Taking wine onboard

naples queen

Official policy from Celebrity web site:

"No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom , but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00."

Wanted to post a correction to avoid any misunderstanding: The Celebrity rules (see below) do not mention a size limit to the two bottles of wine you may bring onboard. Someone on this post said 750ml (standard sized wine bottle) but there is no size limit. We have purchased two 1.5 litre bottles for the trip and we plan on bringing the brochure with us just in case someone questions it.

If the cruise line means 750ml per bottle than they need to say that. If someone has experience where they enforced a 750ml limit, please let us know.

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. If a guest receives a bottle of wine (in their stateroom) from a family member of friend, and that bottle(s) was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, then no corkage fee will apply if they wish to consume the bottle in the dining room or any public area. If a guest receives a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25.00 corkage fee per bottle will apply if they wish to consume the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account. Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

You can put the wine in your checked bags or carry on. We read on CC that others took a box of wine. No extra weight from the bottle and less chance of breakage. Still put the box in our checked bags in a big ziploc. So nice to have a glass of wine on our private balcony at sunset.

We brought wine aboard in our checked luggage. We brought 5 bottles of our favorite wine because several of these wines come from small wineries that don't distribute their products.

There was no problem getting the wine aboard nor any problem consuming it in our cabin. Celebrity does list a $25 corkage fee for wine brought aboard and they do charge this fee most of the time (all of the time?).

We had to change cabins on our recent cruise because of a fire in our original cabin. We relocated to the new cabin and then headed to the aft bar to watch the sun go down. Our new cabin did not have a cork screw in it and we couldn't find the one we brought aboard with us consequently we headed to the aft bar with an unopened bottle of our wine.

The bartender was in the process of uncorking our wine sans corkage fee when the bar manager happened to walk out. The bar manager stopped him and told us they would have to charge the $25 corkage fee. We had hung out at this bar during most of the cruise and we had tipped the bartenders extra. I think because of this the bartender was trying to do us a favor.

There was a happy ending to my story. I stopped at the Cova Cafe (where we had also spent a lot of time and tipped well) to pick up a couple of snacks. The lady there noticed the wine and offered to open it for me which she did at no charge.

We did watch a magnificent sunset while sharing and enjoying our wine. Our new cabin attendant did bring us a corkscrew that evening after I requested one. So all's well that ends well.

Dogs trained to sniff out Jack Daniels!;)

The only time it's an issue is if they should happen to search your luggage or carry ons. Don't know that they do this, but I believe they reserve the right to. The savings to me by bringing hard liquor is minimal versus both the hassle of getting it to the ship and the fact that I enjoy the socializing as much as the drink.

You'll find me in the Martini Bar most nights, and I'll know you by the smell of spilled booze on your clothes!:D

On our first cruise on =X= in 2005, we brought a lot of wine to share at dinner, and a case of bottled water and some juice boxes of OJ.

I spoke with =X= a few weeks ago, and I was told that we could bring two bottles of wine, NO bottled water, and NO juice boxes of OJ.

:(

But we did invest in a Rum Runner flask cruise kit, so I'll make use of that one way or another. :p

No water???? :eek: Surely they are not restricting bringing bottled water aboard. I normally carry a case on when we cruise, and plan to do so on the Millenium in three weeks. If there is something in the regulations about water, please tell me where to find it. I'm afraid if they are going to forbid bringing water aboard I will need to find a new cruise line. Unbelievable!

Thanks!

I couldn't find anything written about that, but that's what they told me. When I asked WHY they said, "because we sell water." Well, they sell wine too... I didn't get a response to that. I understand they don't make the rules, they just have to tell us the rules.

Now whether or not they enforce the rules.... I've heard of people taking on 5 bottles of wine, and others having their wine taken away. People have said they bring on wine and water at the different ports, so I'll be doing all of that, too.

Please report back when you get off the Millie and let us know if you were successful bringing on your case of water.

As long as you're discreet you can get around their rule.We have carried on two bottles apiece and not been questioned.This has been addressed many times on these boards.Celebritys rules are set so that they can control over comsumption by their guests.Would you really like to be next door to people who had consumed too much?Would you like to be in control of that either?Just be discreet and order drinks on board and you won't have a problem.:) Kathy

Celebritys rules are set so that they can control over comsumption by their guests.

This is a revenue protection rule pure and simple. Corporations, like people, don't always say what mean or mean what they say. Celebrity may say that this rule is there to protect you from drunken passengers but the real reason is to force passengers to buy more things to drink from the cruise line.

Proof of the pudding? We have made several cruises on Princess as well as HAL. On these lines passengers are prohibited from bringing hard liquor aboard with them but there was no restriction on wine, beer and champagne. On none of these cruises did we see an overabundance of drunken passengers due to the wine they brought aboard.

Bear in mind that alcoholic beverages are THE most profitable part of most food service or hospitality operations. Celebrity is a for profit entity consequently they're going to do everything that they can to maximize profits. I don't think that this is necessarily bad but let's be realistic about why they have these restrictions limiting the amount of alcohol that each passenger can bring aboard.

It's all about the bottom line, and I get it! Everyone wants their bottom line to shine. I really don't think it's the wine drinkers who get so sloshed they can't function, it's the heavy alcohol drinkers who don't say NO to another frozen thingee or a slug of whiskey.

We used to bring a lot of wine on board with us, labeled with our name and cabin number, and bring it to the dining room. We would request a bottle every night, and would share it with our table mates. But now that the corkage fee is a :eek:ing $25 per bottle, it's almost cheaper to buy their wine.

However, I do still want to have some nice port in my cabin, to enjoy late at night, on my veranda. Sailing on Celebrity is a luxury for us, we save all year for it, and we want to make the most of the experience. This is one of the enhancements we enjoy.

Globug, As I stated earlier we did bring wine onboard, as it is allowed. In fact, there were 2 wine glasses in the desk cabinet, which were replaced by the cabin steward each night.

We always bring juice, a 6 pk of caffine free diet coke (they don't have it on the ship and a few waters, our entire group of 14 do every trip. We have never had a problem and usually we store it in our carry-on. I even bought a bottle of grapefruit juice and more cokes on St. Maarten and it went through the security screening fine. I don't think you will have a problem. Laurie

We sailed on RCCL this past summer and were told no water, soda, or wine could be brought on board as they sold these items. I too like to enjoy a glass of wine in my cabin as I ready for the evening and like wine they do not offer on board so I was disappointed. I figured the wine issue was a result of the Honeymooner's lawsuit so I accepted it and like always went by their rules. Once on board I saw all kinds of cases of water and soda being delivered to staterooms and then there was the wine. I went to the Pursers Desk to find out the truth and they had never heard of any of it being restricted. Plus since we had a small suite our bags were delivered with us and no one even looked twice at us. Next time I am going to take what I want and chance it!

Barry they don't .We took 2 bottles of coconut rum instead of the wine Last week on Galaxy. They had only 2 types 1 white & one Red in the store The server said it was poor quality & sugested we get the liquers instead .I replied it's not allowed He said we wrap them in black bags then in the store bag .The TV only sees 2 bottles.This was in the port duty free shop.We never had a problem any time if it was in your carry on .those who carried it on in their hands in the liquer shops bag had it taken from them ,forms filled out & left on a table for all to see .even at Ports of call we bought local booze & it was never taken from us if in the carry on bag. That was the difference. I know my bag turned the light on the machine from green to red I waited but nobody came to inspect it so I picked it up & carried on.

Barry they don't .We took 2 bottles of coconut rum instead of the wine Last week on Galaxy. They had only 2 types 1 white & one Red in the store The server said it was poor quality & sugested we get the liquers instead .I replied it's not allowed He said we wrap them in black bags then in the store bag .The TV only sees 2 bottles.This was in the port duty free shop.We never had a problem any time if it was in your carry on .those who carried it on in their hands in the liquer shops bag had it taken from them ,forms filled out & left on a table for all to see .even at Ports of call we bought local booze & it was never taken from us if in the carry on bag. That was the difference. I know my bag turned the light on the machine from green to red I waited but nobody came to inspect it so I picked it up & carried on.

Thanks for the info, as we are boarding the Galaxy next week. :D

Did you have a good cruise? What were your favorite beaches?

Donna

Official policy from Celebrity web site:

"No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom , but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00."

ok - dumb question time. If I carry on the 2 bottles of wine and have my own corkscrew to open the bottles in the cabin ourselves, do we still have to pay the corkage fee???

ok - dumb question time. If I carry on the 2 bottles of wine and have my own corkscrew to open the bottles in the cabin ourselves, do we still have to pay the corkage fee???

There is no corkage fee for opening the bottles in your room, even if you use the ship's corkscrew (there is usually one in the room and even if there isn't your steward can get one for you). Your steward will even get you wine glasses on request, if they aren't already in the room, and will also bring you a bucket of ice to chill down white wines, if requested.

The corkage fee is for bringing your bottle of wine to the dining areas and will be accessed even if you open it yourself. While called a corkage fee it really is to replace lost revenue in these areas - also a common practice at land based restaurants that sell wine and also allow patrons to bring their own.

According to the rules there is also a fee for bringing your wine to a lounge bar, although I've never known anyone that did that. I have known people that have carried a glass of wine from their cabin to dinner or a bar to meet people and there has never been a charge or an issue. I've also taken a bottle of our own champagne up on deck for sail-away (both initial and island sail aways) to enjoy the view and never been asked for payment - but we haven't taken up seats in a bar or lounge with it.

Archived