FLU, recent Vision cruise

I was on the Vision of the Seas 2/17 to 2/24. Had a great cruise! When I got home I came down with really dangerous FLU. I know... could have caught the FLU anywhere and half the country is sick with it but it was very bad so I am curious. Anyone else have FLU after a great cruise on the Vision?

I had 2 people today ask me if I had come down with that horrible flu? I said (knock on wood) no I haven't. I don't think you can blame it on Vision, since it seems to be going around California. Even if the flu shot was off strain this year, it still might have helped with severity. :)

We were on the Vision last week for the 2/24 sailing. My husband started having flu symptoms around Friday. I started not feeling well on Sunday on the way home and got noro.

I was told by one crew member that we were on code red, because in PV on Thursday, we were docked next to the Rotherdam and they had a noro outbreak. Was also told the ship went code red for noro when they had 6 crew/passengers report in that they had GI symptoms. That day when everyone returned to the ship, the crew had out hand sanitizer and wipes when boarding and at food stations. Plus you could see the crew cleaning everywhere. By Friday, there was talk of matresses being removed from cabins and that sickness had broken out. Sunday you could smell from various cabins and public bathrooms that people were sick. A sad way to end the cruise, but I felt that RCCL did EVERYTHING possible to help cut down on the outbreak. Not sure if the other ship gave it to us, or that it is flu season and maybe DH picked it up from someone else.

DH and I are still recovering, but at least are over the worse of it.

wow- this is not a thread I want to read when we are leaving on the Vision in 2 DAYS!!! :eek:

any other comments about this? any other sick? I would think this wouldn't be a problem for this coming week.....RIGHT??? :eek:

ok- I will not panic, as this can happen anytime. :( *sigh*

Not sure if the other ship gave it to us, or that it is flu season and maybe DH picked it up from someone else.

Norovirus (frequently and erroneously referred to as "stomach flu") and the flu ("influenza virus") are two very different illnesses, although both caused by viruses. Glad you're feeling better.

Thanks for your replies. The Vision was the cleanest ship I have can remember. I was trying to pin-point where the flu, not NORO, came from. I now think it was the jet aircraft I returned home on. I had to ask for a damp cloth to clean uck off the window so my grandchild could see out of it! Have great cruises! :)

Hope you are feeling better now. Earlier this year DD got the flu, it is going around everywhere...fortunately we took Tamaflu from her onset and DW and I missed it, while DD was not as severe as could have been.

I agree with another poster who said stomach flu and Noro often do get confused, probably more so on ships with so much Noro talk on ships these days.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

DH did have the true flu-all upper symptoms-fever, swollen glands, soar throat, congestion coughing.

I had noro-slight fevor, and all lower stomach symptoms shall we say to be polite.

wow- this is not a thread I want to read when we are leaving on the Vision in 2 DAYS!!! :eek:

any other comments about this? any other sick? I would think this wouldn't be a problem for this coming week.....RIGHT??? :eek:

ok- I will not panic, as this can happen anytime. :( *sigh*

I was on the same 2/24-3/2 Vision sailing and there were 4 of us in our cabin & fortunately none of us got sick. Did notice extra cleaning going on. One of the sport guys even wiped down all of the shuffleboard equipment!!! & there was a cabin steward in our hall that was wiping all of the railings and the door knobs!!!

I developed a yucky cough, but the tree pollens are also very high right now where I live, so it could be that as easily as something from the ship.

Another CC member told me last week she has pneumonia, which either came from the ship or the trip home given the usual incubation time.

All I can say is, wash your hands as often as possible and use hand sanitizing wipes when soap and water isn't available.

I also have had something "yucky" and haven't been on a cruise in months! Why is it we always blame being on a cruise with getting sick? There are so many things going around right now. Personally, I think I caught mine from others at work....but I can't really blame them now, can I? Sometimes, just being on close proximity with a lot of other people, someone is bound to get "something". Just my $.02.

Archived