the dinning room? :confused:

Q.

Did I see mention of acupuncture being offered in the spa? Could you tell me who much this costs?

Q.

I asked previously about the cost of drinks - sorry if you've already answered and I've missed it somehow. Could you tell me the cost of pints of lager and bitter as well as G&T - and Southern Comfort if its available.

Your reports are excellent! Keep up the good work!

Netty

Sailing 13th March - Bridge Deck - Cabin 9092

Hi Carolyn

Fantastic feedback from you, looking forward to the pics on Monday. I feel happier about travelling by myself in the knowledge that there are several solo travellers on board, but not looking forward to possible delays at Miami airport. Great info re hairdryer and towels...I wasnt going to pack them but I think I will now...cheers, keep up the good work. :)

Hiya - eagerly awaiting more updates! :)

And in the meanwhile - just one more question...

Q.

I'm going to have some false nails done before I travel (you know the sort that they somehow bond to your own nails and are supposed to last for weeks and weeks....) as my own nails just arent up to the job despite my best efforts! :( What are the nail care facilities like onboard? If I break one of them off will I be able to get it repaired?

Many thanks for doing such a great job with all the helpful information!

Netty

Sailing 13th March - Bridge Deck cabin 9092?

Yeah that's where I got my info from - I was just hoping that they would confirm it :D Just have to wait I suppose - I don't wait very well though:D

Actually, I wanted to book parking - do you know if I still do it with c and p (or whatever they're called lol) and does it matter if they change the departure terminal later on.

Thanks

I would go ahead and book it. It's pretty rare they change the terminal to be honest. Every time I have sailed from Southampton it has been as posted on VTS

Ian :D

I drink mostly water, so would like know about the quality of the tap water for coffee and drinking. Is the water desalinated? It would be impossible to bring bottled water on board to satisfy my needs. I need to restrict salt intake.

What about wine. Is it allowed to bring any wine aboard? Can a bottle be purchased for dinner and saved for the next if not finished?

Where is smoking allowed? I wish to avoid as much as possible since it affects me.

Hi Netty,

The acupuncture is about £87 a time. I used my on board credit! however, ther is no service charge added.

On casual nights men do not have to wear a tie or jacket.

The trip home took 8 and a half hours to Stansted. We had two meals and a free short drink (e.g. Whisky) and wine with the first meal. The food on Monarch was better than BA. I think you get the same if you fly Thomson.

I don't know the price of drinks except that the Merlot I had at dinner was about £13 a bottle - again with no service charge.

The sauna was not fitted for the first cruise but irt may be now as there were a lot of wortkmen on board!

Someone said there was no Bingo but I am sure I saw it in at least one daily programme. As it sends me to sleep, I never bother with it.

There are quite a few sunbeds but people are inclined to put towels on them early. Be careful if you sunbathe by the engine room as you may get black spots. That area is quieter but it is also the smoking area.

Don't miss the Balmoral singers and dancers and the crew show.

I am booked on the QE2 from New York to Southampton in April but I would love to cruise on Balmoral again. Have a great cruise.

Someone mentioned bringing powdered milk - you are supplied with long life milk in the small pots (not powdered) in the cabins and you can always ask for more.

Maureen

Archived