Explorer out of "Cape Liberty" (Bayonne, NJ)

You get the best view of Lady Liberty while you're in port as that is when you are the closest. Once you start to sail, you will be sailing further away from her.

I agree with everyone else; the best views are from the top deck. That is when you really do appreciate how close you really are to the bridge that you pass under.

If you want some really cool views, check out the harbor when your are returning to port in the early morning. We got in just as the sun was coming up and it was really something to see (you have to be an earlier riser though).

Thanks. We've sailed out of NY previously (from Manhattan), and so have done the "bridge thing" and sailed past the Lady.

But, all else being equal, if there is a choice of "better side" I figured I would ask. Given that we are looking at a November sailing, I don't know how long we'd be interested in staying all the way up top - would much prefer to see the sights from the comfort of our balcony (not that it will be as cold as cruising the Alaskan glaciers).

Thanks again.

Agreed -- you're much better off being up top to watch the sail away to get the full 360 degree view!

Dave85,

Noticed you are from the Island. Did you drive to Bayonne and park? Any suggestions for getting to the port from the Upper East Side (with a spouse and young child in tow). I planned on just driving and sucking up the parking fee - I've got to believe its less than a car service in two directions (I think $15/day).

Misty: We used a towncar service both previous times out of Bayonne, however we're debating saving some money for our upcoming Explorer cruise. Honestly, for us the savings would probably be small... I'm not sure how the pricing would run for you out of the city. $15/day + tax can run up pretty high on a 9-night cruise.

The biggest factor beyond price is, of course, the hassle factor... There's nothing easier than just getting dropped off there and walking right in. If you determine that cost isn't a big factor for you (relative to parking yourself) I'd recommend just using a car service.

We MAY drive ourselves this time just to try it out... Not sure when you're sailing, but if we do I'll definitely compare the two options in my review when we get back.

Dizzy's lounge is the best place to watch sailaway during the winter months. DH and I were on Explorer in Dec last year and will be there again this November. The bar is up in the 14th deck I think right above the pool area. Nice place to sit while going under the bridge but nice and warm.

Misty: We used a towncar service both previous times out of Bayonne, however we're debating saving some money for our upcoming Explorer cruise. Honestly, for us the savings would probably be small... I'm not sure how the pricing would run for you out of the city. $15/day + tax can run up pretty high on a 9-night cruise.

The biggest factor beyond price is, of course, the hassle factor... There's nothing easier than just getting dropped off there and walking right in. If you determine that cost isn't a big factor for you (relative to parking yourself) I'd recommend just using a car service.

We MAY drive ourselves this time just to try it out... Not sure when you're sailing, but if we do I'll definitely compare the two options in my review when we get back.

I am trying to convince my husband that it won't be that bad to sail out of Bayonne, but he thinks the Atlantic is going to be really rough. Is there a better time of the year?

Julie: the Atlantic can be rough at any time of the year... keep in mind that during the warmer weather months, hurricanes become a factor.

Just based on my own experience, however, we've cruised twice out of NY (once to Canada on Carnival Destiny, once to the Caribbean on Carnival Legend) and twice out of Bayonne (once to Canada and once to the Caribbean on Voyager OTS) all during the summer months... the seas were only really rough once (the return trip on VOS from the Caribbean).

On the whole, I'd say you're safer betting on calmer seas early in the summer, but bad weather or specifically the dreaded "cold fronts" which afflicted my Carnival Liberty cruise a couple of months ago can pop up at any time.

I am trying to convince my husband that it won't be that bad to sail out of Bayonne, but he thinks the Atlantic is going to be really rough. Is there a better time of the year?

Spring out of the NY harbor is a fairly good time. Temps are wraming up and it's not hurricane season yet.

Archived