A Day in Anchorage w/ car rental. What's best rental and place to go?

dalspot

We will have a day in Anchorage in June at the end of our cruise.

Flight out does not leave until 9:40. We've decided we'd like to spend the day with a car rental and doing some sightseeing on our own.

What rental agencies would you recommend - as we'd like to pick up downtown and drop off at the airport? Do we leave our luggage at the hotel for the day and go with a smaller car, or rent something that we can tote our 4 suitcases around in?

We've done some research and it looks like driving down the Turnagain Hwy is a good option, tho it will be a repeat of a lot of scenery from the train trip north the previous day. We'd like to drive North perhaps also.

Other recommendations?

thanks!

Most car rental companies are in Anchorage. If you pickup downtown and

return at the airport you will pay more as a one-way rental.

You can also drive north towards eagle river and see part of Chugach State

Park.

I rented a car for us for Aug 08 from enterprise downtown and the guy told me it was a $40 drop off fee. A taxi is cheaper to the airport or look for a rental place that offers a shuttle to the airport. Fodors Alaska book has a list of car rental places in it and things to do. good luck Karon:)

We're renting from Enterprise downtown with an airport return. It's worth the $40 drop fee to be able to go right to the airport - but then I got a really good rate on my 8-day car rental. I don't think Avis or Hertz charge a drop fee for downtown pick-up and airport drop-off.

I highly recommend a trip to the Native Heritage Center for your day in Anchorage! And I could never get tired of seeing the same scenery in the Turnagain Arm. Earthquake Park and the float plane harbor are also worth a visit.

With a single day rental, I would just rent a car, picking the lowest rates available. The question is, how you are getting to Anchorage and when are you getting this car?? For clairfication it's the Seward Highway along the Turnagain Arm. You have 4 people?? It may offer more touring if you rent a car to begin with from Avis out of Whittier or Hertz out of Seward and enjoy some touring there?? Not sure of your current "train" transfer??

Do you have your lodging?

We're taking the train (AKRR) from Seward to Anchorage. I rather agree with CalifCruiser1 in that paying more for the more convenient drop-off at the airport would be worth it. A couple of the car rental companies I checked with will drop the car at your hotel. The hotel we've booked (Comfort Inn) does have a free shuttle to the airport, but by the time we get the car dropped off, get back to the hotel, then deal with waiting on a shuttle, we've wasted maybe an hour or more of time.

While driving up from Seward on a two-day rental might well indeed be cheaper, we prefer the train trip. Remember, we're railfans :)

The hotel we've booked (Comfort Inn) does have a free shuttle to the airport, but by the time we get the car dropped off, get back to the hotel, then deal with waiting on a shuttle, we've wasted maybe an hour or more of time.

QUOTE]

Shuttle?? Why? I would suggest just keeping the car and drive yourself direct to the airport for departure?? For the pickup, go with the most convenient, so what if it's $50 more- a very small amout of your overall costs. Time is more important with only one day.

That was exactly my point :) Makes paying a bit more to drop off at the airport worth it. Guess I didn't exactly say that right earlier :o

Now I just need to find out which rental company would be willing to bring the car to us at the hotel. Also briefly entertained the thought of taking the hotel shuttle to the airport to pick up the rental... but ... nah.. too much time wasted there too I think.

Thanks!!

QUOTE]

Shuttle?? Why? I would suggest just keeping the car and drive yourself direct to the airport for departure?? For the pickup, go with the most convenient, so what if it's $50 more- a very small amout of your overall costs. Time is more important with only one day.

I know very little about this other than there is a train depot at the Anchorage airport that is only used by cruise ship passengers. If the train transfer was arranged through the cruise line, can’t they take you all the way to the airport where you could rent the car and then not incur a drop fee?

I can't help you out with your questions about rental cars, but I do have some suggestions for day trips while in Anchorage.

First off, I want to echo a previous post about the Native Heritage Center. This is a great spot to stop at if you have any interest in other cultures. In my opinion this was a good stop and worth the price of admission.

If you're heading north you might want to run up to Wasilla to see the Iditarod Dog Sled Headquarters if you have the time and inclination. My teen-age stepdaughter really liked the puppies and enjoyed the wheeled dog sled ride whereas I enjoyed learning about the history and speaking with the son of the man who started up the Iditarod.

Also up north . . . stop by and see the Russian Orthodox church and brightly painted Native American spirit houses in Eklutna.

A highlight of my trips in the past (not by cruise ship) has been a drive to the Independence Gold Mine at Hatcher Pass . . . neat if you're into history and like ghost towns.

However, if I was me (and I am me) I would make the most of my day in Anchorage by going south for a drive down scenic Turnagain Arm . . . maybe you would get lucky and spot some whales or witness the bore tide or see some of the Dall sheep hanging out on the rocky overlooks near the highway. Honestly, this has got to be one of the most beautiful spots in all of America. If you've got the time and inclination and enjoy hiking going up to Crow Pass is worth the time . . . shoot the drive alone is pretty neat as you just keep driving up and up and up . . . and then start out the hike near a beautiful stream spilling down the mountain. The views as you hike are incredible and history buffs are rewarded by seeing some old mining equipment from the Girdwood Mine . . . if you keep hiking you will see the very beautiful Crystal Lake and if you keep going Raven Glacier.

If you're looking for an easier hike that is no less rewarding you can do the hike to Byron Glacier in Portage. This hike has very little elevation, but is scenic as portions of the trail run next to the melt off from Byron Glacier . . . and the added benefit is being able to stand right next to the actual glacier.

Speaking of Portage . . . if you've opted to head south and haven't done the Portage Glacier tour with the cruise this is probably as good a time as any . . . this is a fairly cheap tour and is interesting from an environmental aspect. Personally I liked hiking to Bryon Glacier more since I could get right up to it and actually touch the glacier . . . even more fun was doing some glacier trekking (did that on another trip), but you would need some ice crampons and other equipment to experience that.

Finally, kids and adults alike would probably enjoy Big Game Alaska while in the Portage/Girdwood area. Big Game Alaska offers you a great chance to see a lot of the Alaskan wildlife all in one place (although another good place is the zoo in Anchorage although I personally preferred BGA as this is a rehab facility.) If you're looking for that great up-close and personal shot of moose, bison, etc. this is the place.

Finally, if any of your family are Amazing Race fans and you want to relive a pivotal moment in last season's finale you can stop by the tiny Girdwood Airport . . . the finish line for the race last year . . . and a good place to rent a helicopter or plane ride to see the area from the sky.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to add that while in Girdwood you can also take in a great view without any work by stopping by the Alyeska Resort and taking the cable car to the top of the mountain for some great views . . . and then head back down or if you want to top off your trip with a posh dinner you can also eat out here . . . just be aware that there are no chicken nuggets on the menu here (as my teenage stepdaughter found out when she asked the waiter about them.) :D;)

Jake, that's great advice!! A visit to one of the sled dog camps and a gold mine are two things on our "must do" list while in Alaska.

Thanks!!

For clairfication it's not a "sled dog camp at the Wasilla Sled Dog Museum. Reddington dogs are trucked in daily and they give very short cart rides- but are the bargain in Alaska, was in the $5 range. I would still expect them to be less than $10 this season.

Eklutna has an excellent Spirit House tour, which I always highly recommend.

As for Turnagain Arm, indeed a spectacular scenic place, but the belugas are a rare sight and so is a bore tide.

. . . As for Turnagain Arm, indeed a spectacular scenic place, but the belugas are a rare sight and so is a bore tide.

Very true about the belugas . . . however the bore tide occurs just about every day . . . it's just that you don't always get to see the spectacular bore tide which is what most people would probably expect to see and I'm guessing that's what you meant by writing that it is rare. The two times I've been there (both times for over a week visiting my sister in Portage) I've seen the bore tide, but it has never been a very high bore tide unfortunately . . . but I still love the drive down Turnagain Arm.

http://alaska.org/bore-tides.jsp

I'm still trying to figure out WHY you are taking the train to ANC, THEN renting a car?????

Approx $140 for the train-Rental car FROM Seward=about $200.00 for the day.

Would sure simplify things-get the rental, put your luggage into it for the day+ and drop it off at the airport when you are ready to leave. INSTEAD, you will load luggage onto the train, have to get to the rental place (again handling luggage via taxi/shuttle, etc), load luggage into rental. You are WASTING a lot of time (and money) just moving luggage/trying to pick up a rental for a day.

Rent the car in Seward/Whittier, take a LEISURELY drive north, stop at Alaska Conservation Center, maybe Portage Glacier, have lunch at Alyeska (the tram/lunch combo is very good and the scenery spectacular). ENJOY the drive North.

The following day, if you get up early, early, you could even make it to Denali or part of the way there.

Renting a car when you get off the ship makes far more sense and gives you a lot more bang for the buck.

I'm still trying to figure out WHY you are taking the train to ANC, THEN renting a car?????

Approx $140 for the train-Rental car FROM Seward=about $200.00 for the day.

Would sure simplify things-get the rental, put your luggage into it for the day+ and drop it off at the airport when you are ready to leave. INSTEAD, you will load luggage onto the train, have to get to the rental place (again handling luggage via taxi/shuttle, etc), load luggage into rental. You are WASTING a lot of time (and money) just moving luggage/trying to pick up a rental for a day.

Rent the car in Seward/Whittier, take a LEISURELY drive north, stop at Alaska Conservation Center, maybe Portage Glacier, have lunch at Alyeska (the tram/lunch combo is very good and the scenery spectacular). ENJOY the drive North.

The following day, if you get up early, early, you could even make it to Denali or part of the way there.

Renting a car when you get off the ship makes far more sense and gives you a lot more bang for the buck.

Bottom line- they are rail fans. Overall, they certainly would get more "rail" excellence with the White Pass RR, which is top rated by the Railroad Historical Society. No rank for the Alaska RR. :)

I explained that in a previous post.....

While driving up from Seward on a two-day rental might well indeed be cheaper, we prefer the train trip. Remember, we're railfans :)

A lot of our entire trip is to experience various train excursions... we opted to fly into Seattle and take the train to Vancouver, have booked the WP&Y out of Skagway... I guess you have to be a railfan yourself to understand...

I have a 4-day Avis rental in July from the downtown Anchorage location. It was a lot cheaper than the airport location, no surprise there. And I can drop off the car at the airport for no extra charge. This was using an employee discount code, so maybe that made a difference. But check Avis anyway.

Also, the Tour Saver book has a coupon for the downtown Avis location, I don't recall all the conditions.

I think it's a great idea to rent a car for your last day in AK. I used to work for a rental agency at the Anchorage airport and know how insane it can get, though. Just make sure if you are going to be late picking up for any reason (even 15 minutes) to call the company and let them know as they are usually way overbooked in the summer. Also, if you are OK with a small car, go ahead and reserve it because we upgraded a lot of people when we had nothing left. You might be lucky enough to get plenty of room for a fraction of the cost.

I ended up reserving with our corporate AWD discount. They will deliver to us at the Comfort Inn and we will return at the airport. So no late pickup issues :)

thanks for all the advice. Can't wait!

Karen

Archived