Has anyone rented a car in St. Kitts? Is it recommended?

michalanajon

We rented a car when we stopped in St. Kitts in December 2005 and are going to do it again this April. There is an Avis rental agency about a 5-minute walk from the cruise ship. You can book on-line before you go. You have to get a driver's license, which was $24 last time we were there. The one down side is that they don't open until 8:00; our ship docks at 7:00. But even though we were only there until 3:00, we still felt renting the car was worth it and we had plenty of time to do what we wanted.

It wasn't too difficult to get out of town and once you're out there, there's basically just one road that goes around the northern part of the island and one that goes down the southern peninsula. We just went all the way down the southern peninsula, stopping at the various beaches along the way. Driving is on the left and our car had the steering wheel on the right side of the car, but it wasn't too hard to get used to.

I would definitely recommend doing this, but let me know if you have any other questions.

I would recommend it also. The driving is on the left. The temp license is still $ 24. Drive carefully and watch out for sudden stops by the local traffic and the goats, sheep & cattle.

Thanks for the information! I was thinking about touring with one of the guides, but thought it would be better and cheaper to rent a car. Any idea of how much it is for the day to rent? Are there any other charges besides insurance and of course gas?

We've booked a compact car (Kia Rio or similar) at a base rate of $55.00. Then you add the $1.50 surcharge and the $2.75 tax, for a total of $59.25.

Don't think you can do much better than that with one of the tours. Plus, this way you have the freedom to do what you want and for as long as you want!

I've heard that Cockleshell is awesome and was planning to go there, so thanks for the input....but recently saw pictures of South Frigate....it looked real nice with great views.....have you been there? Would you recommend checking that one out as well if we have a car?

Archived