SAN DIEGO embarkation

patnfrank

There are many threads about long lines at SD but mine stretches to Ensenada! We are booked on the Carnival Spirit to Hawaii on April 20, 2008. The ship returns from a Mexican cruise at 8 AM, unloads and then sails EMPTY to Ensenada. In the meantime, we are directed to check-in at the SD pier that afternoon & then be bused to Ensenada to catch the ship for a 9 PM departure. I miss the logic unless someone at Carnival also owns the bus company. I have asked my agent at Vacations To Go if an arrangement can be made to board before the ship leaves SD. She is unable to comprehend my concern and can only suggest rebooking with another cruise line. Unfortunately, this is the only cruise which will encompass our aniversary and also allow us an extra vacation in Hawaii after debarkation. It is common for ships to or from Hawaii and Los Angeles or SD to stop at Ensenada to comply with The Jones Act. The Holland America Zaandam April 3 and Princess Diamond April 1 sailings are just 2 examples and differ only by being round trips. Does anyone know why Carnival is different?

It's because of the PVSA (often called the Jones act, but that's actually for cargo). And being round-trip or not is HUGE in the eyes of the law. Your trip is not a RT from San Diego; if you got on in San Diego and off in Hawaii you would be transported between two different US ports and that's a violation of the PVSA. If your final stop is in Hawaii they have to either start in Hawaii or put you on the ship in a foreign port. Since they end in San Diego on the last cruise the closest to is Ensenada.

Nicely said. :) We are on that April 3rd sailing RT from San Diego. I know Celebrity also busses passengers down to Ensenada.

Personally, I would take the ship's bus down there. It's almost impossible to return a rental car there, and if you're not familiar with the area, not quite so safe.

We don't like to do that, so we take the RT from San Diego.

Pat

Archived