Amount of time on Glacier?

poohs4me

I have tried the search function to get this information, but I have been unsuccessful. I also have posted this on the Wedding and Honeymoon's forum, but no luck there either. I am pretty sure someone in this forum will know the answer and I apologize if it is a repeated question.

We are looking at getting married in early September on a glacier in Juneau. I have never been on a glacier and this seemed like a neat idea; however, how much time do I want out there. The ceremony will be short 10 minutes and we have looked at doing a champagne toast and getting some pictures. The initial package only allows for 20 minutes of glacier time, including ceremony. I would actually like to see the glacier not just run in and out. So how much time do you guys think is the right amount of time on the glacier? I do not want to be frozen, but want time to experience the wonder of it. Any ideas?

Congratulations on your future wedding! A ceremony on a glacier sounds very romantic...and very cold! When the helicopters land on glaciers, they're usually there only 20 minutes or so. Whatever you decide, have a Plan B just in case you can't fly to the glacier.

Thank You!!! I should have mentioned that their are upgrades to the glacier time such that we could have as much as 110 minutes on the glacier, which I am thinking is TOO long.

I will also look into alternate locations in case we cannot fly (or land) that day.

110 minutes is a long time...it is cold! Also it can be rainy and cold. As another poster mentioned, most helicopters will land for about 20-25 minutes...When I went, there were 6 helicopters that dropped us off at the same time and left.....they returned about 25 minutes later with the next group and we were taken back on those...it's a very well organized trip. I loved the glacier, but I'm ot sure if I would get married on one....

IMO, you want as much time as you can get, and 110 min is not too long at all. Time will go very quickly, and you of course do not get around as fast on a glacier as you would on land. Plus, how often are you on a glacier? :D

Make sure that whatever you choose, you know what time is actually spent on the glacier v. travel time, prep time, etc.

Now you can see why I am torn. I really do not want to be up there going "ok, helicopter you can come back now", but I also don't want to go "did I even see the glacier". I am leaning towards about 45 minutes total.

Thanks you for your responses.

Now you can see why I am torn. I really do not want to be up there going "ok, helicopter you can come back now", but I also don't want to go "did I even see the glacier". I am leaning towards about 45 minutes total.

Thanks you for your responses.

Just my 2 cents, but I couldn't disagree more about 110 minutes being too long, unless you will not be hiking. If you are just going up there to say you've been on a glacier, look around a bit and then come back, then I guess 45 min is sufficient, but to me, I can't imagine flying to and landing on a glacier and then not hiking around a bit. :)

I'm assuming lvtotrvl1 must have been on a ship sponsored tour? And I'm not into hiking as much as GMoney. When we were there (with Coastal) there were a total of 6 of us so it was like we had that whole glacier to ourselves!! 20 minutes was just right for me (and we were in light jackets mid August), but with a wedding, I would want to allow that much time above and beyond the time of the wedding. I agree with your 45 minutes! ;) JMO

Archived