Paying the balance of my cruise

m.w.

I'm based in the UK but have booked a cruise on the QE2 later this year through an American website. I paid the deposit using a credit card but the rate I got wasn't as good as if I had exchanged sterling for US$ using a foreign exchange company and remitted that to the travel agent.

I now want to pay the balance by arranging a bank transfer instead of using a credit card. The agent tell me that they I can't pay them because they just give credit card details to Cunard. I don't seem to be able to contact Cunard in the States to see how to pay them direct because no matter what I do, the Cunard website defaults to cunard.co.uk. I am a bit concerned about contacting Cunard in the UK in case there is some issue about booking through the States when I am in England (although the travel agent assured me that was not a problem before I booked).

Does anyone have any ideas or know how I can contact the admin department of Cunard in America?

You can get into the non-UK Cunard website by going through www.anonymouse.org. Hope this helps.

Mary

anonymouse works well - though the pop ups are a wee bit annoying...

The problem is, you have purchased the cruise through an agent so you must pay them not Cunard direct. A bit like buying Heinz beans from ASDA and paying Heinz not Asda.

Well put. (Please note, other brands of baked beans are available...).

Also, what did your credit card statement say re. who took the payment for your deposit?

I'm in the US and book through a US TA. My credit card statements always identify "Cunard Line Miami FL," never my TA, when the charge appears. I think it's the TA that puts the charge through. When the new trainee got the expiration date wrong last month, she contacted me to check my info, and it sounded like she had the problem, not Cunard.

BTW, a bit of advice. If a TA (or any merchant for that matter) tells you that your card was declined, even if you know the reason why (like the wrong expiration date), call the credit card company. The TA trainee tried three times to process the charge, at which point, the credit card company locked down my account--even with MY password on MY computer, I couldn't access my account record to see if there were unauthorized charges. When I called and finally gave sufficient ID info, the credit card company unlocked the account for me. They said that three failed attempts to use the card shuts down the account.

The problem is, you have purchased the cruise through an agent so you must pay them not Cunard direct. A bit like buying Heinz beans from ASDA and paying Heinz not Asda.

But is it? The entry on my credit card statement for the deposit refers to Cunard Line Miami. So to take your analogy, that's like buying Heinz baked beans in Asda but being charged by Heinz and not Asda. If I was paying Asda, surely they wouldn't have any issue with me putting my coins in their hand, rather than saying that they couldn't accept my cash because Heinz were the ones I needed to pay?

Surely they (either Cunard or the TA) can't insist on me paying by credit card rather than cash? I don't recall anyone telling me that before I booked.

Obviously I can pay by credit card if I have no option, but I'm not keen to pay over £100 more than I need to to Barclaycard when I have much better uses for that money!

Obviously I can pay by credit card if I have no option, but I'm not keen to pay over £100 more than I need to to Barclaycard when I have much better uses for that money!

If you have a Nationwide or Post Office account, pay on that. Some of the difference in exchange rate you experienced may actually have been charges levied by your bank for a foreign currency transaction. Nationwide and the Post Office don't charge for these.

Mary

If you have a Nationwide or Post Office account, pay on that. Some of the difference in exchange rate you experienced may actually have been charges levied by your bank for a foreign currency transaction. Nationwide and the Post Office don't charge for these.

Mary

I applied for a Nationwide card earlier today as I realised this from reading something else on this forum. Not sure how long it will take mind you. Thanks for the tip though.

Surely they (either Cunard or the TA) can't insist on me paying by credit card rather than cash? I don't recall anyone telling me that before I booked.

If I pay my TA in the UK with a credit card, they charge me 2 or 3% for the privalege. 2006, they forwarded the card onto Cunard who did not charge, 2007 and 2008, they charge so I pay by cheque to the TA. I know to a point that messes my beans up, but the card is presented by the TA with me present, whereas if you book through the US TA you are not present at either, and that may be the reason.

You do have the pay through agency, not Cunard direct.

I can't imagine an agency not being able to handle a wire transfer. I do it all the time...especially with finals for world cruises.

I would have covered payment methods before booking with the agency however.

Just remember that funds do have to be AT Cunard 90 days prior to your sailing. Also when using your card for US purchases, notify your card holder to expect a charge from the US.

As a general rule you should always pay your transportation bills by credit card--whether cruise or air. While this would never be the case with Cunard (a subsidiary of cruise super company Carnival), a cruise line or air carrier could go bankrupt and if you have paid by credit card you will get your money back but if you paid cash you will probably not take your trip or get your money back.

Archived