Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We are staying the night at the Airport Hilton in August before our Alaska cruise. It looks like there are mostly Asian restaurants nearby. Do you have a suggestion for a good one? Would prefer something casual and not real expensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!

I love this board and have learned so much about Vancouver. Wish we were staying a couple of nights but time won't allow.

Thanks

Elaine

I could be wrong but I believe that the Landis and the Cascadia share some services like parking etc.

I will actually be at the Cascadia for at least 12 hours tomorrow as I am working on the local election as a polling officer and there are a number of polls located at the hotel.

If I get a break during the day and that is not guaranteed I will see if I can find out anything about the relationship between the two entities.

Cheers

Dennis

We are staying the night at the Airport Hilton in August before our Alaska cruise. It looks like there are mostly Asian restaurants nearby. Do you have a suggestion for a good one? Would prefer something casual and not real expensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!

I love this board and have learned so much about Vancouver. Wish we were staying a couple of nights but time won't allow.

Thanks

Elaine

Even though I live in Richmond, I'm not familiar with any good asian cuisine.

I can recommend casual fare that is not too expensive. At the corner of Westminster Hwy and No 3 Road(by the London Drugs) there is a Milestone's Restaurant. It's about a blocks walk. There is also a White Spot, Sammy J Peppers and Cactus Club on No 3 Road within walking distance of your hotel.

If I get a break during the day and that is not guaranteed I will see if I can find out anything about the relationship between the two entities.

Cheers

Dennis

Very clever Watson...there is nothing quite a little on the ground research.:D

CAn any of you Vancouverites help me on this one? I know there is a store either on Water or Hornby called something like Maple products or Maple something. I need to know where it is as both addresses are showing up on various web sites and also if they are open on sunday mornings. I know Vancouver isn't exactly maple headquarters but having grown up in the east of Canada, my whole family is crazy about maple butter which we can't get in California where we now live, unless it is ordered. I saw this store advertised somewhere but when I tried to find out about it I got both addresses. Maybe they moved from one to the other? Thanx for any info:o

And PD - if you and DW haven't already done so make sure that you vote tomorrow.

Cheers

Dennis

Done deal....we voted early so we could vote often.:D

Actually I am spending the whole day from 7:45 am thru counting time up at beautiful downtown Madeira Park watching after 6 polls and running across the street to fax the sheets to campaign HQs....you know the drill.:)

CAn any of you Vancouverites help me on this one? I know there is a store either on Water or Hornby called something like Maple products or Maple something. I need to know where it is as both addresses are showing up on various web sites and also if they are open on sunday mornings. I know Vancouver isn't exactly maple headquarters but having grown up in the east of Canada, my whole family is crazy about maple butter which we can't get in California where we now live, unless it is ordered. I saw this store advertised somewhere but when I tried to find out about it I got both addresses. Maybe they moved from one to the other? Thanx for any info:o

Here is a link to the one on Water Street which is in Gastown, about a 5 min walk from Canada Place. They are the only location that I am aware of; I phoned them and they open at 10 am on Sunday mornings.

http://mapledelights.com//content/en-US/fiche_bistros.aspx?BistroID=3

The person asking about the maple delights is correct - there used to be a location on Hornby but it is now closed and is another restaurant.

As for the Landis/Cascadia - I walked down the lane behind the two properties and there is only one parking lot and it is underneath the Cascadia.

PD - too bad you aren't coming over til Wednesday otherwise we could share a drink at the "L" party bash at the Convention center tomorrow night. Stopped by our campaign HQ"s this afternoon to wish everyone good luck and got to talk to the candidate for a moment and wish her luck - my riding is considered safe for the "L's" so it should be a victory party.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

PD - too bad you aren't coming over til Wednesday otherwise we could share a drink at the "L" party bash at the Convention center tomorrow night.

Cheers

Dennis

I'll be at the big one here in Sechlet, on Cowrie St, next to the fish store...what more could a guy want.:rolleyes: Probably by the time I get back down from Pender Harbour the food will have been eaten and the "wobbly pops" drank.

Thank you Tweedy for the restaurant suggestions. We didn't necessarily want Asian but it looked like that was about all that was around. We mostly wanted something we could afford the night before our cruise:D.

We will be checking one of your suggestions!!!

Thanks again

Elaine

Thank you Tweedy for the restaurant suggestions. We didn't necessarily want Asian but it looked like that was about all that was around. We mostly wanted something we could afford the night before our cruise:D.

We will be checking one of your suggestions!!!

Thanks again

Elaine

Your welcome. I answered while at work so here are a couple of links for quick reference:

Milestones

White Spot

Cactus Club

Sammy J Peppers

Just click on any of the restaurants above to go to their website. They are all within the same price range ($12 - $20).

If you head towards Gilbert Road (west), there is the Foggy Dew Irish Pub. I've note been there but heard the food is pretty good.

Thank you....they have been messing with my head for 39 years now and I am starting to wonder if I will live long enough to ever see them win a Stanley Cup. They had many of the ingredients to make a run for it this year and I am not sure how many of those assets will be in place next year. Oh well hope springs eternal.

With the Canucks finished and the election over with today - well at least the voting part - the belly aching will continue forever - I might just be able to start getting back to a normal life.

Heading up the street to the polling station in a few minutes so no more posts from me until late tonight.

PD - in case you are interested - the score tonight will be GC 48 CJ 37

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

May I suggest that you try bidding for a room on Priceline.com. We have been reading many post this season of CCs getting 4* hotels in the $75 to $150 range. No 4*hotel in the downtown area is really much further than another from the Sea Wall. :)

Putterdude this is the way to go. I just got the Pan Pacific for $93 + tax USD for 8/27.

Now a question we are on Royal Caribbean so how far is there pier from this hotel? We are taking the train from Seattle. What would you suggest for a afternoon tour?

Edited by ACL

Is the Pan Pacific considered a 4 or 5* with Priceline? Were you aiming to get the Pan Pacific?

It i rated 4* on Priceline. I really thought I would get the Hyatt as that is what had been posted on better bidding dot com. I was shocked when it came up Pan Pacific.

Our cruise (Coral Princess) concludes in Vancouver and we are flying out of Seattle the next morning. Would it be possible for us to take the amtrac train from Vancouver to Seattle. Is transportation from cruise port to train station readily available? Or would a bus be a better idea? Can we pre reserve our tickets for transportation? How is this done? Many thanks!!!!

Putterdude this is the way to go. I just got the Pan Pacific for $93 + tax USD for 8/27.

Now a question we are on Royal Caribbean so how far is there pier from this hotel? We are taking the train from Seattle. What would you suggest for a afternoon tour?

Wow that is a great deal, that is about a 1/3 of of the normal rack rate.

You will be about a mile or so from the Ballantyne Pier, it is in an industrial area and your only option from hotel to peir is cab...about $12. From Amtrak to hotel your cab fare will be about $15 or if you wish you can walk across the street and take SkyTrain for $2.50 (CDN) pp to the Waterfront Station and the PP is about 100 paces west; you do need CDN funds for this option but they do take Visa and debit cards and you must be able to handle your own luggage.

For an afternoon tour you may care to take one of the HOHO's or a tour with Vancouver Tours...here are some links:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Our cruise (Coral Princess) concludes in Vancouver and we are flying out of Seattle the next morning. Would it be possible for us to take the amtrac train from Vancouver to Seattle. Is transportation from cruise port to train station readily available? Or would a bus be a better idea? Can we pre reserve our tickets for transportation? How is this done? Many thanks!!!!

Yes you can take Amtrak, there is one train southbound that leave Vancouver at 5:45 in the afternoon. If you can handle your own luggage you can use SkyTrain as I have noted in the above post or you can take a cab...the fare from the downtown to the Amtrak Station will be about $15. Your other optiion to go to Seattle is to use Quick Coach:

www.quickcoach.com/

With the Canucks finished and the election over with today - well at least the voting part - the belly aching will continue forever - I might just be able to start getting back to a normal life.

Heading up the street to the polling station in a few minutes so no more posts from me until late tonight.

PD - in case you are interested - the score tonight will be GC 48 CJ 37

Cheers

Dennis

Wow you pretty much nailed the outcome. We didn't get our canadidate elected up here but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the ineffective member we have was going back in so it was no surprise. Like the Canucks we need to re-tool the machine, get a creditable candidate...likely from Powell River and get started next week for the next election. In the meantime my feet are killing me having spent over 13 hrs up at Pender Harbour and then an hour or so CHQ sucking on a few wobbly pops.

We are off to town on the 2:30 ferry and won't be back until Monday so I won't be posting 'til then.