Sterling Dining Room on Diamond ????also Horizon court

vivalv66

We just got back from a 1 day cruise. Seattle to Vancouver on the Sapphire. We are going for a week on the Diamond in November.

We chose preferred dining and ate at Sterling. Have read great reviews about the steaks and choices. Was very very disappointed. Had 2 choices of steaks. Chose Nebraska prime rib. It was awful. (we are from Nebraska).

My question is---Do you think it was not as good and the choices so limited because it was a 1 day only cruise??

The Horizon Court wasn't very impressive either. Do they ever make fresh omelets or hamburgers etc. or is it always just heated buffet food?

The lines were confusing also.

Other than that the ship was awesome!!!

Thanks fro any info.

Hello - I have been on many coastals, as well as week long cruises on both the Diamond and the sister ship Sapphire. In my opinion, the shorter cruises are not nearly as high of quality or service as the longer cruises. The place to get made to order burgers is at the grill on the pool deck, however it is opened only from 11-6pm.

We ate twice in the Sterling steakhouse on the Diamond this last weekend, and twicein the Steakhouse on the Sapphire in the last three days. I have also eaten in the Sterling steakhouse on the ships where you pay extra money for the meal. In my opinion these experiences were of higher quality than the Diamond/Sapphire option as a PC restaurant, but I still enjoyed my steak very much on these voyages this last week.

They had the lines laid out in the buffet in a way I have never seen on the Diamond, with it funneling people through as one entire line. I thought this was a disaster compared to how it normally works, where people kind of ewander around and get what they need and get out. The solid line doesnt work if I just want to hop in and get dessert or something. But that was unusual, they were not doing it on the Sapphire just two days later.

Definalty give Princess another chance, on a longer cruise!

Casey

This may be a weird comment, BUT, we're from Kansas and have learned the hard way that steaks outside of TX, OK, KS are often NOT that wonderful to us, although they are good to others.

We rarely get steaks when traveling anymore due to many disappointing experiences, but we did try the Diamond's Sterling Restaurant's steaks in April just to see for ourselves. They were actually good (not great) and we've been disappointed by the regular Princess steaks many times previously.

To be fair, we do recognize that seafood, especially lobster, is not that whoopy here in KS. To us the seafood on the Princess cruises is fabulous! Everything is relative, I guess.

Archived