Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks for all of the information.

We will be staying at the Hampton Inn Downtown this August pre cruise. I am aware that it is on the edge of downtown. Are there problems walking from there to Gastown, Yaletown etc at night?

I appreciate your reply.

We will be staying at the Hampton Inn Downtown this August pre cruise. I am aware that it is on the edge of downtown. Are there problems walking from there to Gastown, Yaletown etc at night?

I appreciate your reply.

No, you should have not problems at all.

Not a problem at all. There's a lot of construction going on with the re-roofing of the stadium right now, which has caused the sidewalk on the south side of Beattie to be closed intermittantly, but other than that, it's a good area. Walk a few blocks up Robson and there's a big selection of places to eat.

Putterdude and scottbee I appreciate your replies.

There are a number of entries on various threads about the potential waits on embarking at Canada Place. Is this the norm rather than the exception?

Also, is there only one drop off point for luggage when there is more than one ship docked or are there separate porter stations, as we have had in many ports.

Thanks

If you arrive at Canada Place between 10:30 and noon you are likely going to encounter lines, however the to dissipate after 12pm. There is only one spot to drop off luggage, you will be asked which ship you are on the porters will put the luggage on a cart going to that that ship. Once inside the terminal you will then be directed to the appropriate line and frankly I have not found them to be worse than anywhere else when we have arrived before noon.

Putterdude and scottbee I appreciate your replies.

There are a number of entries on various threads about the potential waits on embarking at Canada Place. Is this the norm rather than the exception?

Also, is there only one drop off point for luggage when there is more than one ship docked or are there separate porter stations, as we have had in many ports.

Thanks

They'll ask which ship you want (for luggage). As for the waits, it does depend a lot on how many ships are in town. The longest way is for USA pre-clearance (you clear US Immigration and Customs prior to boarding so you don't have to in your 1st Alaska port of call).

If you arrive at Canada Place between 10:30 and noon you are likely going to encounter lines, however the to dissipate after 12pm. There is only one spot to drop off luggage, you will be asked which ship you are on the porters will put the luggage on a cart going to that that ship. Once inside the terminal you will then be directed to the appropriate line and frankly I have not found them to be worse than anywhere else when we have arrived before noon.

We are taking the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Vancouver the morning of our cruise with arrival in Vancouver scheduled for 11:40am so we may possible be at Canada Place by noon, if lucky (business class train seats). How long do you suspect it will take for us to simply leave our luggage with a porter so we may walk to Gastown before embarking??

We are taking the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Vancouver the morning of our cruise with arrival in Vancouver scheduled for 11:40am so we may possible be at Canada Place by noon, if lucky (business class train seats). How long do you suspect it will take for us to simply leave our luggage with a porter so we may walk to Gastown before embarking??

The porters will just take your luggage from you, verify the ship you are sailing on, it will take about 2 minutes and you will be free to move about the city.

We will be staying one night pre-cruise at the Ramada Limited on W. Pender St. I'm looking for restaurant recommendations within walking distance of the hotel. Steak house, seafood -- we're not too picky! ;) Would prefer something "local" and not a chain.

Thanks.

Leigh Ann

We will be staying one night pre-cruise at the Ramada Limited on W. Pender St. I'm looking for restaurant recommendations within walking distance of the hotel. Steak house, seafood -- we're not too picky! ;) Would prefer something "local" and not a chain.

Chambar would fit the bill. About 4 blocks away; definitely local and not an average run of the mill place

http://www.chambar.com/

I am going on the Rhapsody of the Seas in May, We leave out of Canada Place Pier in Vancouver. Does anyone have a hotel in the Vancouver area they recommend? I would like to find a hotel that will pick me up from the airport and take me to the boat but I am not finding that. Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

I am going on the Rhapsody of the Seas in May, We leave out of Canada Place Pier in Vancouver. Does anyone have a hotel in the Vancouver area they recommend? I would like to find a hotel that will pick me up from the airport and take me to the boat but I am not finding that. Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

To my knowledge there are no hotels that have a free shuttle from the airport to hotel and a cab fare will run you about $35. The only downtown hotels that offer a "free" shuttle from hotel to the pier are the Hampton Inn on Robson St. and the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St. However as cab fares from most downtown hotels to the pier will be less than $10, I would be more inclined to focus on the hotel rate rather than a free shuttle. You are likely going to get your best rate by bidding on Priceline.com. You choose the bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown, then 3*+ and then start bidding at about $90 and for less than $135 you should get an excellent room in a good hotel in a good area.

Hello, any advice on the quickest and easiest (and least costly) way to get from Canada Place to the airport in Seattle after a cruise? Is there a shuttle, train or are there rental cars available near the port? What would be the earliest flight you would book from Seattle? Thanks for the help!

You have three options:

1. rent a car and drive which would likely be the most expensive unless there are 4 or more of you.
  2. Amtrak which operates a train southbound at 5:40 PM but then you have a transfer matter in Seattle.
  3. Quick Coach which goes directly to SEATAC.

I wouldn't be think of a flight until very late in the afternoon.

Here are some links for your convenience:

www.amtrakcascades.com/

www.quickcoach.com/ -

• 3 weeks later...

While this information was posted on another thread a few weeks ago by one of my fellow Vancouver posters, I thought I would post a link here for the "Celebration of Light". The fireworks event will occur in Vancouver on July 30th, Aug 3rd and Aug 6th. These are world class fireworks and well worth taking in if you happen to be fortunate enough to be in Vancouver on any of these evenings. The event used to be known as the "Symphony of Fire".

http://www.vancouverfireworks.ca/

Even before I ask my questions, I want to thank all the locals who have been so generous with their time and gracious in their responses. It is like having a personal concierge service and after reading most of this thread, I am now going to make use of the opportunity.

My DH and I are arriving on Thursday Sept 8th at mid day from AZ (through Oregon) for our first Alaskan cruise departing on the 10th. We are very excited. We both love using public transportation so my first question is if we land in the International terminal, how do we get to the 7-11 to buy our day pass or 10-ride ticket? We currently have a reservation at the Ramada Inn Downtown. I believe we would take the Skytrain to the Waterfront Station – is that correct?

We are planning on going to Granville Island that afternoon and taking in Gastown that evening. Friday we plan on spending a good portion of the day at Stanley Park and may fit in a Seabus ride to Lonsdale Quay Market and the evening in Chinatown. My DH has issues with heights so the suspension bridge will probably not be included on our things to see list. So, given our list, I am thinking that a day pass for each day is the best way to go – would you agree? Can I buy both days when we arrive?

I have a couple more questions but I will wait to follow-up with them. Thanks in advance for all your feedback. :)

Sheila

If you are planning on buying a day pass you can get those from the ticket machine.

PD - I beleive they are staying at the Pender St Ramada as I answered some questions about that hotel.

Cheers

Dennis

That's great, then why don't you answer their questions, I just didn't want to start and then find I didn't have it right.

Great game last night....but I have to admit that after the shorthanded goal I gave up and walk away from the TV.

Even before I ask my questions, I want to thank all the locals who have been so generous with their time and gracious in their responses. It is like having a personal concierge service and after reading most of this thread, I am now going to make use of the opportunity.

My DH and I are arriving on Thursday Sept 8th at mid day from AZ (through Oregon) for our first Alaskan cruise departing on the 10th. We are very excited. We both love using public transportation so my first question is if we land in the International terminal, how do we get to the 7-11 to buy our day pass or 10-ride ticket? We currently have a reservation at the Ramada Inn Downtown. I believe we would take the Skytrain to the Waterfront Station – is that correct?

We are planning on going to Granville Island that afternoon and taking in Gastown that evening. Friday we plan on spending a good portion of the day at Stanley Park and may fit in a Seabus ride to Lonsdale Quay Market and the evening in Chinatown. My DH has issues with heights so the suspension bridge will probably not be included on our things to see list. So, given our list, I am thinking that a day pass for each day is the best way to go – would you agree? Can I buy both days when we arrive?

I have a couple more questions but I will wait to follow-up with them. Thanks in advance for all your feedback. :)

Sheila

what ship are you on? DH and I are also flying to Vancouver on the 8th for a cruise on the 10th. We will be on the Coral Princess, if you are too, we have a roll call started.