Labadee Zip Line Panic

mom3qts

I was just looking at the RC website and noticed that there is a minimum height of 60" required for the zip line. Is this a relatively new requirement? My DD11 has been looking forward to this for months, she just makes the 75lb requirement, but misses the 60" by 3". Have any small people done this recently, and how picky are they on the 60"? Does everyone ride separate or could she possibly ride tandem with her father or sister? (No way I'm going down that thing!) :eek:

Yes, everyone rides seperate. Not possible to double up. I don't know how picky they are about the height, but we had a guy in our group that wt'd in at 202 that day, and they wouldn't let him go because the wt limit was 200 lb.

Hope she is not dissapointed, but if it's for her own safety, then I would rather her be safe and not get to zip.

It was an awesome experience, would love to do it again, but at those prices we might just say "been there, done that"..

Hope this helps.

Pat

They are very strict. When I was there, there was a child who barely met the requirement. He fell out of the seat on the way down. He was not in any danger, because of all the safety straps, but hanging by the straps could not have been comfortable for him.

Another family had booked and did not check the height restrictions and they turned the kids away (crying).

Don't get their hopes up that they will be able to go if they do not meet the restrictions.

Yes, everyone rides seperate. Not possible to double up. I don't know how picky they are about the height, but we had a guy in our group that wt'd in at 202 that day, and they wouldn't let him go because the wt limit was 200 lb.

Pat

Hi Pat~

I just booked this-- and read that the weight limit is 250....

Are you sure it's 200?

I have to say that I find these restirctions absurd. Hubby did it in May on the very first day it was open. IF there had been a 200lb restriction he (and a good number of the men that were in his group) woudl not have been allowed to use the zipline. I do know that day they felt people were going to fast (none of the riders complained!). I'm wondering if they keep the weight restrictions they feel people will ride slower.

Yes, I agree the $80 is a bit steep. They have gone up in price (I believe) a couple of times since they opened. I guess they feel they'll get whatever they choose to charge.

As far as a person 'falling out of their seat', I'm not sure how that can be since there are (were) no seats. They were strictly harnesses that you were strapped into. These wrapped around your legs and body. Maybe they don't (can't) tighten up enough for smaller people?

Other than that hubby stated he absolutely LOVED it and was so glad he did it. Add that to been there done that list.

Erika

How strenuous is the zipline excursion? I've read that there's ropes and bridges and a lot of hiking and I'm wondering if you have to be in really great physical shape to do this. Also, if you're zipping along at a pretty good pace, how can you really see much? It seems like you'd just go by so fast that you wouldn't be able to observe much of anything. Anyone who's done this, if you could please give me more detailed info, I'd appreciate it. We would't be doing it in Labadee, though, as our upcoming cruise is to the Southern Caribbean, but I think they have it in St. Martin and I'm assuming they'd be pretty similar.

I wonder if they all have the height requirement? We are doing ziplines in Roatan through Victor Bodden tours with no mention of height requirement. I, also, have a DD who is small for her age, so she might not be able to do it.

I guess I need to email Victor and check on this. Thanks for the heads up!

I have done the zipline in Jamaica and Costa Rica, much more worth the price than that one zip in labadee in my opinion.

In Costa Rica we had a young girl with us. They want a minimum weight because if their weight isnt heavy enough to bring them thru the zip they will get stuck and have to pull themsleves to the end. It was our friends daughter and she did a great job, she didnt make it all the way a few times, but she just pulled herself in (its pretty easy)

I have heard labadee is by the far the strictest when it comes to all those requirements. Neither place I went to weighed or measured anyone that was with us.

For the record, I love zipling and would do it again in a heart beat. The one in costa rica was wonderful and so much fun! The one in jamaica was fun too but I didnt like that you had to wait on each platform for everyone else to come down before you could go to the next one. In costa rica we got to go thru all 13 zips quickly which made it a lot more fun.

Archived