Things to do in San Pedro

So I have read a lot of threads about staying at either the The Crowne Plaza or Doubletree pre-cruise. But which one is better? I would like to get out and walk around a bit maybe find a good restaurant for dinner and also a liquor store for purchasing wine for the cruise. Which is the better place to stay? Thanks a bunch for your replies.

Laura

CP is a little closer to the restaurants and such, but I like the doubletree hotel better...so its a toss up...could you take a cab around? If not CP may be better for you

We land in LA and will be heading straight to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro arriving about 10:30 p.m. Will there be any place to eat that late as we have a 5 hour flight and a 3 hour time change from the midwest?

Not lot to see walking around in San Pedro, but check out the Los Angeles Maritime Museum http://www.sanpedrochamber.com/champint/lamartmu.htm or the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium http://www.cabrilloaq.org/ (lots of good info about whales).

Thanks for those links. I was wondering if anyone knows this: After looking at the site, I wasn't clear on whether you could visit the Los Angeles Maritime Museum without an appointment. It said to call for appointment for tour, but can you just look around without a tour?

We land in LA and will be heading straight to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro arriving about 10:30 p.m. Will there be any place to eat that late as we have a 5 hour flight and a 3 hour time change from the midwest?

Arriving at the Crowne Plaza at 10:30 pm, you are going to have trouble finding any restaurant still open (save maybe a fast food place or two)...

Place like the San Pedro Brewing Company may be open late on weekends...but probably just the bar...I don't know if they still serve food after about 10...

Best thing to do is to call thehotel front desk and ask...those guys likely know every restaurant nearby...

In a pinch, the Crowne Plaza site says they have 24 hour room service...

San Pedro Brewing Company closes their kitchen at 10pm.

On Harbor Blvd next to the Sunrise Hotel is the Grinder (Denny's, Coco's type of restaurant) and their kitchen closes at midnight Sun-Thurs and 1am Fri-Sat.

Acapulco Restaurant: Kitchen closes at 11p fri-sat

Both of these are within walking distance of the CP.

If you are looking for wine there is a new wine shoppe at the corner of 6th and Pacific called Off The Vine (3 blocks west of the CP). Only place to get quality wine in the Downtown area. For spirits there is 7th Street Liquor at the corner of 7th and Centre (2 blocks west of CP).

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: My wife and I are the owners of Off The Vine.

It appears that someone with a bookstore has hijacked the Maritime Museum's website homepage...I wonder if they know this?

Here is the page about visiting them:

http://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/visit.htm

You only need an appointment to visit their archives/library. The rest of the museum is drop-in. Pay your $3 and spend as much time as you wish.

Call them before you go. I bet they don't know their website has been hijacked!

It appears that someone with a bookstore has hijacked the Maritime Museum's website homepage...I wonder if they know this?

Here is the page about visiting them:

http://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/visit.htm

You only need an appointment to visit their archives/library. The rest of the museum is drop-in. Pay your $3 and spend as much time as you wish.

Call them before you go. I bet they don't know their website has been hijacked!

Thanks. My kids will really enjoy this. They love things like this.

I just read the post where someone mentioned the San Pedro Brewing Company. I looked on mapquest and it is only .2 of a mile from the Crowne Plaza - which is great news.

How is the beer at the Brewing Company? Is there food good?

Looks like this may be a possibility. I am sure my DH will be getting tired of wine while visiting different sites and wineries in Santa Barbara.

San Pedro Brewing Company closes their kitchen at 10pm.

On Harbor Blvd next to the Sunrise Hotel is the Grinder (Denny's, Coco's type of restaurant) and their kitchen closes at midnight Sun-Thurs and 1am Fri-Sat.

Acapulco Restaurant: Kitchen closes at 11p fri-sat

Both of these are within walking distance of the CP.

If you are looking for wine there is a new wine shoppe at the corner of 6th and Pacific called Off The Vine (3 blocks west of the CP). Only place to get quality wine in the Downtown area. For spirits there is 7th Street Liquor at the corner of 7th and Centre (2 blocks west of CP).

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: My wife and I are the owners of Off The Vine.

We might have to come for a visit in November:D Do you have a website?

I just read the post where someone mentioned the San Pedro Brewing Company. I looked on mapquest and it is only .2 of a mile from the Crowne Plaza - which is great news.

Looks like this may be a possibility. I am sure my DH will be getting tired of wine while visiting different sites and wineries in Santa Barbara.

Is the Brewing Compnany a restaruant or a brewery?

Thanks for your interest. Our website is www.*****

The BrewCo (as we call it) is both a restaurant and brewery. Their beers are very good and have won several awards. The food is fantastic! Tri-tip sandwich is the BOMB!! Here is their link:

http://www.sanpedrobrewing.com/

Hope to see you all when you're in town!!

Do you an itinerary yet for your wine tasting?

Archived